Psycological Warfare

Palle Mathiasen

May 27, 1994, 11:21:15 AM5/27/94
Recently i have found, that psycological warfare plays an important
role in chess. At least i thik it does. Some of the ways to disturb
your opponent are.

1. Arrive late for the game, -> your opponent will fell shitty when you arrive
2. When in trouble hit the clock harder -> your opponent gets scared of playing
good moves.
3. Dont look at your opponent when you shake hands. -> He wonders what goes on
inside of your mind
4. Dont be the first to raise your arm when hands are to be shaken. -> Makes
you on top
5. if your opponent are in time trouble, then look repeatedly at the clock to
disturb his concentration, and make sure you lean in over the board.

If anyone has more suggestions please add 6,7,... to this list.

Actually i find that perfect playing conditions cannot be obtained when two
people meet at a chessboard, i find that these conditions can only be
obtained by seperating the players and connect them via monitors&computers.

What's your opinion ?

David Bush

May 27, 1994, 4:56:43 PM5/27/94

My notion of "perfect conditions" is closer to having two players who care
more about playing the game than impressing each other with the advanced
condition of their cranial rectosis.

No flame intended...

David

Trevor Varley

Jun 1, 1994, 9:16:00 AM6/1/94
pa...@stat.bio.aau.dk (Palle Mathiasen) writes:

PA>Recently i have found, that psycological warfare plays an important
PA>role in chess. At least i thik it does. Some of the ways to disturb
PA>your opponent are.

PA>1. Arrive late for the game, -> your opponent will fell shitty when you arri
PA>2. When in trouble hit the clock harder -> your opponent gets scared of play
PA> good moves.
PA>3. Dont look at your opponent when you shake hands. -> He wonders what goes
PA>inside of your mind
PA>4. Dont be the first to raise your arm when hands are to be shaken. -> Makes
PA>you on top
PA>5. if your opponent are in time trouble, then look repeatedly at the clock t
PA> disturb his concentration, and make sure you lean in over the board.

PA>If anyone has more suggestions please add 6,7,... to this list.

PA>Actually i find that perfect playing conditions cannot be obtained when two
PA>people meet at a chessboard, i find that these conditions can only be
PA>obtained by seperating the players and connect them via monitors&computers.

PA>What's your opinion ?

Actually, none of the above would work against a player with any kind of
powers of concentration.I can beat myself at times quite easily without
any help from my opponent.I find it merely rude when players act the way
you suggest in most of the above statements and when I find my opponent
to be rude, it actually gives me more impetus to beat him/her.

From all aspects I would rather my opponent act as a gentleman, as
indeed, I try to.

I will add no more of these moronic ideas to your list.

Trevor
---
* OLX 2.1 TD * Pawnography: Photos of Chess games....

engels@stargate

May 31, 1994, 3:02:46 PM5/31/94
: |> >If anyone has more suggestions please add 6,7,... to this list.

6. Eat peanuts, crunchy peanuts. Apples (hard and green) are good too.
7. Shake your head after every move of your opponent.
8. Click with your pen or with a cup of copy.
9. At the beginning of the game, take his move-sheet and write
your name on the players field.
10. Lean over the board, be "physically present".
11. If your opponent thinks, go around the table and stand
beneath him.
12. If you feel, that he is concentrating very hard, stand up
and sit down in short intervalls (maybe hitting the table,
his chair or his legs "accidently").
13. If he prefers to put the knights on the board looking sidewards,
let your knights look to his side (or to yours, it's irritating).
14. You have to say j'adoube if you want to correct the positions of
same pieces or you have to move or hit the piece if possible and
it's forbidden to touch the stones if your time isn't running.
There is a hole in that rules: "correct" the positions of the
pieces AFTER you made your move and BEFORE you hit the clock
without announcing it.

and so on ...

: Well, I don't start psychological warfare, as I like good chess games.
: If my opponent does, I assume it is a sign of weakness and I am pleased
: to beat him in both ways, chess and psychological.

Yes, that would be nice, but it hurts double if you loose against
someone who isn't nice.

Btw: the german chess association recommends a few books for
young players. One of them is "Chess for Tigers". It's mainly
a book about disturbing others and psychological war around
the board. I was responsible for the young players in our club
for a few years and I saw, that they like that and concentrated
more on disturbing the others than on the game. I hate that
book.