simple question about PGN notation

Elaine Jackson

Apr 19, 2003, 3:03:19 PM4/19/03
Greetings! I need some information for a utility I'm writing. Suppose a knight
on d5 can be captured by a pawn on c4 or by another pawn on e4. Then the moves
in question are written as "cxd5" and "exd5" respectively, right? But what if
you take away the pawn on e4? If the remaining pawn takes the knight, is the
move written as "cxd5"? Or is it "d5", or "xd5", or what? TIA for much-needed
help.

Avanti

Apr 19, 2003, 6:42:16 PM4/19/03

"Elaine Jackson" <elaineja...@home.com> wrote in message

cxd5 is the correct notation.
d5 is a pawn push
xd5 I have never seen and for reasons it means very little.

Cesar A. K. Grossmann

Apr 19, 2003, 10:00:17 PM4/19/03
"Elaine Jackson" <elaineja...@home.com> wrote in message news:<X3hoa.159127$vs.17...@news3.calgary.shaw.ca>...

The PGN notation I know (http://tim-mann.org/Standard) uses cxd5:

"8.2.3.3: Basic SAN move construction

"A basic SAN move is given by listing the moving piece letter (omitted
for pawns) followed by the destination square. Capture moves are
denoted by the lower case letter "x" immediately prior to the
destination square; pawn captures include the file letter of the
originating square of the capturing pawn immediately prior to the "x"
character."

OBS.: SAN = Standard Algebraic Notation

Oddly enought, I have a modern book on chess called "Aprenda Xadrez
com Garry Kasparov" (portuguese translation of "Learn chess with Garry
Kasparov") that has figurine notation inside, and the captures made by
pawns doesn't shows part of the information (doesn't have the "x" or
the number). So, your capture 'cxd5' would be noted as 'cd'. Of course
it's not PGN, it's a book with some games in abbreviated
algebraic-figurine notation, and PGN uses SAN.

[]s
--
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

DJV

Sep 1, 2003, 7:50:44 PM9/1/03
Is tim-mann.org the "official" record of the PGN standard?

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Sep 1, 2003, 8:02:18 PM9/1/03
"DJV" <djvc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Is tim-mann.org the "official" record of the PGN standard?

No, but the document linked (http://tim-mann.org/Standard)
is the official standard.

--
GCP