My daughter's first game

sandirhodes

Jan 9, 2004, 12:38:30 AM1/9/04
First of all, let me preface this story with the disclaimer that I don't intend to do a lot of crossposting to various newsgroups
with silly posts about my family and other off-topic crap, like a certain chessfellow tends to do.

That said, I would like to tell you about my daughter's first game of chess. She was exactly 2 years, 3 months and 2 days old at
the time. Now mind you, I have never taught her any moves, any rules, or anything about the game. She has seen me read Chess Life,
and noticed that the diagrams had 'horsies.' Other than that, as far as I knew, she knew nothing of the game.

I had my analysis set out (for the first time in her life), and was going over a KeyKracker helpmate in 6 (one solution). I had
just come upon the idea and worked it out, when she came over and said "horsie, play game." I didn't think much about it, but
decided to set the pieces up and see what would happen.

That's when she noticed the clock sticking out of the piece bag. I haven't played tournament chess seriously for many years, so I
still have my old BHB with the little red flags that raise as your last 5 minutes tick off. I set the clock for 5 minutes each, and
then chuckled to myself. Such a force of habit! I then gave her 30 minutes to my 15, as I assumed there would be a lot of time
wasted. See noticed the buttons on the top, and gave me a look like 'how do you do that?' So, not thinking she'd understand, I
told her, and showed her how it worked -- that after we make a move, we hit the button, and then it is the other person's turn. I
was shocked that I only needed to tell her this once. She was ready to rock!

So anyway, she had White, and got to move first.

Campbell, Emma Lee(UNR) (g/30)
Campbell, Royce E(1827) (g/15)
January 7, 2004 --

I punched the clock, and she immediately reached for her KP (that's the one on e2 for you young folks), and advanced it 2 squares.
She looked up at me and smiled, then reached over and pushed the button with her tiny index finger. I was rolling with laughter on
the inside! Oh, how I wish someone had been videotaping that exquisite moment! Not only had she made a reasonable first move, she
had done so with authority and aplomb! While I was marveling at this, she said, 'move, Daddy, play.'

I looked at her with awe again, and thought, well, I might as well do it right, so I explained to her that when it was not her move,
she shouldn't interrupt her opponent -- and she didn't do so again! I looked at her once more, reached for my own KP (on e7), and
advanced it to meet hers. Come and get me, Sweetie, I was saying. I was actually starting to believe that she knew what she was
doing! I punched the clock.

1. e4,e5;

And then it happened. Who knew that a novelty would exist for White on the second move of a double-KP opening? She reached to her
g-pawn, picked it up, and placed it aggressively on f4! She slammed the clock like the guy at your club who always thinks his moves
are great, and such was the proof -- you know the one I mean. I knew this game would be difficult now.

2. ..., d6;
3. h2-f5!, f6? (I thought I'd give her a chance to prove she could get me on that short diagonal);
4. Rh1-g6!, Nc6 (Hmm -- setting up on that diagonal, eh? I think I'll get out of Dodge);
5. Bf1-f3, Bd7 (I really just wanted to see what she would do, pretending as she was, to play the game);
6. Ng1-g4, Qe7;
7. Bc1-d3, 0-0-0 (Whew! After all that artillery on the K-side, I was glad to get away to the Q-side, especially with that secret
color-changing Bishop she whipped out);
8. Ke1-h5?, Qf7 (Setting up a pretty end);
9. Nb1-h3??, hg6++

I found it interesting that she inherently did not move a piece twice in the opening, used the clock perfectly, and did not chatter
thoughout the game. though it lasted only a few minutes. When I took her rook, however, she reached over and put it back on the
board, and handed me my pawn. I guess touch-move is the next lesson!

I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did when it happened.

Royce E. Campbell, aka sandirhodes

Sam Sloan

Jan 9, 2004, 7:55:25 AM1/9/04

Thank you for posting this. My daughter Sandra is just two years two
months old. Every day, she takes the chess pieces out of the bag and
puts them on the board. She almost always puts them on squares, not on
the lines. She moves them around and finally usually puts them back in
the bag.

I say that she is playing chess, even though she does not always make
the best move.

Sam Sloan

Antonio Torrecillas

Jan 9, 2004, 9:47:55 AM1/9/04
En/na Sam Sloan ha escrit:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:38:30 -0600, "sandirhodes"
> <rhoes...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>First of all, let me preface this story with the disclaimer that I don't intend to do a lot of crossposting to various newsgroups
>>with silly posts about my family and other off-topic crap, like a certain chessfellow tends to do.
>>
>>That said, I would like to tell you about my daughter's first game of chess. She was exactly 2 years, 3 months and 2 days old at
>>the time. Now mind you, I have never taught her any moves, any rules, or anything about the game. She has seen me read Chess Life,
>>and noticed that the diagrams had 'horsies.' Other than that, as far as I knew, she knew nothing of the game.
>>

> Thank you for posting this. My daughter Sandra is just two years two
> months old. Every day, she takes the chess pieces out of the bag and
> puts them on the board. She almost always puts them on squares, not on
> the lines. She moves them around and finally usually puts them back in
> the bag.
>
> I say that she is playing chess, even though she does not always make
> the best move.
>
> Sam Sloan

My daughter Mireia Mei is three years old and has played some chess
games with his father with great success (when she is tired and focusses
her attention in another thing, I decrete draw). I posted here in RGCA a
commented game some time ago.

She knows well how to dispose the pieces because her own chess set is a
magnetic one with holes for the pieces and it's not difficult to dispose
the pieces in the board in the same sequence.

But Mireia plays better at "Three in a row". She has won sometimes
without any help or odd. Maybe this is a more adequate start for her to
the magic world of 64 squares.

AT

David Richerby

Jan 9, 2004, 10:53:22 AM1/9/04
[ --> rec.games.chess.misc ]

sandirhodes <rhoes...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, let me preface this story with the disclaimer that I
> don't intend to do a lot of crossposting to various newsgroups with
> silly posts about my family

And let me preface this remark by saying that I don't want to sound too
critical as that was a really sweet story that I very much enjoyed
reading.

Since you've thought about cross-posting, could I suggest that your
message, which mentioned no chess politics and had no real analytical
content, would have been better just posted to rgcm and not the other
two groups?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mouldy Radioactive Robot (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a high-tech robot but it'll make

Matt Nemmers

Jan 9, 2004, 1:56:09 PM1/9/04
"sandirhodes" <rhoes...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Great story, Royce. Can't wait until my three year old (and, later on, my
one year old) can sit still long enough for me to teach her the game!

Best,

Matt

Dave Littell

Jan 10, 2004, 5:15:07 PM1/10/04
sandirhodes wrote:
> "David Richerby" wrote

>>sandirhodes wrote:
>>
>>>First of all, let me preface this story with the disclaimer that I
>>>don't intend to do a lot of crossposting to various newsgroups with
>>>silly posts about my family
>>
>>And let me preface this remark by saying that I don't want to sound too
>>critical as that was a really sweet story that I very much enjoyed
>>reading.
>>
>>Since you've thought about cross-posting, could I suggest that your
>>message, which mentioned no chess politics and had no real analytical
>>content, would have been better just posted to rgcm and not the other
>>two groups?
>

> The analysis was a joke, and rgcp is my main forum. Just looking to bring a smile to chessplayers anywhere. Have a nice day.

And so it did - it was a wonderful story. Don't let the
KillJoyCrossPostingNaziTrolls diminish the joy. Crossposting is so
much less annoying than the snooty jerkoffs that rush to carp about it.

Dave

michael adams

Jan 11, 2004, 9:49:47 PM1/11/04

Good comment Dave, although I did find the original post a bit cutsey.
This is a fambly show. Right?!. Actually, what was the point of the
original post? It wasn't just 'cute' I remember now, I couldn't quite
grok it's relevance. Oh well, diff'rent strokes etc. ..