ch_tools updated, again!

notes.tssi.com!tower.tssi.com!h...@tssi.com

Jan 24, 1994, 8:53:10 AM1/24/94

How to use ch_tools

ch_tools is made by Carsten Hansen (ch0...@hdc.hha.dk). You are allowed to
reuse the sourcecode in your own tools, but please mention my name somewhere
in your program. If you want to improve somethink in ch_tools, please
inform my, and I will do the changes. If you already have programmed some
good changes in ch_tools, you might upload ch_tools, but please inform me
about it, and specify your changes in details!!!!!

The files are placed at chess.uoknor.edu in the Game-Databases directories.

The file ch_tools.arj includes all ch_tools including source code. Moreover,
there are some *.exe files in the directories. You shall use arj230ng when
you uncompress ch_tools. It is not possible to use the UNARJ.exe program.

The following tools are included in ch_tools:

CBAPPEND
========

CBAPPEND makes it possible to append more ChessBase gamefiles to each other.
The syntax is the following:

CBAPPEND without parameters ==> you will be prompted for parameters

CBAPPEND source-wildcard target-filename

Example: CBAPPEND c:\fritz\nl* all-nl

CBAPPEND now prompts you for all ChessBase files in the c:\fritz directory
starting with nl. At prompting, you are supposed to type 'Y' or 'N' followed
by RETURN. At last, there is created a new file called all-nl. If all-nl
already existed the new gamefiles are appended to all-nl.

NAPPEND
=======

NAPPEND works the very same way as CBAPPEND for NicBase gamefiles

NRECOV
======

NRECOV source-filename target-filename

NRECOV extracts all deleted games from the source file, and puts them in the
target file.

CBUNCODE
========

CBUNCODE source-filename target-filename

You are only supposed to use CBUNCODE, when it is impossible for you to
convert ChessBase gamefiles such as pca.cb* and gm.cb* to NicBase by means
of the, by NicBase, copyrighted product NicTools.

CONVERT UTILITIES
=================

NIC2PGN
=======

NIC2PGN source-filename target-filename

Example: NIC2PGN source-filename

You are going to get the output on the screen

Example: NIC2PGN source-filename prn

You are going to get the output on the printer

Example: NIC2PGN source-filename target-filename

You are going to make a new target file in PGN-format.

PGN (Portable Game Notation) is a standard used for games in ASCII-text. The
games will only be printed in long notation. I hope the output from the
program is consistent with the PGN-standard. If that is not the case, please
mail me!!

You should be aware of the fact that NIC2PGN is omitting the following games:
- deleted, and overwritten games
- quizes
- game fragments (games starting with a position)

You are losing all comments and variations, but you are still going to get
all the moves in the game.

CB2PGN
======

Works the very same way as NIC2PGN

You should be aware of the fact that CB2PGN is omitting the following games:
- deleted, and overwritten games
- games with comments or variations
- game fragments (games starting with a position

NIC2CB
======

NIC2CB source-filename target-filename

NIC2CB converts from NicBase to "ChessBase". You should be aware of the
fact that ChessBase, in contrast to Fritz, is not accepting the target file.
I hope that somebody is able to tell me something about how to calculate
the checksum stored at byte 13 in the gamehead which is checked by ChessBase,
but not by Fritz.

You should be aware of the fact that NIC2CB is omitting the following games:
- deleted, and overwritten games
- quizes
- game fragments (games starting with a position)

You are losing all comments and variations, but you are still going to get
all the moves in the game.

CB2NIC
======

CB2NIC source-filename target-filename

The same games are omitted as in CB2PGN.

PGN2NIC, PGN2CB

PGN2NIC source-filename target-filename

PGN2CB source-filename target-filename

Convert from PGN to NicBase and ChessBase

ChessBase and NicBase formats

See the file formats.doc for a short describtion. The file is included in
ch_tools.arj

Carsten Hansen, Denmark (ch0...@hdc.hha.dk)