ChessBase vs. NICbase

edward.m.hummel

Dec 7, 1992, 1:20:59 PM12/7/92
Which is better? What are the major differences in features?

What has been your experience in using these tools? Is it more
important to get recent games, or to get as complete a set as
possible? Which game sets are best?

Either tool seems to be a significant investment. It seems
ChesBase is quite a bit more. Is it worth the extra cost?

Ed

Ari Kalevi Makela

Dec 8, 1992, 11:45:49 AM12/8/92

>What has been your experience in using these tools?

I bought NICBase two (?) years ago and I selected NICBase because it was
considerably cheaper (in Finland programs are terribly expensive).
It seemed to me that ChessBase was a little (but just a little)
more convenient to use. I've used NICBase a lot and I've been happy with
it. Searching for positions, for example, is easy.

> Is it more
>important to get recent games, or to get as complete a set as
>possible? Which game sets are best?

I quess that depends on you. I prefer a complete set. At my level of play
you just don't want to know every single new move but you want to have
carefully selected good games. Something like Petrosian-Botvinnik 5th
match game 1963 which certainly is not a remarkable game from
theoretical point of view but it is beautifull.

One thing I dislike in NICBase is that it is full of Fischer's games
which causes certain one-sideness in openings selection. It contains every
single game by Fischer. Although he was a great player (he might still be but
that is something he has to prove) all those games cannot be that good.

--
Ari K. M{kel{ Department of Radiochemistry
ari.m...@helsinki.fi University of Helsinki

"Night must fall now - darker, darker"

Steven L Harrington

Dec 8, 1992, 1:31:34 PM12/8/92
In article <1992Dec8.1...@klaava.Helsinki.FI> arim...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Ari Kalevi Makela) writes:
>In <1992Dec7.1...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> e...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (edward.m.hummel) writes:
>
>>What has been your experience in using these tools?
>
>I bought NICBase two (?) years ago and I selected NICBase because it was
>considerably cheaper (in Finland programs are terribly expensive).
>It seemed to me that ChessBase was a little (but just a little)
>more convenient to use. I've used NICBase a lot and I've been happy with
>it. Searching for positions, for example, is easy.

***************************
I own Nicbase and I cannot recommend it. The product is well made,
but the company sucks. They have failed on 2-3 separate occasions
to send data that I ordered (but they were more than happy to take the $).
Their service is so attrocious that I would choose Chessbase if I had it
to do over again. Perhaps if you're from the US, chessbase could provide
you w/ reasonable service rather than the month-long mail to NICbase
whereupon they simply take your money and forget about you.

Steve Harrington

Martin Olesen

Dec 8, 1992, 6:17:30 PM12/8/92

|> ***************************
|> I own Nicbase and I cannot recommend it. The product is well made,
|> but the company sucks. They have failed on 2-3 separate occasions
|> to send data that I ordered (but they were more than happy to take the $).
|> Their service is so attrocious that I would choose Chessbase if I had it
|> to do over again. Perhaps if you're from the US, chessbase could provide
|> you w/ reasonable service rather than the month-long mail to NICbase
|> whereupon they simply take your money and forget about you.
|>

|> Steve Harrington

I have a question concerning this. Isn't it so that there
exist a program which translates NICBase datafiles inte
CHESSBASE ones and vica versa. If this is so it wouldnd't
really matter which company has the best service since
you could purchase datafiles from both companies.

Martin Olesen

Elliott C Winslow

Dec 9, 1992, 11:53:40 AM12/9/92
In article <1992Dec8.2...@news.uiowa.edu>

ole...@math.uiowa.edu (Martin Olesen) writes:

> I have a question concerning this. Isn't it so that there
> exist a program which translates NICBase datafiles inte
> CHESSBASE ones and vica versa. If this is so it wouldnd't
> really matter which company has the best service since
> you could purchase datafiles from both companies.

Notes and comments get lost, if I remember correctly (which I frequently
don't).

--elliott

Donald Burden

Dec 9, 1992, 6:09:27 PM12/9/92
In article <1992Dec7.1...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com> e...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (edward.m.hummel) writes:
>Which is better? What are the major differences in features?

Demo versions of both are available via FTP from valkyries.andrew.cmu.edu.
The NICBase demo is in the German language - I couldn't figure out how
to review a game with this program. From looking at the demos, I get the
feeling ChessBase is a much more polished and professional-looking program.

Ari Kalevi Makela

Dec 10, 1992, 9:10:34 AM12/10/92

> I have a question concerning this. Isn't it so that there
> exist a program which translates NICBase datafiles inte
> CHESSBASE ones and vica versa. If this is so it wouldnd't
> really matter which company has the best service since
> you could purchase datafiles from both companies.

In NICBase there is a translating function from ChessBase to NICBase.

stein

Dec 10, 1992, 1:57:28 PM12/10/92

In article <Bz049...@world.std.com> e...@world.std.com (Elliott C Winslow) writes:
>In article <1992Dec8.2...@news.uiowa.edu>

>ole...@math.uiowa.edu (Martin Olesen) writes:
>>
>> I have a question concerning this. Isn't it so that there
>> exist a program which translates NICBase datafiles inte
>> CHESSBASE ones and vica versa. If this is so it wouldnd't
>> really matter which company has the best service since
>> you could purchase datafiles from both companies.
>
>Notes and comments get lost, if I remember correctly (which I frequently
>don't).
>
> --elliott

Yes indeed, notes and comments are unfortunately lost.

BTW, does anyone else find Thomas Ernst's Chessbase annotations worthless ?
Frequently his comments are nothing new under the sun or he gives an evaluation
without supporting analysis (or even a short sequence of moves). I have praise
for Pavel Blatny though because his meticulous notes demonstrate he's done his
homework. I haven't had the opportunity to go through all the Chessbase material
I've purchased. If you're a 2200+ Chessbase user I would appreciate your opinions
on who does a good job of annotating games. Thanks.

Pascal PETIT

Dec 11, 1992, 8:02:44 AM12/11/92
In article <1g2pm6...@tamsun.tamu.edu> shar...@cs.tamu.edu (Steven L Harrington) writes:

***************************
I own Nicbase and I cannot recommend it. The product is well made,
but the company sucks. They have failed on 2-3 separate occasions
to send data that I ordered (but they were more than happy to take the $).
Their service is so attrocious that I would choose Chessbase if I had it
to do over again. Perhaps if you're from the US, chessbase could provide
you w/ reasonable service rather than the month-long mail to NICbase
whereupon they simply take your money and forget about you.

I am very happy with the company. I bought NICbase for a friend who have an
old amstrad pc 1512. :-( and NICbase does'nt work with his machine. It
seem to be a video controler problem. I spoke of that with my local
dealer. They sent me a new version in the week.

Pascal

pascal petit
work's email : pe...@litp.ibp.Fr
pe...@ccr-p6.ccr.jussieu.fr