Question about Mark Willey

Ryu Xiang

Aug 4, 2010, 12:07:47 PM8/4/10
With great sorrow I've got the information that chess master Mark Willey has
been convicted to 35 years prison back in 2006. I have often played chess
with him cca. 20 years ago, but since then I haven't seen him again. In my
opinion, he was a very nice and intelligent guy. Is there any chance that
this conviction is a mistake? Has anybody visited him in prison? How is he?
Please send any information.

None

Aug 4, 2010, 1:53:51 PM8/4/10

25 years; no; and, don't know.

Matt Nemmers

Aug 4, 2010, 9:23:54 PM8/4/10
On Aug 4, 12:07 pm, "Ryu Xiang" <ryuxi...@post.htnet.hr> wrote:

The guy from Iowa? Holy shit. What was he convicted of?

petejohnson831xenu

Aug 4, 2010, 9:34:14 PM8/4/10
Rematch of sorts

Free of courtroom constraints, Jackson County (Iowa) District Attorney
John Kies and Mark Willey are taking their strategic moves to a new
arena - a chess board.

As he does when researching many of his cases, Kies ran Willey's name
through the Google Internet search engine to see what he could find.

Turns out Willey's claim of being an Iowa grand chess master was true.
Many of the Maquoketa man's former matches, and even specific moves,
were still posted online.

"They still have his matches from Europe. I just thought it was
interesting," Kies said.

As a chess player himself, Kies' curiosity was piqued, so he
challenged Willey to a game, and Willey accepted.

Kies said his chance of victory is lower in this match than it was
when he prosecuted Willey recently.

"I have no doubt that Mark would probably beat me," Kies said.

Willey was found guilty of assault and burglary and was sentenced July
28 to up to 25 years in prison for a knife attack on his sister,
Emelie Harmon, of Maquoketa.

The chess match likely will be played via computer since Willey is
currently being held at the Iowa Medical and Classification Center at
Oakdale.

A time and date for the match have yet to be set.

- Rob Kundert and Eileen Mozinski contributed

Copyright 2003 by Telegraph-Herald, All rights Reserved.

Copyright 2006 Telegraph Herald
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights
Reserved.

Matt Nemmers

Aug 4, 2010, 9:39:06 PM8/4/10

Nevermind. Found it.

While he seemed your typical chessplayer -- eccentric, bordering on
weird, but never really crossing that line -- he always struck me as a
very nice guy. Never would've thought he had a violent streak.

I played chess with him many times in Maquoketa, Rock Island, Dubuque
and lots of other places around Iowa when I was stationed there. He
even annotated one of the games I played at the Iowa Class
Championships about ten years ago. Too bad he had to go away. At
least he'll have plenty of time for chess now.

None

Aug 4, 2010, 11:04:53 PM8/4/10
On Aug 4, 9:39 pm, Matt Nemmers <vius...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I played chess with him many times in Maquoketa, Rock Island, Dubuque
> and lots of other places around Iowa when I was stationed there.  He
> even annotated one of the games I played at the Iowa Class
> Championships about ten years ago.  Too bad he had to go away.  At
> least he'll have plenty of time for chess now.

Yes, just a long deployment.with three hots and a cot the whole time.

Ryu Xiang

Aug 5, 2010, 9:37:15 AM8/5/10
Thx for the information. 25 is bad enough. Just hope he'll get a chance to
get out earlier on probation.

johnwalk...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2019, 4:50:18 AM2/15/19
I played chess against him in prison at rockwell i think he should get out soon or is already out...well lookout his game is still very very strong the best in prison today prob n iowa