Dorsch, Goichberg, Sloan?????

Dirty Harry

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00

I have been following these threads for a couple of weeks now and find
the reading very interesting but confusing. Perhaps someone could
shed some light on just who these people are and how they relate to
the USCF and it's good/poor management of funds. I promise not to
interfere as I am not involved in anyway, other than being a new USCF
member and interested in these discussions.

Wickdeer

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Tom Dorsch is the past treasurer of USCF. In his tenure as treasurer, he was
openly critical of USCF's handling of financial matters. He also claims, with
some good evidence to back him, that the numbers presented in last years
financial report were misleading. Many of Dorsh's claims about the finances
have been contested by other USCF officials, such as former president Don
Schultz, but the audited numbers have tended to support much of what Mr. Dorsch
had to say.

Bill Goichberg is the past Vice-President of USCF. He also has an organization
that runs large tournaments such as the world open. He was generally a
supporter of past President, Don Schultz.

Sam Sloan is the Lyndon Larouche of chess politics. He has never held any
position of authority at USCF. To say that his analysis of the finances lacks
expertise would be an understatement of epic proportions.

Hope this helps.

Wick Deer

Petrel

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00

Wickdeer wrote in message <20000316032241...@ng-xe1.aol.com>...

>Sam Sloan is the Lyndon Larouche of chess politics. He has never held any
>position of authority at USCF. To say that his analysis of the finances
lacks
>expertise would be an understatement of epic proportions.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare Sloan with LaRouche. Sloan's
wackiness is complex. I think Sloan fancies himself as the Drudge report of
chess. He writes down and reposts to the group everything he sees, hears,
experiences, and imagines, with all the pluses and minuses this entails.

Sloan, for example, might post the 'news' that "CIRCUS ANIMALS STAMPEDE AT
THE WORLD OPEN!" This will provoke a flurry of posts to the effect that
Sloan's facts are all wrong; that it is hardly reasonable to refer to one
elephant and one orangutan as a "stampede", particularly when the elephant
was under control at all times; that EB member John Doe was NOT fleeing in
panic, but was merely trying to find a pay phone to call the backup trainer;
that EB member Jane Doe was NOT trampled by the elephant, nor by John Doe,
but slipped on a banana peel thrown by the orangutan and twisted an ankle,
and so on. There will be much high dudgeon about Sloan's many inaccuracies,
but the fact remains that you never would have heard about the orangutan's
antics if it weren't for Sloan's post.

BTW, although Dorsch continually calls Sloan a 'career criminal', there is
no foundation for this that I can see. Sloan did some time related to an
incident in his complex personal life.

A propos of the original question, I wonder if this group could use a FAQ
:-) Possibly Sloan, Eric Johnson, Tom Dorsch, Eade, and maybe Al Lawrence
could constitute themselves as a committee to prepare unbiased profiles of
the main figures in U.S. Chess politics over the past 10-20 years, and some
brief neutral reports on the political issues of the period.

;-)

p>

Dirty Harry

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
On 16 Mar 2000 08:22:41 GMT, wick...@aol.com (Wickdeer) wrote:

>Tom Dorsch is the past treasurer of USCF. In his tenure as treasurer, he was
>openly critical of USCF's handling of financial matters. He also claims, with
>some good evidence to back him, that the numbers presented in last years
>financial report were misleading. Many of Dorsh's claims about the finances
>have been contested by other USCF officials, such as former president Don
>Schultz, but the audited numbers have tended to support much of what Mr. Dorsch
>had to say.
>
>Bill Goichberg is the past Vice-President of USCF. He also has an organization
>that runs large tournaments such as the world open. He was generally a
>supporter of past President, Don Schultz.
>

>Sam Sloan is the Lyndon Larouche of chess politics. He has never held any
>position of authority at USCF. To say that his analysis of the finances lacks
>expertise would be an understatement of epic proportions.
>

>Hope this helps.

Yes it does and thank you. I will now slip back into lurker mode.
D. Harry

TOMDORSCH

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
>BTW, although Dorsch continually calls Sloan a 'career criminal', there
>is
>no foundation for this that I can see. Sloan did some time related to an
>incident in his complex personal life.

Well, Petrel, let me assist your vision.

Unless you have some really degenerative condition, related to your
understanding of the terms "career criminal," it would be hard to see any basis
for your claim that Scam is otherwise.

After he flunked out of Berkeley he ran a knock-off
of the Sexual Freedom League, some inferior imitation, that attracted underage
minors for sex.
That got him thrown out of California, where he
had done time (his first arrest and imprisonment,
a milestone in any career criminal's life!).

He wound up in New York, where he developed
his scheme "How To Take Over A Public Company"
(or something like that--I can't recall the exact
title). The scam essentially relied on filing frivolous lawsuits at such a
rate that the targeted defendant
was overwhelmed, then using default judgments to
seize assets. As Scam explained it to me, you wind up with control of the
company, but essentially it
has been destroyed. As the courts became more skeptical about this type of
litigation, he upgraded
his scam, and opened Samuel H. Sloan Inc.

Then he set up his scam on Wall Street, where he
sold securities that were several notches below junk bonds--essentially a
worthless hoax. He stretched
that skein until the SEC put him out of business.
Considerable litigation ensued. Scam got his
name in the Supreme Court, but lost all the
important cases and went underground again.

Scam has never said a word about his father.
All the talk, all the self-revelatory disclosures,
conceal the fact that there are many things that
are so painful that he won't discuss them. But
after he got shut down, he went to Virginia.

Home, he launched into a campaign to scam his mother out of her small estate
accumulated
through many years of service as a public employee in Virginia. Opposed by
all the other members of his family, he eventually faced losing in court. So
he
packed up his mother and shipped her off to a
toilet in the UAR, where she languishes to this day,
alone and estranged, but out of reach of the American courts.

At about this time, Scam found it "prudent" to leave the United States, just
ahead of certain investigations of his business practices.
He spent the next few years travelling abroad,
beyond the reach of American courts while the
statute of limitations relentlessly ran on. He
wrote a muckraking account of the behavior
of the US FIDE mission in Dubai 1986 that
established his credentials as a chess journalist.
(In the US, you can become a chess journalist
just by stating some facts about what happens at a meeting, because our
official minutes are always so
dishonest.)

When the Statute of Limitations ran, he came home, just ahead of
a series of imminent depradations abroad. He
has never told us the truth about these various
illegalities, but we know he was in prison in
Afghanistan, Iran, and perhaps two or three
other countries for financial and sexual acts.
By this time, he claims to have converted to
Islam, taken an islamic name, and married
three or four Southeast Asian women who
were working as maids in the Arab Emirates.
Apparently, under Scam's interpretation of
Islam, he can have at least three wives at a
time. The exact number is known only to
Sam and a small number of district attorneys.

He wasn't home very long before he got into a
tussle with the prosecutors in Virginia. He wound
up getting a five-year sentence in the Claude
Bloodgood Chess Academy, the Virginia State
Penitentiary, where he learned many new things.
He has never had an AIDS test, but it is
rumored that some of the new thingshe
learned were contagious. That doesn't stop
this pervert, now almost 60 years old, from
engaging in risky sex at every opportunity.

When he got back, he tried to parlay a couple
of old relationships into jobs by scamming the
old friends who didn't know he was a con man.
He moved in with a woman in San Francisco,
Arden Van Upp (he had known her when he was
in Berkeley, and now he found out she had money)
who owned some property, charged a fortune
in phone bills, started litigation that got her
sued by all her family members, screwed up
her life and well-being, and then he took off
and left her life in a mess.

He also conned another old friend, Richard
Bozulich, who had made some money writing
books on oriental games. Scam conned him
into making Scam president, at whichpoint
Scam sued all the other members of the
Board in an attempt to seize control of the
corporate assets. He claims to have won a
judgment of $25K against them, but never
recovered a penny. Meanwhile, Ishi press
was ruined--more precisley, it now exists
only as a website for Scam's perversions.

He still is a degenerate. He found a new mark
that owns a property management business,
and he lets Scam stay rent-free in his vacant
apartments.

One of Scam's more lurid adventures came
when he was charged with rape two years ago
by one of the girls he picked up. He now says
that she was really crazy--I take that as an
expert opinion.

Confronted with the threat of a rape indictment,
Sloan contrived a brilliant and unprecedented
legal defense. He reached into his sock drawer,
pulled out a used condom from months before,
and presented it as Exhibit A to prove that he
had had consensual sex with the girl, and therefore
could not be guilty of rape. After the prosecutors
finished wretching, they threw him out. So far,
nobody else has asked to see his collection of
used condoms, or what is growing on them.

In short, let'be honest again. Scam has never
had a real job. He has made his living all his
life by scamming other people with frivilous
litigation, schemes, cons, hoaxes, and lies.
He has been in numerous jails, prisons, and
detention centers around the world for a
wide variety of crimes of theft and moral
turpitude. His life is the life of the grifter.

I could go on and on about Scam's sordid past.
What does it take to become a professional
criminal in your definition? I can't imagine
how anyone could define Scam as anything
else. Lex Luther spent less time plotting
criminality than Sloan.

Regards,
Tom Dorsch

Sam Sloan

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Almost needless to say, everything in this story is a lie (although
some parts of it contain elements of truth), but it makes such a good
story that I think I will keep it.

Do you mind if I put this story on my web site?

Sam Sloan

>rumored that some of the new things he learned were contagious. That doesn't stop

AlforChess

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
<< Almost needless to say, everything in this story is a lie (although
some parts of it contain elements of truth) >>

Specifics, Sam? And what about the newspaper story you yourself posted?

Yuk.

Dwight

PJDBAD

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
>Sloan, for example, might post the 'news' that "CIRCUS ANIMALS STAMPEDE AT
>THE WORLD OPEN!" This will provoke a flurry of posts to the effect that
>Sloa

"I went to the animal fair the birds and the beasts were there....."

DAVEROOK

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Goichberg and Dorsh are both tournament organizers and political competitors in
the USCF-both have been on the USCF Policy Board at differnt times. Goichberg
started directing tournaments in the early 1960's. Goichberg is by far and away
the dominant force in big money swiss system events(The World Open is his
premiere event). Dorsch feels in a nutshell that Goichberg has created a
gambling chess culture based on class prizes and has hurt chess. In the last
few years they have exchanged nasty words and Goichberg filed an ethics
complaintt against Dorsch that was upheld despite the complaint looking very
shaky on several grounds. Goichberg has tended to be a strong defender of the
staus quo while Dorsch has heavily criticized recent USCF administrations has
being financially mismanaged and corrupt to varying degrees. Slaon is a chess
personality and free lance muckraker with a very starange background who has
run and lost disastrously for a seat on the Policy Board on more than one
occasion. He and Dorsch go way back and were once roomates-they hate each
other. Sloan currently has tended to side with Goichberg on many issues.
Slaon and Dorsch have been exchanging nasty posts on this news group for quite
a few years. That is a very abreviated explanation. Welcome to Chess!

David Spigel