Demotion Chess

Quadibloc

Nov 14, 2021, 6:23:49 AM11/14/21
The posting about Frog King Chess has inspired me to think of my own
way to modify Chess so that draws hardly ever happen.

Instead of scoring chess games as 1-0, 1/2-1/2, and 0-1, 100 points per
game will be split up in various combinations, as follows:

Checkmate: 100-0
Stalemate: 60-40
Checkmate after Demotion: 55-45
Perpetual Check: 51-49

The player who forces stalemate gets the 60 points.
The player who gives check every move in a draw by repetition gets the 51
points.

When there is insufficient force to checkmate or even stalemate, another
option is for a player to take any piece, and, as a move, remove that piece
from the board, replacing it by a pawn in any position on that player's back
rank.
Once a player has done so, that player may only win by giving checkmate,
and is only awarded 55 points for doing so, half as much gain over the
opponent as for a regular stalemate (which is itself only worth 1/5 as
much as a regular checkmate).

Hardly any draws, and yet a real checkmate is worth much more than any of
the things that used to be draws.
If, in practice, White's advantage of the first move is enough to allow White
to usually force a victory by perpetual check, for example, only allow Black
to get points for that kind of victory.

John Savard