This is how real men play chess

Eli Kesef

Feb 13, 2021, 12:07:12 PM2/13/21
Bs"d

This is how real men play chess:

Pay also attention to the beards, real men have beards:

https://is.gd/Real_men_chess

Here you can see my beard and me playing chess:

http://tiny.cc/zakeen

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 22, 2021, 1:08:13 PM2/22/21
On 2021-02-13, Eli Kesef wrote:

I'd like to thank you, Eli, for making me aware of lichess.org.

I don't usually like playing in a browser, but this site works well.

I just played a nice game with a knight sacrifice:

https://lichess.org/1i0QtQBl

> This is how real men play chess:
>
> Pay also attention to the beards, real men have beards:

Indeed we do!

> https://is.gd/Real_men_chess

No thanks. Can you say hypothermia?

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com/>
=========================== Author: ===============================

Eli Kesef

Feb 23, 2021, 9:24:09 AM2/23/21
On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 8:08:13 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2021-02-13, Eli Kesef wrote:
>
> I'd like to thank you, Eli, for making me aware of lichess.org.

Bs"d

You're welcome.

> I don't usually like playing in a browser, but this site works well.

The best one around I would say. A lot better than chess.com or FICS.

> I just played a nice game with a knight sacrifice:
>
> https://lichess.org/1i0QtQBl
> > This is how real men play chess:
> >
> > Pay also attention to the beards, real men have beards:
> Indeed we do!
>
> > https://is.gd/Real_men_chess
>
> No thanks. Can you say hypothermia?

I have problems with words that have more than two syllabess.

http://tinyurl.com/dont-know

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 23, 2021, 1:08:06 PM2/23/21
On 2021-02-23, Eli Kesef wrote:
> On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 8:08:13 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>> On 2021-02-13, Eli Kesef wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to thank you, Eli, for making me aware of lichess.org.
>
> Bs"d
>
> You're welcome.
>
>> I don't usually like playing in a browser, but this site works well.
>
> The best one around I would say. A lot better than chess.com or FICS.

I like FICS because I can use xboard locally, rather than the web
interface.

Eli Kesef

Feb 23, 2021, 2:49:42 PM2/23/21
On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 8:08:06 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2021-02-23, Eli Kesef wrote:
> > On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 8:08:13 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> >> On 2021-02-13, Eli Kesef wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd like to thank you, Eli, for making me aware of lichess.org.
> >
> > Bs"d
> >
> > You're welcome.
> >
> >> I don't usually like playing in a browser, but this site works well.
> >
> > The best one around I would say. A lot better than chess.com or FICS.
> I like FICS because I can use xboard locally, rather than the web
> interface.

Bs"d

Xboard is a kind of primitive. But I LOVED Babas, much better than this web interface. But overall Lichess is much better. It stores your games forever, all of 'm. But Lichess is a kind of deserted now, everybody run away to Lichess.
FICS was OK, but Lichess is better. I asked if they could fit Lichess for Babas, but it isn't going to happen.
But this board is not so bad. Quite playable, even though it isn't Babas.

https://tinyurl.com/castle-early

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 23, 2021, 6:08:06 PM2/23/21
On 2021-02-23, Eli Kesef wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 8:08:06 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>> > Bs"d
>> >
>> > You're welcome.

>> > The best one around I would say. A lot better than chess.com or FICS.
>> I like FICS because I can use xboard locally, rather than the web
>> interface.
>
> Bs"d
>
> Xboard is a kind of primitive.

There's nothging primitive about xboard. It is more configurable than
anything else I've seen.

I especially like that all games are saved automatically without
having to do anything.

Eli Kesef

Feb 24, 2021, 12:29:44 AM2/24/21
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:08:06 AM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2021-02-23, Eli Kesef wrote:

> >> I like FICS because I can use xboard locally, rather than the web
> >> interface.
> >
> > Bs"d
> >
> > Xboard is a kind of primitive.
> There's nothging primitive about xboard. It is more configurable than
> anything else I've seen.
>
> I especially like that all games are saved automatically without
> having to do anything.

Bs"d

I guess you never played with Babas.

https://tinyurl.com/pain-temp

Eli Kesef

Feb 24, 2021, 12:30:49 AM2/24/21
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:08:06 AM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> I especially like that all games are saved automatically without
> having to do anything.

Bs"d

Well, Lichess does that for you now.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 24, 2021, 12:08:05 PM2/24/21
Where is that set? I can't find it.

Eli Kesef

Feb 24, 2021, 12:14:58 PM2/24/21
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 7:08:05 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2021-02-24, Eli Kesef wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:08:06 AM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> I especially like that all games are saved automatically without
> >> having to do anything.
> >
> > Bs"d
> >
> > Well, Lichess does that for you now.
> Where is that set? I can't find it.

Bs"d

What set are you talking about? The saved games?

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 24, 2021, 6:08:13 PM2/24/21
On 2021-02-24, Eli Kesef wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 7:08:05 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>> > Bs"d
>> >
>> > Well, Lichess does that for you now.
>> Where is that set? I can't find it.
>
> Bs"d
>
> What set are you talking about? The saved games?

Automatic downloading when a game is finished.

There sems to be no way to do that. With xboard it's easy.

Eli Kesef

Feb 25, 2021, 4:30:15 AM2/25/21
On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:08:13 AM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2021-02-24, Eli Kesef wrote:

> >> Where is that set? I can't find it.
> >
> > Bs"d
> >
> > What set are you talking about? The saved games?
> Automatic downloading when a game is finished.
>
> There sems to be no way to do that. With xboard it's easy.

Bs"d

I guess I missed a lot op options in Xboard. But also with Lichess it is easy. That is, when you know how to do it.

First you click on your name, and then you get a menu, with on top "profile". Click on profile and you get, how unexpected, your profile. Then in the right lower corner you see the amount of games the you have played, in my case with this handle a bit over 3200. Click on that number and the games you have played will be visible one underneath the other, a long row going down. Click on the game you want to see, and you get the game. When in that game, click on"analysis board", and when in analysis board, you see an option on the bottom that says "FEN & PGN". Click on that and this is what you get:

Download annotated
Embed in your website
Share as a GIF
[Event "Rated Classical game"]
[Site "https://lichess.org/aJU3xvzt"]
[Date "2021.02.24"]
[White "Tallybloodyho"]
[Black "Cris86"]
[Result "1-0"]
[UTCDate "2021.02.24"]
[UTCTime "20:13:10"]
[WhiteElo "1934"]
[BlackElo "1808"]
[WhiteRatingDiff "+3"]
[BlackRatingDiff "-14"]
[Variant "Standard"]
[TimeControl "900+15"]
[ECO "B23"]
[Opening "Sicilian Defense: Closed"]
[Termination "Normal"]
[Annotator "lichess.org"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 e6 { B23 Sicilian Defense: Closed } 3. f4 Nc6 4. Nf3 d5 5. exd5 exd5 6. Be2 Bf5 7. O-O Nf6 8. d4 c4 9. a3 Bd6 10. Ne5 O-O 11. Be3 Be4 12. Nxe4 Nxe4 13. Bf3 f6 14. Nxc6 bxc6 15. c3 f5 16. Bxe4 fxe4 17. Qg4 Qe7 18. Rf2 Qf6 19. f5 a5 20. Raf1 a4 21. Bf4 Bxf4 22. Rxf4 Rab8 23. R1f2 Rf7 24. h3 Rfb7 25. Qd1 Rb3 26. Qc1 Qf7 27. f6 g6 28. Qd1 Re8 29. Qg4 e3 30. Re2 h5 31. Qf3 Kh7 32. g4 Re6 33. g5 Rb7 34. h4 Qf8 35. Qg2 Rf7 36. Rf3 Qe8 37. Qg3 Qd7 38. Rfxe3 Rxe3 39. Rxe3 Qg4 40. Qxg4 hxg4 41. Kg2 Kg8 42. Kg3 Kf8 43. Kxg4 Rb7 44. Re2 Kf7 45. h5 gxh5+ 46. Kxh5 c5 47. Re7+ Rxe7 48. fxe7 Kxe7 49. Kh6 Kf8 50. Kh7 cxd4 51. cxd4 Ke7 52. g6 Kf6 53. g7 Kf5 54. g8=Q Ke4 55. Qg7 Kd3 { Black resigns. } 1-0

I think from here you get the picture.

Simple what?

https://tinyurl.com/calm-win

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 25, 2021, 11:08:10 AM2/25/21
I knew how to do that. It's not what I want.

> Simple what?

No. That is not automatic; it has to be manually done for every single game.

With xboard, I don't have to do anything. When a game finishes,
xboard saves it to my hard drive without any input from me.

Eli Kesef

Feb 28, 2021, 8:57:05 AM2/28/21
Bs"d

But who on earth wants every single game moved to his hard disc?? I mean: Also your horrible blunders and painful losses will be stored on your comp. Who needs that?
Some things are best forgotten. ASAP!

Only my winning games are games I ever look at again. That works wonders for my mental health.

And when your games are stored online, there is much less chance that they will get lost in case of a crashing comp. I had it a few days ago that my laptop started to make horrible noises and started smoking.

By the grace of God and an open miracle he still works, but just like with mortal man, it can suddenly be all over for your comp or HD. And then your games are lost.
When they are stored on the Lichess server you have a great back up.

http://tinyurl.com/hidden-player

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 28, 2021, 3:08:11 PM2/28/21
On 2021-02-28, Eli Kesef wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 6:08:10 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>> > Simple what?
>>
>> No. That is not automatic; it has to be manually done for every single game.
>>
>> With xboard, I don't have to do anything. When a game finishes,
>> xboard saves it to my hard drive without any input from me.
>
> But who on earth wants every single game moved to his hard disc?? I mean: Also your horrible blunders and painful losses will be stored on your comp. Who needs that?
> Some things are best forgotten. ASAP!

I do.

> Only my winning games are games I ever look at again. That works wonders for my mental health.

That is purely self-congratulatory narcissism.

> And when your games are stored online, there is much less chance
> that they will get lost in case of a crashing comp. I had it a few
> days ago that my laptop started to make horrible noises and started
> smoking.

That's what backups are for.

> By the grace of God and an open miracle he still works, but just
>like with mortal man, it can suddenly be all over for your comp or
>HD. And then your games are lost.

Then why not let your imaginary friend keep them safe?

> When they are stored on the Lichess server you have a great back up.

And then I don't have them where I want them: on my computer.

Eli Kesef

Mar 1, 2021, 6:09:05 AM3/1/21
On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:08:11 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> >> No. That is not automatic; it has to be manually done for every single game.
> >>
> >> With xboard, I don't have to do anything. When a game finishes,
> >> xboard saves it to my hard drive without any input from me.
> >
> > But who on earth wants every single game moved to his hard disc?? I mean: Also your horrible blunders and painful losses will be stored on your comp. Who needs that?
> > Some things are best forgotten. ASAP!
> I do.
> > Only my winning games are games I ever look at again. That works wonders for my mental health.
> That is purely self-congratulatory narcissism.

Bs"d

If that is what makes you happy, then what's wrong with that?

https://is.gd/trappy_gamb

Chris F.A. Johnson

Mar 1, 2021, 3:08:13 PM3/1/21
Sorry, I thought you were interested in improving your play.

Because if you are, studying your losses is the best way to do that.

Eli Kesef

Mar 2, 2021, 3:58:48 AM3/2/21
On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 10:08:13 PM UTC+2, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2021-03-01, Eli Kesef wrote:

> >> I do.
> >> That is purely self-congratulatory narcissism.
> >
> > Bs"d
> >
> > If that is what makes you happy, then what's wrong with that?
> Sorry, I thought you were interested in improving your play.

Bs"d

I'm not interested in improving my play, I'm only interested in winning.

I found quite a good formula for that; play only weak players. Doesn't work 100%, because of blunders, but works good enough.

https://tinyurl.com/winning-only

The Horny Goat

Mar 2, 2021, 9:44:25 AM3/2/21
On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 00:58:46 -0800 (PST), Eli Kesef
<nastyho...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm not interested in improving my play, I'm only interested in winning.

Obviously they're connected?

>I found quite a good formula for that; play only weak players. Doesn't work 100%, because of blunders, but works good enough.

I've won all kinds of games which required little effort. Those aren't
the ones you remember. The ones you remember are the ones that
required you to dig down deep and maintain the highest level of play
for hours on end and in the end - win.

There is nothing better than seeing your opponent signing your
scoresheet following a first rate game where you came through in the
end.

Eli Kesef

Mar 2, 2021, 12:18:48 PM3/2/21
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 4:44:25 PM UTC+2, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 00:58:46 -0800 (PST), Eli Kesef
> <nastyho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm not interested in improving my play, I'm only interested in winning.
> Obviously they're connected?

Bs"d

No they are not. Because if you improve, you are provided with stronger opponents, and your winning ratio will not go up.

Only in online chess where you can pick your own opponents you can have a decent winning/loss ratio.

> >I found quite a good formula for that; play only weak players. Doesn't work 100%, because of blunders, but works good enough.
> I've won all kinds of games which required little effort. Those aren't
> the ones you remember. The ones you remember are the ones that
> required you to dig down deep and maintain the highest level of play
> for hours on end and in the end - win.
>
> There is nothing better than seeing your opponent signing your
> scoresheet following a first rate game where you came through in the
> end.

But for that you have to join a chess club. I live in the middle of nowhere, no chess club in the neighborhood.

But I admit, those are the best games; over the board, against a worthy opponent.

https://tinyurl.com/non-master

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Mar 24, 2021, 6:24:37 AM3/24/21

Eugene Delmar's Ghost

Mar 25, 2021, 6:49:36 AM3/25/21

Eli Kesef

Mar 25, 2021, 1:58:06 PM3/25/21
On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 12:49:36 PM UTC+2, Eugene Delmar's Ghost wrote:

> > So is that 5 minutes with a 15 second per move addition?
> Do'h! I mean, is that 15 minutes with a 15 second delay?

Bs"d

It is 15/15, that is 15 minutes and every move you get an extra 15 seconds on you clock.

https://tinyurl.com/extr-sky