Ordinary games that don't look like much

Eli Kesef

Dec 11, 2023, 11:02:16 AM12/11/23
Bs"d

Just had one of those: https://lichess.org/6h2cGHLIGvYJ

Me, being only a measly 1850, got paired with an 1842. Eighteen hundreds are really too strong for me, but what could I do?
Gone are the days that you could set the settings that your opponents would be from 200 to 400 points weaker than you. So sometimes I get opponents frighteningly close to my rating.

I guess I just have to deal with them.

Fortunately, I manage to destroy this one.

All is well that ends well. :D

https://tinyurl.com/violent-sport

William Hyde

Dec 11, 2023, 5:10:24 PM12/11/23
On Monday, December 11, 2023 at 11:02:16 AM UTC-5, Eli Kesef wrote:
> Bs"d
>
> Just had one of those: https://lichess.org/6h2cGHLIGvYJ
>
> Me, being only a measly 1850, got paired with an 1842. Eighteen hundreds are really too strong for me, but what could I do?
> Gone are the days that you could set the settings that your opponents would be from 200 to 400 points weaker than you. So sometimes I get opponents frighteningly close to my rating.
>
> I guess I just have to deal with them.
>
> Fortunately, I manage to destroy this one.

He is wise enough not to enter into a gambit he doesn't understand. Or maybe he didn't see that the pawn was
en pris.

Otherwise, his play is monstrously passive and weak. I've seen you beat much stronger players than this without
needing a trap.

Perhaps, like me, you're getting weaker precipitously with time.

William Hyde
Message has been deleted

Eli Kesef

Dec 12, 2023, 6:43:32 AM12/12/23
Bs"d

Here is an ordinary game that is in the end a little bit interesting: https://lichess.org/p0jnC567Uvdh

On move 11 I decided to give the enemy my G pawn. Just to get an open line to his king. That worked out wonderfully well.

On move 13 I thought about bringing my queen to h4, but I thought then he obviously plays g3, and my queen has to run. I thought if I then move my queen to h3, then his bishop goes to g2, and my queen is trapped and lost. So I didn't see any use in that one.
And then I saw that I have a bishop, attacking g3. Then I thought "What happens if after g3 I then sacrifice my bishop on g3?"
I saw that I then could keep a draw with eternal check, moving my queen to and fro.

On that point in time I missed two winning lines, but I decided to do it anyway, hoping that something would pop up when I was in that position. So I did queen h4, he did as expected g3, and my bishop smacked in on g3, his h pawn took my bishop on g3, my queen took g3 pawn and gave check. His king stepped to h1. Then I started thinking, "What if my bishop on g4 takes his bishop on f3?" I saw that his castle couldn't take back, because of mate in one.
He had to come with his queen f3, and after a little bit of deliberation I saw the winning continuation, my queen to h4, and mate on next move.
So that's what I did, and after my queen went to h4, the enemy surrendered.

Later during the post mortem I saw there is another winning line. My queen could check on h3, king goes to g1, and then my bishop on g4 could take his bishop on f3, and at the same time give a discovered check, which would cost him his queen.

But of course, a forced mate is preferable.

While typing this, saw in my minds eye that when the bishop gives discovered check, the king has to go to the f line, but a castle would be obstructing him, which would force him to f2. I was wondering "Could it be that then my queen can mate him?"
I went to analysis board, and lo and behold; there really is a mate then.
So also the second line would have lead to mate. :)

I was lucky that those winning lines where in the position, but things looked bad for him, with me so much material on his bare king, his queen out of the way. It just felt good to give it a try. And if I couldn't find anything, I had my eternal check.

But this was much more fun :D

http://tinyurl.com/funny-game

Eli Kesef

Dec 12, 2023, 6:45:53 AM12/12/23
Bs"d

No doubt about that one. When we get older not only the muscles atrophy, but also our brains. That's just the way it is.

And there is the point that I have an ENORMOUS concentration problem. If I have a good day, I can concentrate for about 10 minutes, and then my brain shuts down.
On a bad day those 10 minutes become 10 seconds.
And then the chess blindness hits me like a ton of bricks. Suddenly I see nothing anymore. Start blundering pieces away left and right.

Sometimes in a state like that, I keep on playing on, and drive my rating into the ground.

A week or so ago I went over the 1900, but immediately went under again. The 2000 I can now only dream of.

But I'm not complaining. The average server rating on Lichess is 1600, so I'm a few hundreds points above that. I could even as well have been a few hundreds points below average, God forbid.

So I'm not a GM. Well, most people are not. Only one in a million or so is. No surprise there.

The important thing is that you are enjoying yourself. And I'm having A LOT of fun whith those trappy gambits. And that's what it's all about.

https://tinyurl.com/Karp-no-fut

Phil Innes

Dec 20, 2023, 4:41:59 PM12/20/23
On Tuesday, December 12, 2023 at 6:45:53 AM UTC-5, Eli Kesef wrote:
> Bs"d
>
> No doubt about that one. When we get older not only the muscles atrophy, but also our brains. That's just the way it is.

Our good or bad habits persist, is more pertinent, rather than an increased awareness of what is required in a particular situation. Instead of habitual plans and behaviors we have not yet permitted our right-brain pattern recognition to kick in, thus it is all a struggle to calculate things, right? This is as you say, exhausting.

> And there is the point that I have an ENORMOUS concentration problem. If I have a good day, I can concentrate for about 10 minutes, and then my brain shuts down.
> On a bad day those 10 minutes become 10 seconds.
> And then the chess blindness hits me like a ton of bricks. Suddenly I see nothing anymore. Start blundering pieces away left and right.

Your ideas are not controlling anything, so... it is not concentration, but missing the other side of the brain, the left working to a plan revealed by the right.

> Sometimes in a state like that, I keep on playing on, and drive my rating into the ground.
>
> A week or so ago I went over the 1900, but immediately went under again. The 2000 I can now only dream of.

This is an online rating? Typically bout 150 to 200 points below OTB level.

> But I'm not complaining. The average server rating on Lichess is 1600, so I'm a few hundreds points above that. I could even as well have been a few hundreds points below average, God forbid.

You likely are an OTB 1600 player

> So I'm not a GM. Well, most people are not. Only one in a million or so is. No surprise there.
>
> The important thing is that you are enjoying yourself. And I'm having A LOT of fun whith those trappy gambits. And that's what it's all about.

Well... if the intent of the post is to offer playing advice while having fun, you will remain a maybe 1600 player. To go beyond that you need to progress beyond trips and traps, and start playing the position as it presents itself. This is true for all players unless they are content with where they are.

Phil Innes

> https://tinyurl.com/Karp-no-fut

Eli Kesef

Dec 22, 2023, 8:46:09 AM12/22/23
On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 11:41:59 PM UTC+2, Phil Innes wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 12, 2023 at 6:45:53 AM UTC-5, Eli Kesef wrote:
> > Bs"d
> >
> > No doubt about that one. When we get older not only the muscles atrophy, but also our brains. That's just the way it is.
> Our good or bad habits persist, is more pertinent, rather than an increased awareness of what is required in a particular situation. Instead of habitual plans and behaviors we have not yet permitted our right-brain pattern recognition to kick in, thus it is all a struggle to calculate things, right? This is as you say, exhausting.
> > And there is the point that I have an ENORMOUS concentration problem. If I have a good day, I can concentrate for about 10 minutes, and then my brain shuts down.
> > On a bad day those 10 minutes become 10 seconds.
> > And then the chess blindness hits me like a ton of bricks. Suddenly I see nothing anymore. Start blundering pieces away left and right.
> Your ideas are not controlling anything, so... it is not concentration, but missing the other side of the brain, the left working to a plan revealed by the right.
> > Sometimes in a state like that, I keep on playing on, and drive my rating into the ground.
> >
> > A week or so ago I went over the 1900, but immediately went under again. The 2000 I can now only dream of.
> This is an online rating?

Bs"d

Lichess rating.

> Typically bout 150 to 200 points below OTB level.

I would say typically 200 points above OTB level.

> > But I'm not complaining. The average server rating on Lichess is 1600, so I'm a few hundreds points above that. I could even as well have been a few hundreds points below average, God forbid.
> You likely are an OTB 1600 player

When I was playing on a club, I was in the 1700's.

> > So I'm not a GM. Well, most people are not. Only one in a million or so is. No surprise there.
> >
> > The important thing is that you are enjoying yourself. And I'm having A LOT of fun with those trappy gambits. And that's what it's all about.
> Well... if the intent of the post is to offer playing advice while having fun, you will remain a maybe 1600 player. To go beyond that you need to progress beyond trips and traps, and start playing the position as it presents itself. This is true for all players unless they are content with where they are.

I'm very content where I am. I'm not going to be a master, so no reason to exert myself.

It has to stay fun, not work.

https://tinyurl.com/life-or-dead