Most Games Played in USCF?

William Collin

Mar 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/9/96
I noticed that Robert Smeltzer led the nation last with 2266 games play in 1995.
Does anybody know who leads in games in a decade? in a career?
thanks
collin

William B. Wright

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
In article <collin-0903...@dal287.computek.net>,
col...@computek.net (William Collin) wrote:

Is this right? How does one go about playing an average of 6.2 games per *DAY*?

Dr. Roy Schmidt

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
William B. Wright wrote:
: In article <collin-0903...@dal287.computek.net>,
: col...@computek.net (William Collin) wrote:

When you want to be Senior Master in a hurry, you have to make some
sacrifices. :^). Anyone with any common sense (apparently excludes the
USCF ratings staff) can see this is bogus. I hope the USCF throws the book
at the "certified TD" who signed those reports.

--
Dr. Roy Schmidt sch...@uxmail.ust.hk | **This space for rent**
The University of Science and Technology | **Inquire Within**

Matthew Housholder

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
In article <4i339h$1...@ustsu10.ust.hk>, sch...@uxmail.ust.hk (Dr. Roy
Schmidt) wrote:

> William B. Wright wrote:
> : In article <collin-0903...@dal287.computek.net>,
> : col...@computek.net (William Collin) wrote:
>
> : > I noticed that Robert Smeltzer led the nation last with 2266 games play
> : in 1995.
> : > Does anybody know who leads in games in a decade? in a career?
> : > thanks
> : > collin
>
> : Is this right? How does one go about playing an average of 6.2 games
per *DAY*?

> When you want to be Senior Master in a hurry, you have to make some
> sacrifices. :^). Anyone with any common sense (apparently excludes the
> USCF ratings staff) can see this is bogus. I hope the USCF throws the book
> at the "certified TD" who signed those reports.

Well, at first glance maybe, but upon closer inspection there may be an
answer. Out of the top 20 busiest overall 3 are from TX, 10 are from VA,
and 5 are from GA (with many more from that list in the same areas). Is
there a possibility that there are *very* active chess clubs in these
states (or in one city)? Is there a possibility that there is a
*physical* chess club that offers USCF rated games (of all time controls)
during its open hours (I know that the Manhatten chess club and the
Marshall chess club in NY offer real tourneys what seems like every
night)? These players could be retirees that obviously love to spend
their time playing chess (obviously not ratings, as the number 1 has a
rating of 1607 which is nowhere near a life master!)
Just my $.02
-Matty

Eric Peterson

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
>> William B. Wright wrote:
>> : In article <collin-0903...@dal287.computek.net>,
>> : col...@computek.net (William Collin) wrote:
>>
>> : > I noticed that Robert Smeltzer led the nation last with 2266 games play
>> : in 1995.
>> : > Does anybody know who leads in games in a decade? in a career?
>> : > thanks
>> : > collin
>>
>> : Is this right? How does one go about playing an average of 6.2 games
>per *DAY*?
>>
>> When you want to be Senior Master in a hurry, you have to make some
>> sacrifices. :^). Anyone with any common sense (apparently excludes the
>> USCF ratings staff) can see this is bogus. I hope the USCF throws the book
>> at the "certified TD" who signed those reports.

Before Mr. Smeltzer, TDs, and various other people become the villains of the
decade, I'd like to throw out a few facts:

I've known Mr. Smeltzer for 10 years as a member of the Dallas Chess Club.
In 1995 he played in just about every tournament available in Dallas. These
include 4 action games (30 minute) every Wednesday and Friday, and various
6-round action tournaments on Saturdays or Sundays. Mr. Smeltzer played
12 game matches with Game/30 time controls just about every Saturday
and Sunday that there were no tournaments. He also played matches on weekdays.
At Game/30 times controls, 6 games per day is an average of 4 or 5 hours.
Not impossible for a retired person.

I cannot verify the validity of all 2266 games. But knowing Mr. Smeltzer,
and his fanaticism for chess, I have no reason to suspect any "funny" business.

Eric Peterson
USCF Life Master
Dallas, Texas

Tim Sawyer

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
What I find more interesting than Robert Smeltzer's 2266 games with a
rating of 1607 is the second place guy Claude Bloodgood's 1763 games with
a rating of 2584!

Bloodgood is famous for his attacking ability, first with the Grob and
Englund Gambit. Now I understand he prefers the King's Gambit. Where he
is, TIME is not the problem. His offbeat play works well in chess, but in
life, it landed him in prison. I imagine he plays the same guys over and
over again.

Tim Sawyer

lsal...@iadfw.net

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
> sch...@uxmail.ust.hk (Dr. Roy Schmidt) writes:
> William B. Wright wrote:
> : In article <collin-0903...@dal287.computek.net>,
> : col...@computek.net (William Collin) wrote:
>
> : > I noticed that Robert Smeltzer led the nation last with 2266 games play
> : in 1995.
> : > Does anybody know who leads in games in a decade? in a career?
> : > thanks
> : > collin
>
> : Is this right? How does one go about playing an average of 6.2 games per *DAY*?
>
> When you want to be Senior Master in a hurry, you have to make some
> sacrifices. :^). Anyone with any common sense (apparently excludes the
> USCF ratings staff) can see this is bogus. I hope the USCF throws the book
> at the "certified TD" who signed those reports.
>

> --
> Dr. Roy Schmidt sch...@uxmail.ust.hk | **This space for rent**
> The University of Science and Technology | **Inquire Within**
> Clearwater Bay, HONG KONG |
> http://www.bi.ust.hk/~schmidt/index.html

Robert Smeltzer is retired. He played every week at the Dallas Chess Club's events.
Tuesday nights are 4 round Swiss event. Wednesday nights are 3 round Swiss event.
Friday nights are 4 round Swiss events. In addition, he would play a 14 game match on
Saturday and another on Sunday (if he could find an oppenent). All these games have a
game in 30 min. time control. Believe me he played them all and he also believes that
the USCF count is a little low.

Dr. Roy Schmidt

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
Dr. Roy Schmidt wrote:
: When you want to be Senior Master in a hurry, you have to make some

: sacrifices. :^). Anyone with any common sense (apparently excludes the
: USCF ratings staff) can see this is bogus. I hope the USCF throws the book
: at the "certified TD" who signed those reports.

My apologies to Mr. Smeltzer. Being at the far end of the "slow boat to
China", I did not have the issue of CL the original poster referred to.
Otherwise I would have seen Mr. Smeltzer's rating, and would not have
lumped him in with the guy who is in second place.

There must be some way to support chess in prisons without making a mockery
of the rating/title system. Has the USCF mailed Life Master/Life Senior
Master certificates to these guys yet? Better yet, how can they let such a
thing happen while keeping a tight reign on Jude Acers' rating?

Again, my most humble apologies to Mr. Smeltzer. And a piece of advice:
Take a trip to the VaPen. Play some matches with a few "masters" there.
They will appreciate the chance to play someone different, and your rating
will be none the worse for it :^).

: --

Kenneth Sloan

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
In article <4ibtui$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Tim Sawyer <tims...@aol.com> wrote:

>...when a player wins a game, the winner should have his rating
>increased at least one rating point.

Why do you think this should be so? Is this based on philosophy,
science, or mathematics?

Do you also believe that the loser should have his rating decreased at
least one rating point?

--
Kenneth Sloan sl...@cis.uab.edu
Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213

Brennan Tennesen Price

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
In article <mlh2001-1303...@ppp-k-19.bgsu.edu>,

>In article <4i339h$1...@ustsu10.ust.hk>, sch...@uxmail.ust.hk (Dr. Roy
>Roy Schmidt wrote:
>> I hope the USCF throws the book
>> at the "certified TD" who signed those reports.
>
>Well, at first glance maybe, but upon closer inspection there may be an
>answer. Out of the top 20 busiest overall 3 are from TX, 10 are from VA,
>and 5 are from GA (with many more from that list in the same areas). Is
>there a possibility that there are *very* active chess clubs in these
>states (or in one city)? Is there a possibility that there is a
>*physical* chess club that offers USCF rated games (of all time controls)
>during its open hours (I know that the Manhatten chess club and the
>Marshall chess club in NY offer real tourneys what seems like every
>night)? These players could be retirees that obviously love to spend
>their time playing chess (obviously not ratings, as the number 1 has a
>rating of 1607 which is nowhere near a life master!)

Well, so far as Georgia is concerned, the Atlanta Chess Center is open
six days a week, offering four USCF-rated events each week, and
usually more. All of Georgia's entrants on the busiest list are
frequent attendees.

Also, keep in mind that quick chess games count (G/10 to G/29). The
ACC holds a 3-round G/30 each Tuesday, a 5-round G/15 each Wednesday,
a 4-round G/20 each Thursday, and a 7-round G/10 each Friday. That's
19 games a week, up to 988 games per year. Attending just
a few nights per week puts you on the busiest list.

Add the weekend tournaments at many locations in Georgia in the mix, and
you can easily get over 1000 games, like John Williams (#7). John,
incidentally, is no retiree. He's an IRS agent here in Atlanta.

David Spinks and Joshua Houk direct nearly all of ACC's tournaments, putting
them near the top of the busiest TD's. I don't know how Gary Southerland
on the list, though, I don't think he's directed a tournament since
he transferred the management of ACC to David in 1994.

I don't know what's going on in Texas. Maybe there's a daily G/10
tournament there? If so, 2266 games isn't outside the realm of
possibility.

--Brennan Price
Secretary, Georgia Chess Association

--
"I'm Brennan T. Price, and I'm right, 'cause I'm the ref."

"Those who cry laissez-faire the loudest are precisely those who benefit
most from governmental intervention."--Lester Frank Ward

Tim Sawyer

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
I hope my previous posting regarding Claude Bloodgood did not give the
wrong impression. He has been a very high rated player for a very long
time. Claude does not need any illegal activity or "funny business" to be
rated over 2500. I think he was rated that pretty high before he ever
went to prison. I understand that from time to time the prison officials
have confiscated all his chess material which has been hard on him. I
don't think he is serving time for chess crimes.

The biggest problem is not with the players, but the with USCF itself
constantly manipulating the rating system. I am one of those radicals who
thinks that when a player wins a game, the winner should have his rating
increased at least one rating point. Obviously, there are times when the
USCF does not hold this viewpoint.

In the USA, what choice do we have? When I play correspondence chess, I
can play APCT or ICCF (there are other fine clubs in which I have also
played). For e-mail, I play IECG and APCT, and my only options for USCF
e-mail is limited to arranged matches since I do not have CompuServe. But
for OTB (Over-The-Board) rated events, the USCF is our ONLY choice. Like
a political party, it much be changed from within, and that takes a long
time.

Tim Sawyer

Dallas Chess Club

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
I can shed some light on Robert Smeltzer. Robert plays all his games at the
Dallas Chess Club, one of the busiest chess clubs in the country. While
Robert plays in all of our rated tournaments (currently Tuesday, Wednesday,
Friday, and most weekends), he played most of his games via arranged matches,
usually 10-14 games in length, all played at a G/30 time control.

Trust me, every single one of Robert Smeltzer's games were legitimate and
above-board. I would also bet money that not a single game was played at
faster than G/30 time control, making his achievement even more impressive.

Jim Kerr
former Dallas Chess Club Chief TD

bar...@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <4ibtui$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, tims...@aol.com (Tim Sawyer) writes:
> I am one of those radicals who
>thinks that when a player wins a game, the winner should have his rating
>increased at least one rating point.

Why? Are rating points coins to be collected? Does GM x show that he is
stronger than GM y by stomping a few dozen class players in a Swiss instead of
drawing a bunch of games with other GMs?
Shall I make senior master by playing only lower rated players for a few
years?. I guess I am one of those radicals who think ratings are supposed to
predict results, not look pretty on paper.

Bill Wright

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <collin-1403...@dal287.computek.net>, col...@computek.net (William Collin) writes:
|> There is no doubt that Robert Smeltzer played all 2266 games. He is an avid
|> player and I have been a victim of his "famous" pawn barrage and also have
|> taken advantage of it. My original query was to find out if he was near any
|> career totals.
|>
|> collin

If you know this to be accurate, could you answer my previous question?
That was: How is it possible for someone to play an average of 6.2 games
per *DAY*? It would take 6 hours per day to play 6 games of G/30 each
The guy would have to play every day without break, and then you would still
have only 2190 games played (365*6). How often are the tournaments at your club,
and what time controls. I don't doubt the guy plays a lot, but that total
is a good career for most people.

|> In article <4i339h$1...@ustsu10.ust.hk>, sch...@uxmail.ust.hk (Dr. Roy
|> Schmidt) wrote:
|>
|> > : Is this right? How does one go about playing an average of 6.2 games
|> per *DAY*?
|> >
|> > When you want to be Senior Master in a hurry, you have to make some
|> > sacrifices. :^). Anyone with any common sense (apparently excludes the
|> > USCF ratings staff) can see this is bogus. I hope the USCF throws the book

|> > at the "certified TD" who signed those reports.
|> >

|> > --
|> > Dr. Roy Schmidt sch...@uxmail.ust.hk | **This space for rent**
|> > The University of Science and Technology | **Inquire Within**
|> > Clearwater Bay, HONG KONG |
|> > http://www.bi.ust.hk/~schmidt/index.html

William Wright | phone: 216-977-1246
NASA Lewis Research Center |
Cleveland, Ohio 44135 | email: tob...@lerc.nasa.gov

lsal...@iadfw.net

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
writes:
> |> There is no doubt that Robert Smeltzer played all 2266 games. He is an avid
> |> player and I have been a victim of his "famous" pawn barrage and also have
> |> taken advantage of it. My original query was to find out if he was near any
> |> career totals.
> |>
> |> collin
> |>
> If you know this to be accurate, could you answer my previous question?
> That was: How is it possible for someone to play an average of 6.2 games
> per *DAY*? It would take 6 hours per day to play 6 games of G/30 each
> The guy would have to play every day without break, and then you would still
> have only 2190 games played (365*6). How often are the tournaments at your club,
> and what time controls. I don't doubt the guy plays a lot, but that total
> is a good career for most people.

I will repeat my earily posting. Smeltzer played a 14 game matchs on Saturday and a 14 game
matchs on Sunday. That is 28 games. His 14 games matches lasted only on average last 9 hours. Rarely did
he ever reach the point where both players were in time trouble. On Spring Break and summer vacation he
could play 14 game matches with student that were not going to school. I recall one week where he played
4 fourteen game matches. He had 67 games that week. He did play all those games and I repeat. Bob think
that USCF shorted him around 50 games.

Prasad Tammana

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96

I just moved to the Bay area from Dallas/Fortworth and I used to visit the Dallas
Chess Club a lot, probably played about 100 to 200 rated games during 1994-95 and
rarely saw Bob miss a tournament. DCC is a very active club, you get to play about
10 to 15 rated games a week if you play all scheduled tournaments. In addition Bob
plays 14 rated games a day pretty much every Saturday and Sunday. He asked me lot
of times if I could play him but 14 games in a day is too much for me (Damn! I
missed being part of history :). He wouldn't agree to playing 14 games over two
days which means he pretty much always had someone to play 14 games in a day during
the weekend. In addition, he would play 14 game matches with people during the week,
spread over a few days. If you add it all it comes to about 15+14+14+14 = 57 games
per week. So 57 game weeks are no big deal for Bob, amazing as it may be to you!

The point being, don't just say its bogus. I'm not sure how much information USCF
saves regarding the rated games and how much is accessible to public. If it does
keep track, you can easily go find who all Bob played and talk to them and verify
for yourself. Or else, just visit the Dallas Chess Club, meet Bob, he's always there
and talk to others at the club, you won't have anymore doubts about the authenticity
of his game total.

Bob did achieve the amazing feat, just shows how much he loves the game of chess.
Congratulations to him!

Prasad

Christopher K. Greenhalgh

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
In article <4ijrns$8...@sulawesi.lerc.nasa.gov> tob...@drlewice.lerc.nasa.gov (Bill Wright) writes:

>If you know this to be accurate, could you answer my previous question?
>That was: How is it possible for someone to play an average of 6.2 games
>per *DAY*? It would take 6 hours per day to play 6 games of G/30 each

It would not nessescarily take an hour per game @ G/30...a game could last a
little as 1 second.

Christopher K. Greenhalgh, N8WCT
Computer/Electronic Tech. II at The Ohio State University
E-Mail: ck...@osu.edu (cgre...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
AX.25 : n8wct@w8cqk.#cmh.oh.usa.noam

randall swanson

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
In article <4isbqa$9...@news.onramp.net>, <Unknown> (randall swanson) says:

>>If you know this to be accurate, could you answer my previous question?
>>That was: How is it possible for someone to play an average of 6.2 games
>>per *DAY*? It would take 6 hours per day to play 6 games of G/30 each
>>The guy would have to play every day without break, and then you would still
>>have only 2190 games played (365*6). How often are the tournaments at your club,
>>and what time controls. I don't doubt the guy plays a lot, but that total
>>is a good career for most people.

It's very possible when you consider that a G/30, which gives you up
to one full hour, can be completed in five minutes, game over, on to
the next game. Do you think someone is compelled to use the full
30 minutes per side? Don't you think it's likely that Mr. Smeltzer
plays very fast chess? I have played many matches with Mr. Smeltzer
and believe me he doesn't think for long before making a move :). He
plays 14 game matches only. If you try to schedule a 10 game match
with him he'll say not interested, he's got people lined up for matches
months in advance. Have you ever played a 14 game match at G/30 in a
day? It's alot of work, but I bet it won't take you 14 hours if you
try.

Randall Swanson
President
PINFORK MANAGEMENT, INC. (see web site: www.dallaschess.com/~dcc)

MORE...

Try to keep in mind his aim is quantity not quality. By the way, have
you done the math on 14 game matches in a year? How many 14 game
matches must one play to get to 2266?

randall swanson

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96

Tim Mirabile

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
tob...@drlewice.lerc.nasa.gov (Bill Wright) says:

>>If you know this to be accurate, could you answer my previous question?
>>That was: How is it possible for someone to play an average of 6.2 games
>>per *DAY*? It would take 6 hours per day to play 6 games of G/30 each

>>The guy would have to play every day without break [...]

Why no break? 8 games/day is fairly easy. 4 round action tourney
starting at noon. Over by 4:30, break for dinner and rest. Start
another at 7:30, get out by midnight, still have time for a good
nights sleep, and you can have Sundays and holidays off.

| Tim Mirabile <t...@mail.htp.com> |
| PGP Key ID: B7CE30D1 |