MacChess 2.5 is out! (released 8/1/96)

Richard A. Fowell

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

MacChess 2.5 - Freeware (postcardware) Macintosh chess playing program.

Very polished, strong, FREE! chess software. Commercial grade.
Scored 2330 USCF (strong master) on the "One-Hour Computer Chess Reports Test"
on my Mac 6100/66 with Speed Doubler, more than Crafty 9.30 (2260),
Chessmaster 3000 (2240), and GNUChess4.0b5 (2020).
Many user-requested feature improvements since the last version.
(EPD/PGN support, draggable pieces, "VCR" replay controls, time default, ...)
Download instructions at the end of this message.

Version 2.0 scored evenly vs.100+ Mhz Pentiums on a 20Mhz Centris 610
in the 1995 Dutch Computer Chess Championship. Use MacChess as a
sparring partner, and to store, review, print and analyze games.
Prints nice diagrams for chess club newsletters/instructional materials.

(c) 1996 by Wim van Beusekom, beus...@knoware.nl
Requires System 7, 2.5 Mb RAM, and a 68020 or better.
Runs fine on PowerMacs, but really benefits from the Connectix utility
"Speed Doubler" - without it, 60-90 points weaker (slower).
Do not distribute for profit or on CD-ROM without permission.

Besides strength, it has lots of features: ( ! = new since 2.0)
* either Black or White can be played by human or machine
* 5 chess sets, each in b/w or color, (!) can select board colors
* You can set its strength based on time taken or moves seen
* You can take back as many moves as you like
* You can scroll through (back and forth) saved games
* You can turn off its opening book or thinking on your time
* You can ask for a hint, or force the computer to move now
! Reads/Writes PGN/EPD formats (used by chess archives and databases)
! Move list has "VCR" controls, click to go to any move, animation
! Added "American Style" piece set - most popular U.S. piece style.
! iconic position setup, separate windows menu
! Preferences window for set choice, color, sound, etc.
! Set default time control for games
! Choice of short/long notation, click or drag movement
! Improved compatibility with 68030 machines like the IIsi
! Batch position analysis feature, with detailed log files
* It displays:
- current opening
- what it thinks the best line is
- what move it is currently examining
- time taken by each player (on current move, and total)
* You can save or load games
* You can print out the game score (move sequence)
* You can save positions as graphics or text
* You can print positions as graphics
* You can have Black at the top or bottom of the screen

How to get MacChess 2.5:

On AOL:
a) Go to keyword "hot files"
(use the COMMAND-K shortcut, or the "keyword" command in the "GoTo" menu)
b) Double-click on "8/2 MacChess 2.5"
c) Double-click on "Download Now" ;)

On the Internet:
<ftp://chess.onenet.net//pub/chess/uploads/Macintosh/macchess-25.hqx>
if not there, try:
<ftp://chess.onenet.net//pub/chess/Macintosh/macchess-25.hqx>

Enjoy!

fow...@netcom.com (Richard A. Fowell)

Rick McDaniel

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In article <fowellD...@netcom.com>, fow...@netcom.com (Richard A.
Fowell) wrote:

> MacChess 2.5 - Freeware (postcardware) Macintosh chess playing program.
>
> Very polished, strong, FREE! chess software. Commercial grade.
> Scored 2330 USCF (strong master) on the "One-Hour Computer Chess Reports
Test"
> on my Mac 6100/66 with Speed Doubler, more than Crafty 9.30 (2260),
> Chessmaster 3000 (2240), and GNUChess4.0b5 (2020).
> Many user-requested feature improvements since the last version.
> (EPD/PGN support, draggable pieces, "VCR" replay controls, time default, ...)
> Download instructions at the end of this message.

A great game. It waxes CM 3000 without breaking a sweat in a head to head
competition.

--
Rick McDaniel