Canadian Closed 1995 - Final Results

Vojin Vujosevic

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95

AND WHO SAYS THERE IS NO EXCITEMENT AT CHESS TOURNAMENTS ?

The Canadian Closed 1995 is over. After many tribulations the
situation has chrystalized and it is not lonely at the top.

The final & official crosstable shows:

1.-3. IM Bryon Nickoloff of Toronto, Ontario all 5.5 pts from 9
FM Ron Livshits of Toronto, Ontario
FM Francois Leveille of Montreal, Quebec

4.-5. IM Deen Hergott of Ottawa, Ontario 5 points
IM Tom O'Donnell of Montreal, Quebec

6.-7. FM Raymond Stone of Windsor, Ontario 4.5 pts
FM Gordon Taylor of Ottawa, Ontario

8. NM Adam Littke of Ottawa, Ontario 4 pts

9. FM Glenn Johnstone of Ottawa, Ontario 3.5 pts

10. NM Bob Kiviaho of Timmins, Ontario 2 points.

The games have been promised but it may take a day or two. If there
is a problem with posting them they'll be E-mailed to me and I will
post promptly.

A tie-breaking match will be needed to decide who the champion is as
well as the two direct qualifiers for the next year's full fledged
Canadian Closed and Zonal.

This tournament finished among much controversy. The TD Brad
Thompson had forfeited Bryon Nickoloff in his 3rd round game versus
Glenn Johnstone. Brad deemed Bryon not to be in a state fit to finish
the game and had him forfeited. It seems Bryon was asleep at the
board, chess is a boring game, and was awakened by a friend also a
participant. Bryon had 10 minutes on the clock left. He then went
to the washroom and refreshed himself and appeared to be fine except
he was not allowed to complete the game (standing at 8 moves at that
point). We know he was capable of reeling off about 300 moves in the
remaining 5 minutes or so he had left. I hasten to add Bryon did
not misbehave or otherwise break the rules at this point in time. He
did not have any more similar problems to the end of the tournament.

Nickoloff appealed. The appeals committee consisting of Les Bunning,
Steven Ball and Doug Burgess, two lawyers and 1 accountant all three
former CFC presidents and very experienced took five days to decide
as they could not meet earlier due to their busy schedule.

By this time IM Deen Hergott had won 4 games and went from minus 2 to
plus 2!! The Appeals Committee ruled that the game had to be resumed.
Glen Johnstone decided to resign rather than accept this decision.
Six players, all except Nickoloff, Kiviaho, Stone and Taylor, appealed
and threatened to leave the tournament if the decision was not
reversed.

The National Appeals Committee convened via a conference call and
decided to support TD's decision i.e. the forfeit stood. There were
further problems with whether or not the players who announced they
would not play could continue. Deen Hergott left the tournament
in disgust before the final decision was reached. An ad hoc Appeals
Committee looked at the remaining problems. The TD quit in disgust
and Tony Cheron of Toronto was acting as the TD for the last round.
The all important game Hergott-Nickoloff was a forfeit in Nick's
favour which is most unfortunate.

This is based on a conversation with a member of the National Appeals
Committee, a participant of the tournament, three CFC Executive
members and some private phone calls and Internet messages. Any
errors may be attributed to me and are not meant to injure anyone. The
report is based on the details known at this time.

I have received information from people who came to watch that, to
the extent they could see everything was fine and looked professionally
done. The spectators were distributed sheets with the games of
previous rounds. The players may have left bewildered and unhappy
but the spectators have only good things to say.

Vojin.

Notme ru

Aug 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/27/95
Subject: Canadian Closed 1995 - Final Results
vojin.v...@canrem.com (Vojin Vujosevic) wrote:

< I hasten to add Bryon did not misbehave or otherwise break the rules at
this point in time. He did not have any more similar problems to the end
of the tournament.>

BFD. So your precious Bryon had so exhausted his available lines of credit
(people he could sponge off of) that he had to remain sober at a chess
tournament. Poor baby!