I may need a break from chess

Praetor Mandrake

Dec 24, 2023, 12:13:14 AM12/24/23
Typically I'd make the first "good" move I found. In the past two
months or so, after having some games with pieces and a board I've
found the patience to thoroughly explore my options.

But now the worst thing has happened: I felt sorry for an opponent.
He happened to be 10 points behind and my next move would exchange
queens.

That was my flaw in tennis. It cost me many a game. I could have been
a contender, instead I was 6th place and there were only 6 places of
concern (last place of starting players at tournaments). I have to
stave off this empathy for the other player.

Eli Kesef

Dec 24, 2023, 12:38:38 PM12/24/23
On Sunday, December 24, 2023 at 7:13:14 AM UTC+2, Praetor Mandrake wrote:
> Typically I'd make the first "good" move I found. In the past two
> months or so, after having some games with pieces and a board I've
> found the patience to thoroughly explore my options.

Bs"d

I had my patience tested. Turns out I'm negative.

https://tinyurl.com/kind-not-chess

> That was my flaw in tennis. It cost me many a game. I could have been
> a contender, instead I was 6th place and there were only 6 places of
> concern (last place of starting players at tournaments). I have to
> stave off this empathy for the other player.

Don't see him as "the other player", in stead see him as "THE ENEMY".

https://tinyurl.com/Short-kill

Try to start to see the fun in it: http://tinyurl.com/ego-breaker

If you can't overcome your weakness, maybe another hobby is better for you. Knitting for instance. Beautiful and useful things might come forth from that.

https://tinyurl.com/violent-sport

William Hyde

Dec 24, 2023, 4:07:17 PM12/24/23
On Sunday, December 24, 2023 at 12:13:14 AM UTC-5, Praetor Mandrake wrote:
> Typically I'd make the first "good" move I found. In the past two
> months or so, after having some games with pieces and a board I've
> found the patience to thoroughly explore my options.
>
> But now the worst thing has happened: I felt sorry for an opponent.
> He happened to be 10 points behind

I feel sorry for him too. Nobody ever told him about the word "resigns".

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

William Hyde