Success with bishop and knight against king

Paul Epstein

Mar 4, 2023, 4:30:29 PM3/4/23
There are lots of accounts of how to mate with bishop and knight
against king. My preferred version is the one by Jesus de la Villa in
his 100 endgames book.
This enabled me to beat Stockfish at its highest setting from an initial position
which I tried to make as challenging as possible.
It wasn't at all straightforward for me. I remembered the positions
from de la Villa (I didn't allow myself to consult any text while reading)
but struggled to reach some of them.
The score and initial position are below.
Just so that I'm not deluding myself, I'll take up another challenge against
Stockfish if anyone wants to give another initial position.
Of course, Q against R is so much harder.

[White "Guest"]
[Black "Stockfish (Level 10)"]
[Result "1-0"]
[FEN "8/8/8/3k4/8/8/1B6/K6N b - - 0 1"]
2... Ke4 3.Nf2+ Ke3 4.Nd1+ Kd3 5.Kb1 Kd2 6.Nc3 Kd3 7.Kc1 Kd4 8.Kc2 Ke5 9.Kd3 Kd6 10.Kd4 Kc6 11.Ba3 Kc7 12.Kd5 Kb7 13.Bb4 Kc7 14.Na4 Kb8 15.Nc5 Kc7 16.Ba5+ Kb8 17.Bb6 Kc8 18.Kc6 Kb8 19.Ne6 Kc8 20.Bc5 Kb8 21.Nc7 Kc8 22.Ba7 Kd8 23.Nd5 Ke8 24.Kd6 Kf7 25.Ne7 Kg7 26.Be3 Kf6 27.Bf4 Kf7 28.Bg5 Ke8 29.Nd5 Kf8 30.Ke6 Kg7 31.Ne7 Kf8 32.Nf5 Ke8 33.Ng7+ Kf8 34.Bf6 Kg8 35.Nf5 Kh7 36.Ng3 Kg6 37.Ke7 Kh6 38.Kf7 Kh7 39.Bg5 Kh8 40.Bh6 Kh7 41.Bf8 Kh8 42.Nh5 Kh7 43.Nf6+ Kh8 44.Bg7# 1-0

Eli Kesef

Mar 8, 2023, 4:26:55 AM3/8/23
Bs"d

There are many ways to skin a cat, but I have the impression that you are making things unnecessary complicated. It took you 44 moves, while normal is about 35. It looks you use the same method as I do, only in the end you made a mess out of it, and wasted moves.

I'm lately a kind of OK with that mate, so when irritating opponents don't wanna resign despite me having an overwhelming material advantage, then I often continue to sacrifice all my material, until I'm left with king bishop and horse, and then checkmate him.

That almost always goes well, just not too long ago I was getting overconfident, moved too fast, and stalemated the enemy: https://lichess.org/qtEZfmAr85Vr

But the vast majority of the time it goes OK: https://lichess.org/9JIXSO9jd4R6

If you didn't learn this mate, it is impossible. I read about a GM who got it on the board, was not familiar with it, and didn't succeed.

Once you learned it it is not a big deal.

https://tinyurl.com/horse-bishop

Andy Walker

Mar 8, 2023, 4:44:07 AM3/8/23
On 04/03/2023 21:30, Paul Epstein wrote:
> There are lots of accounts of how to mate with bishop and knight
> against king.

I learned how to do it many, many years ago. I've had it just
once in actual play. Sadly, it was a Kriegspiel game, so it was, of
course, absolutely hopeless. The spectators just fell about laughing,
as did my opponent and the referee.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Ken Blake

Mar 8, 2023, 10:32:09 AM3/8/23
On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 09:44:05 +0000, Andy Walker <a...@cuboid.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 04/03/2023 21:30, Paul Epstein wrote:
>> There are lots of accounts of how to mate with bishop and knight
>> against king.
>
> I learned how to do it many, many years ago. I've had it just
>once in actual play. Sadly, it was a Kriegspiel game, so it was, of
>course, absolutely hopeless. The spectators just fell about laughing,
>as did my opponent and the referee.

In all my years playing in over-the-board tournaments, I was never in
a B+N ending, so I never took the trouble to learn how.

And I haven't played kriegspiel in about 65 years.

The Horny Goat

Mar 9, 2023, 4:00:33 AM3/9/23
On Wed, 08 Mar 2023 08:32:05 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>In all my years playing in over-the-board tournaments, I was never in
>a B+N ending, so I never took the trouble to learn how.

I only ever saw it between rounds at a tournament where a player would
play it at 5min speed controls for a beer if he won.

Let's just say the guy didn't drive himself home that night!

Eli Kesef

Mar 29, 2023, 3:51:32 AM3/29/23
Bs"d

I think this is a reasonably smooth mate with horse and bishop: https://lichess.org/GTExQw2u/white#215

After winning a not very remarkably game against a lower rated opponent he resigned on move 38. I wanted to see what would have happened if he would have played on, so I went to analysis board and continued the game against the computer, Stockfish level 14.

I relieved the enemy of all his pieces, sacrificed all my pieces except for a horse and bishop, and started to mate him.

I managed not to stalemate the enemy, and not let him escape. From the moment I was left with only horse and bishop it took me 30 moves to mate him, a bit less then usual.

Reasonably smooth.

Now I want to learn the endgame of queen against castle.

https://tinyurl.com/extr-sky

Paul Epstein

Apr 1, 2023, 7:09:36 PM4/1/23
On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 9:44:07 AM UTC, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 04/03/2023 21:30, Paul Epstein wrote:
> > There are lots of accounts of how to mate with bishop and knight
> > against king.
> I learned how to do it many, many years ago. I've had it just
> once in actual play. Sadly, it was a Kriegspiel game, so it was, of
> course, absolutely hopeless. The spectators just fell about laughing,
> as did my opponent and the referee.

But B and N against K is a win also in Kriegspiel so it was only
"hopeless" if you hadn't learned the win.
It is given here: https://www.math.ucla.edu/~tom/papers/ks.pdf

Presumably the 50 move rule doesn't hold in Kriegspiel.

Paul

Andy Walker

Apr 9, 2023, 4:43:55 AM4/9/23
On 02/04/2023 00:09, Paul Epstein wrote:
[me:]
>> I learned how to do it many, many years ago. I've had it just
>> once in actual play. Sadly, it was a Kriegspiel game, so it was, of
>> course, absolutely hopeless. The spectators just fell about laughing,
>> as did my opponent and the referee.
> But B and N against K is a win also in Kriegspiel so it was only
> "hopeless" if you hadn't learned the win.
> It is given here: https://www.math.ucla.edu/~tom/papers/ks.pdf

I get "server not found" with that address; no matter, I found
the paper elsewhere. V interesting, but [sadly] not that helpful; it's
barely worth the time and effort to learn the original KBNvK mate, so
it's certainly not worth the effort [in practical terms] to learn it for
Kriegspiel. Even KQvK is non-trivial [and can take over 40 moves], and
KRvK relies on a certain amount of luck [and/or better knowledge of the
starting position]. But in any case, Ferguson's research was around a
quarter of a century too late for my game.

> Presumably the 50 move rule doesn't hold in Kriegspiel.

AFAIK, it does in the UK. Just another reason why long and
probabilistic solutions are not worth much effort! But most of the
KS games I've played or witnessed quickly became very unbalanced,
and were therefore quite short. Our "horse fork" friend should try
it -- plenty of scope to trap the unwary.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music
Composer of the day: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music/Composers/Dussek

Ken Blake

Apr 9, 2023, 10:57:25 AM4/9/23
On Sun, 9 Apr 2023 09:43:53 +0100, Andy Walker <a...@cuboid.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 02/04/2023 00:09, Paul Epstein wrote:
>[me:]
>>> I learned how to do it many, many years ago. I've had it just
>>> once in actual play. Sadly, it was a Kriegspiel game, so it was, of
>>> course, absolutely hopeless. The spectators just fell about laughing,
>>> as did my opponent and the referee.
>> But B and N against K is a win also in Kriegspiel so it was only
>> "hopeless" if you hadn't learned the win.
>> It is given here: https://www.math.ucla.edu/~tom/papers/ks.pdf
>
> I get "server not found" with that address; no matter, I found
>the paper elsewhere. V interesting, but [sadly] not that helpful; it's
>barely worth the time and effort to learn the original KBNvK mate, so

Yes, it's highly unlikely that you will ever find yourself needing to
know it,

On the other hand, if you do, and can't win the game, it would be very
embarrassing.

>it's certainly not worth the effort [in practical terms] to learn it for
>Kriegspiel.

Yes, definitely true, as far as I'm concerned. Moreover, few people
ever play Kriegspiel, and most don't even know what it is.

>Even KQvK is non-trivial

I completely disagree, It's extremely easy. Even today, 64 years after
I last played any serious chess, I could do it my sleep.

Unless you mean in Kriegspiel.

>[and can take over 40 moves], and
>KRvK relies on a certain amount of luck [and/or better knowledge of the
>starting position].

Nonsense. No luck is required. It's extremely easy. Unless you mean in
Kriegspiel.

Andy Walker

Apr 9, 2023, 1:56:28 PM4/9/23
On 09/04/2023 15:57, Ken Blake wrote:
[I wrote, re KBNvK:]
>> it's certainly not worth the effort [in practical terms] to learn it for
>> Kriegspiel.
> Yes, definitely true, as far as I'm concerned. Moreover, few people
> ever play Kriegspiel, and most don't even know what it is.
>> Even KQvK is non-trivial
> I completely disagree, It's extremely easy. Even today, 64 years after
> I last played any serious chess, I could do it my sleep.
> Unless you mean in Kriegspiel.

Harrumph. Well, as my previous two words were "for Kriegspiel", I
didn't feel it necessary to repeat that I indeed meant "for Kriegspiel".
Apologies if I've over-egged a left-Pondian mickey-take.

>> [and can take over 40 moves], and
>> KRvK relies on a certain amount of luck [and/or better knowledge of the
>> starting position].
> Nonsense. No luck is required. It's extremely easy. Unless you mean in
> Kriegspiel.

Ditto. OTOH, a few years back, I watched a reasonably strong player
[2100-ish] struggle to force mate in [normal chess] KRvK; he made it with
perhaps five moves to spare. His opponent was too busy reaching a time
control to resign; having reached it, and seen what difficulties my friend
was having, he played on anyway and nearly reaped his reward. "Never miss
a check" may be good advice, but "always give a check" certainly isn't.

Ken Blake

Apr 9, 2023, 2:12:28 PM4/9/23
On Sun, 9 Apr 2023 18:56:27 +0100, Andy Walker <a...@cuboid.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 09/04/2023 15:57, Ken Blake wrote:
>[I wrote, re KBNvK:]
>>> it's certainly not worth the effort [in practical terms] to learn it for
>>> Kriegspiel.
>> Yes, definitely true, as far as I'm concerned. Moreover, few people
>> ever play Kriegspiel, and most don't even know what it is.
>>> Even KQvK is non-trivial
>> I completely disagree, It's extremely easy. Even today, 64 years after
>> I last played any serious chess, I could do it my sleep.
>> Unless you mean in Kriegspiel.
>
> Harrumph. Well, as my previous two words were "for Kriegspiel", I
>didn't feel it necessary to repeat that I indeed meant "for Kriegspiel".
>Apologies if I've over-egged a left-Pondian mickey-take.

Not at all. Actually when I started writing my message, I thought you
meant in normal chess, then thinking about it some more, I realized
that I might be (probably was?) wrong, so I added the two "Unless you
mean in Kriegspiel"s.

The Horny Goat

Apr 9, 2023, 2:31:07 PM4/9/23
On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 07:57:20 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>I completely disagree, It's extremely easy. Even today, 64 years after
>I last played any serious chess, I could do it my sleep.

64 years? Definitely older than me then.

One of the crowning embarassments of my life is remembering when I
told my grandfather (who taught me to play) "I don't want to play with
you anymore you're too WEAK!!"

This was after I had played in my first 2-3 tournaments, done
reasonably well, and no question he was NOT a strong player but to say
that to somebody near and dear to me .....50 years later, oy veh!

The Horny Goat

Apr 9, 2023, 2:35:09 PM4/9/23
wrote:

> Ditto. OTOH, a few years back, I watched a reasonably strong player
>[2100-ish] struggle to force mate in [normal chess] KRvK; he made it with
>perhaps five moves to spare. His opponent was too busy reaching a time
>control to resign; having reached it, and seen what difficulties my friend
>was having, he played on anyway and nearly reaped his reward. "Never miss
>a check" may be good advice, but "always give a check" certainly isn't.

I would never criticize a player doing the darnedst things while in
trouble as long as it was strictly over the board and not rude and
appalling in any other way.

While I'm a fairly fast player who has been in time trouble at most 10
times in 40 years, I've had plenty of opponents who were polite but
clearly hoping for a miracle in their own time trouble. On the other
hand I remember one where I hung a minor piece against somebody 600
pts lower and hung on for 40 moves for no apparent reason other than
ego (and was ashamed of myself driving home)

Ken Blake

Apr 9, 2023, 4:14:31 PM4/9/23
On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 11:35:05 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
wrote:
I remember once resigning in an even (or almost-even) position against
soneone who went on to become World's Champion (Bobby Fischer, in the
1956 US Junior championship). I thought I had to lose a piece, and I
completely missed the saving move. We were around the same rating
then. And I wasn't in time trouble. I'm still ashamed of myself. That
final position, 67 years later, is still indelibly engraved on my
mind.

Ken Blake

Apr 9, 2023, 4:58:13 PM4/9/23
On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 11:31:03 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 07:57:20 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I completely disagree, It's extremely easy.

I was wrong. He meant in Kriegspiel, I thought he meant in regular
chess. I don't think I could do it in Kriegspiel.

>> Even today, 64 years after
>>I last played any serious chess, I could do it my sleep.
>
>64 years? Definitely older than me then.

I'm 85.In 1959, 64 years ago, at the age of 21, I graduated from
college, got married, and got my first full-time job. I had no time
for chess clubs (the Manhattan and the Marshall, in NYC; I was a
member of both) or tournaments, and certainly had no time for reading
chess books or magazines and studying chess anymore.

Two years later, my son was born, and I had even less free time.

My rating was almost exactly 2000 in 1959. As I understand it, if I
was playing at that strength today, I'd be around 2200. But my skills
have wasted away, my opening knowledge is obsolete, and I'm way out of
practice, so I'd probably be well under 2000 if I were to play now.

I've never played on the Internet. I'm afraid to. I'm not afraid of
losing, I'm afraid that after I finished a game (especially if I lost)
I'd spend hours analyzing the game, studying its opening, figuring out
what I did wrong, and working on becoming a better player again.
That's what I did in my teens, and it largely screwed up my education,
since I studied chess, not what I should have studied, I don't want to
relive those years. I have better things to do with my time.

Despite chess having screwed up my education, I still remember those
years with fondness--the clubs, the games, the many postal games I
played, the books, the magazines (I read almost all of the them, from
more than one country), and most of all, the other club players I knew
(most of them stronger than me); I knew some better than others but I
knew almost all the strong players in the US, except for Reshevsky and
Evans. Many became friends, and one became a close friend until he
died last year.

Years later, after I retired, I became the chess coach and teacher in
two schools, an elementary school and a middle school, but those
efforts only took a couple of hours a week out of my life.

I enjoyed teaching chess, when I first started, especially in the
middle school, where I had a couple of talented students. I did it for
the pleasure, not for the few dollars I was paid. When the last of the
talented students graduated, and I was nothing more than a baby-sitter
for the others who paid no attention to me (it was an after-school
program), I quit. I didn't mind if everyone but one talented student
paid no attention, but I felt I was wasting my time if nobody did.

Sorry for the long "chess biography" if it bored you.

>One of the crowning embarassments of my life is remembering when I
>told my grandfather (who taught me to play) "I don't want to play with
>you anymore you're too WEAK!!"

I was taught by my stepfather. We stopped playing together when *he*
realized I had become the stronger player. I don't remember ever
saying anything like that,

>This was after I had played in my first 2-3 tournaments, done

I think I was about 15 when I played in my first tournament.

>reasonably well, and no question he was NOT a strong player but to say
>that to somebody near and dear to me .....50 years later, oy veh!

How old were you when you said it?

The Horny Goat

Apr 12, 2023, 6:05:35 AM4/12/23
On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 13:58:08 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>>This was after I had played in my first 2-3 tournaments, done
>
>I think I was about 15 when I played in my first tournament.
>
>>reasonably well, and no question he was NOT a strong player but to say
>>that to somebody near and dear to me .....50 years later, oy veh!
>
>How old were you when you said it?

11 I think - as you see it was (retrospectively) the most embarassing
moment of my life at that point - and I knew that by junior high.

I never made 2200 or even 2000 but I >did< organize a lot of events
and got my International Arbiter.

A lot as in 100+ rated events with everything from club level to FIDE
rated to a Zonal. (Canadian Championship)

The Horny Goat

Apr 12, 2023, 6:24:45 AM4/12/23
On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 13:14:28 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>I remember once resigning in an even (or almost-even) position against
>soneone who went on to become World's Champion (Bobby Fischer, in the
>1956 US Junior championship). I thought I had to lose a piece, and I
>completely missed the saving move. We were around the same rating
>then. And I wasn't in time trouble. I'm still ashamed of myself. That
>final position, 67 years later, is still indelibly engraved on my
>mind.

I never played more than 1 or 2 future IMs and GMs but at the 1971
Canadian Open I was in a position a protected passed pawn up against a
player about 250 pts above me (easy win right?) and got greedy and
played Bxh7 immediately followed by g6 of course and while I ended up
with 3p's for the B wasn't enough to draw.

When he played g6 I cupped my head in my hands, looked up and saw a
very distinguished player watching my game, and when I blundered
noticed he had seen my immediate reaction shook his head and sadly
walked away.

10 minutes later I walked up to the front and realized this was World
Champion Boris Spassky and ever since I've wondered if the following
year in Reyjavik when Fischer played Bxa2 in game one if Spassky
remembered that disconsolate teenage in Vancouver the previous year
(in pretty much the same position with colors reversed)

I cannot make up stuff like this. :)

Along the way I also met Paul Keres (got him to autograph his ending
book for me), Max Euwe (we were making too much noise in the skittles
room and he came in to tell me and my bodies to quiet down) as well as
directing the tournament that featured all living Canadian GMs but
Biyiasas (who was by then living in the US, and retired from chess due
to medical conditions involving his vision) - Suttles wasn't playing
but Spraggett and Lesiege were and the photo ended up on the coverage
of the En Passant magazine (at the time this was the Canadian
federation's mag). The only other person in the picture was my
assistant TD Lynn Stringer - I was the head TD in that event but
working on pairings when I noticed Suttles was there and that Lynn was
getting Spraggett and Lesiege together for the photo.

Ironically FIDE joined me and Lynn in another way by messing up and on
FIDE.COM showing her as male and me as female. While I've been
national secretary of the Chess Federation of Canada for 15 years my
only other direct dealing with FIDE was when they kept GM Abe Yanofsky
(who I knew from my 4 years living in Winnipeg in the 80s) on the IA
list 2-3 years after his passing - it seems FIDE knew he was a GM and
marked him deceased immiediately on his passing but had forgotten he
was also an International Arbiter.

(The chess community in Winnipeg is fairly small but no question he
really helped them during his lifetime)

Anyhow enough reminiscing.....though one of my few regrets in chess
was obeying my parents when they insisting I stay home from
Fischer-Taimanov since it was at the University of BC campus and a 90
minute bus ride each way. They felt at 14 that was too long a ride for
a kid on his own though 4 months later they were fine with me playing
in the aforementioned Canadian Open on the same campus where I met
Euwe and Spassky (and where years later I graduated)...

Ken Blake

Apr 12, 2023, 12:36:39 PM4/12/23
On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:24:41 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 13:14:28 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I remember once resigning in an even (or almost-even) position against
>>soneone who went on to become World's Champion (Bobby Fischer, in the
>>1956 US Junior championship). I thought I had to lose a piece, and I
>>completely missed the saving move. We were around the same rating
>>then. And I wasn't in time trouble. I'm still ashamed of myself. That
>>final position, 67 years later, is still indelibly engraved on my
>>mind.
>
>I never played more than 1 or 2 future IMs and GMs but at the 1971

I played many. Besides Fischer, the following names come to mind:
Lombardy (he was a good friend of mine). Mednis, Bisguier, Sherwin,
Robert Byrne, Al Horowitz. Probably many others who I didn't think of.

>Canadian Open I was in a position a protected passed pawn up against a
>player about 250 pts above me (easy win right?) and got greedy and
>played Bxh7 immediately followed by g6 of course and while I ended up
>with 3p's for the B wasn't enough to draw.
>
>When he played g6 I cupped my head in my hands, looked up and saw a
>very distinguished player watching my game, and when I blundered
>noticed he had seen my immediate reaction shook his head and sadly
>walked away.
>
>10 minutes later I walked up to the front and realized this was World
>Champion Boris Spassky and ever since I've wondered if the following
>year in Reyjavik when Fischer played Bxa2 in game one if Spassky
>remembered that disconsolate teenage in Vancouver the previous year
>(in pretty much the same position with colors reversed)
>
>I cannot make up stuff like this. :)
>
>Along the way I also met Paul Keres (got him to autograph his ending
>book for me), Max Euwe (we were making too much noise in the skittles

I never met Keres, but I played against Euwe once in a simultaneous he
gave at the Manhattan Chess clus (around 1957).I drew.

The Horny Goat

Apr 13, 2023, 5:30:57 AM4/13/23
On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:36:35 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:24:41 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 13:14:28 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>I played many. Besides Fischer, the following names come to mind:
>Lombardy (he was a good friend of mine). Mednis, Bisguier, Sherwin,
>Robert Byrne, Al Horowitz. Probably many others who I didn't think of.

While I have books by all of them except Bisguier and Sherwin I never
met any of them - but then I'm on the west coast of Canada and most of
them are easterners.

>>Along the way I also met Paul Keres (got him to autograph his ending
>>book for me), Max Euwe (we were making too much noise in the skittles

Again with Euwe it was the 1971 Canadian Open (the FIDE Congress was
going on in another building on campus and we were making too much
noise in the skittles room for his liking "Gentlemen this is a CHESS
tournament!!!" (his exact words) Me? I was just a 14 year old future
IA.

>I never met Keres, but I played against Euwe once in a simultaneous he
>gave at the Manhattan Chess clus (around 1957).I drew.

I played against future IMs but Biyiasas was the only future GM I
played. We were teenagers at the time.

>>Ironically FIDE joined me and Lynn in another way by messing up and on
>>FIDE.COM showing her as male and me as female. While I've been
>>national secretary of the Chess Federation of Canada for 15 years my
>>only other direct dealing with FIDE was when they kept GM Abe Yanofsky
>>(who I knew from my 4 years living in Winnipeg in the 80s) on the IA
>>list 2-3 years after his passing - it seems FIDE knew he was a GM and
>>marked him deceased immiediately on his passing but had forgotten he
>>was also an International Arbiter.

Incidentally I failed to mention that the recently late Lynn Stringer
was definitely female, never about B strength yet organized and ran
far more tournaments than I did (and my count is in 3 figures). I'd be
astonished if the Victoria, BC players don't organize a Stringer
memorial during the next 12 months.

I can guarantee every Canadian GM and IM knows who she was as does the
entire Chess Federation of Canada executive.

Ken Blake

Apr 13, 2023, 11:48:47 AM4/13/23
On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 02:30:54 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:36:35 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:24:41 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 13:14:28 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>I played many. Besides Fischer, the following names come to mind:
>>Lombardy (he was a good friend of mine). Mednis, Bisguier, Sherwin,
>>Robert Byrne, Al Horowitz. Probably many others who I didn't think of.
>
>While I have books by all of them except Bisguier and Sherwin I never

I used to have a lot, but I have almost no chess books left these
days. There were all old and nearly obsolete, and I wasn't playing any
more, so I gave them away when I retired, downsized, and moved away
from NY. The only modern chess book I have is "Blindfold Chess" by
Eliot Hearst; I had helped him with some of the technical aspects of
it (fonts for board diagrams, scanning photos, etc.), so he gave me a
copy when it was published a few years ago

>met any of them - but then I'm on the west coast of Canada and most of
>them are easterners.

Yes, New Yorkers, as I was then. I met them all either at the
Manhattan or Marshall Chess Clubs. I was a member of both.

The Horny Goat

Apr 15, 2023, 1:56:33 PM4/15/23
On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 08:48:42 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>>>I played many. Besides Fischer, the following names come to mind:
>>>Lombardy (he was a good friend of mine). Mednis, Bisguier, Sherwin,
>>>Robert Byrne, Al Horowitz. Probably many others who I didn't think of.
>>
>>While I have books by all of them except Bisguier and Sherwin I never
>
>I used to have a lot, but I have almost no chess books left these
>days. There were all old and nearly obsolete, and I wasn't playing any
>more, so I gave them away when I retired, downsized, and moved away
>from NY. The only modern chess book I have is "Blindfold Chess" by
>Eliot Hearst; I had helped him with some of the technical aspects of
>it (fonts for board diagrams, scanning photos, etc.), so he gave me a
>copy when it was published a few years ago

I have gotten rid of very few of the 300+ books in my collection (I do
have a complete collection of Informants which I've been collecting
since my teens). This past week I discovered a box of books at the
foot of my bed (turned out my daughter had been cleaning in the spare
bedroom) which I had forgottten I had but which included a first
edition of Fine's Basic Chess Endings.(rather smaller type than is
typical of books these days). Am having a lot of fun with that "new"
box!

>Yes, New Yorkers, as I was then. I met them all either at the
>Manhattan or Marshall Chess Clubs. I was a member of both.

Given my first ancestors in North America were it upstate NY it's
remarkable my only "trip" to NY was a 10 minute walkabout on the dock
of the Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls.

Eli Kesef

Jul 30, 2023, 12:46:34 PM7/30/23
Bs"d

Got another one who refused to resign.

So I got myself a bishop and a horse, fed him my left over castle, and on move 93 the game began.

Because of the present state of my play I gave myself 80-90% chance of messing it up.

But, how amazing, 21 moves later, on move 114, he was mate. https://lichess.org/hJvQVLYn5Gw8

https://tinyurl.com/horse-bishop

Eli Kesef

Oct 4, 2023, 5:27:35 AM10/4/23
Bs"d

Got another one who was left with a bare king, while I had a queen, and two pawns who could easily queen. And he just didn't give up.
https://lichess.org/cj1is4YNnDaJ

So instead of just mating him, my pawns went to the other side and I didn't queen them, but one I horsed, and the other I bishopped.

Then I fed my queen to his king, and the game was on. I was lucky, the horse ended up right away in the right position. Something you have to maneuver it around to get it in the right position, and in the meanwhile the enemy king is running for the hills. But not this time, everything right right away.
And the enemy cooperated, he didn't run in the right direction, but went back, after which the horse drew him back into the fold.

So in only 24 moves the enemy was dead.

That'll teach him.

https://tinyurl.com/calm-win

Eli Kesef

Oct 8, 2023, 2:14:08 PM10/8/23
Bs"d

Got another one. He was left with a bare king against my three pawns, a horse, a castle, and a queen. And he fought on: https://lichess.org/ArAaoxzy3Avm

So except for my king, bishop, and horse, I fed all my material to the enemy king, and on move 61 I was left with king horse and bishop against his king.

On move 80 I mated him. I have a feeling I'm getting better at it.

Of course, that feeling could very well be wrong.

https://tinyurl.com/mat-horse-bishop
Message has been deleted

Eli Kesef

Nov 12, 2023, 1:43:36 AM11/12/23
Bs"d

And another who was left with a bare king against 4 pawns, horse, and castle, and had the audacity to play on. So I made it a bishop-horse ending.
34 moves to mate. That's normal.

The game lasted a nice round 100 moves: https://lichess.org/h17USc5B27dg

Eli Kesef

Nov 13, 2023, 1:39:02 PM11/13/23
Bs"d

So on move 70 white took my queen, which left me with horse and bishop against the lone king.

On move 102 the mate came. I was hoping on move 100, like the previous one, but alas, that was not to happen.

So this took me 33 moves to finish him off with horse and bishop.

This is why everybody should be proficient in the horse and bishop mate:

https://tinyurl.com/mat-horse-bishop

Eli Kesef

Dec 2, 2023, 5:19:19 PM12/2/23
Bs"d

Got another one of the "never say die" type. He was left with a bare king, and I was left with 4 pawns, 2 bishops, and 2 castles:
https://lichess.org/Ma4noXJBNOUp

And he fought on, trying to mate me.

So I horsed a pawn, started feeding all my material to his king, except for my king, a horse and a bishop.

That process was completed on move 60, and then started the process of mating with horse and bishop. That was finished on move 80.

https://tinyurl.com/GM-horse-bis

Eli Kesef

Dec 15, 2023, 5:08:10 AM12/15/23
Bs"d

And yet another one who when he was 12 points behind in material, didn't want to resign, and fought on to the bitter end: https://lichess.org/Djrb8erazPj4

So as usual, I got myself a horse and a bishop, let all the rest be consumed by the enemy king, and on move 58 I had arrived at the sought after position, K+B+N against his bare king.

24 moves later, on move 82, the enemy was mated. That could have been on move 80, because I wasted 2 moves. On move 72 I should have played a waiting move with the bishop. In stead I played my king, and the following move I had to play my king back in order not to let the enemy king escape. Those were 2 wasted moves. After that I did play the waiting move with my bishop, the enemy was driven into the mating corner, and that was that.

https://tinyurl.com/Kostenj-B-H

Eli Kesef

Dec 15, 2023, 5:24:09 AM12/15/23
Bs"d

It is not so simple to checkmate with horse and bishop. Here we see a 2630 GM blundering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Dl-99Oaf8
He let the enemy king escape. However, him being a 2630 GM, he got it done anyway. On the 50th move exactly. :D One more move and it would have been a draw.

https://tinyurl.com/GM-horse-bis

Eli Kesef

Dec 15, 2023, 5:33:04 AM12/15/23
Bs"d

Here we see another GM having a hard time of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY1jG04NOyc

He is 2700+, and his head sinks on the table when he sees that he has to deliver a horse-bishop checkmate.

Once he gets started he finishes the job quickly and cleanly, only he doesn't checkmate in the corner like I do, but one square away from the corner.

A bit weird, but a mate is a mate. He got the job done.

https://tinyurl.com/Kostenj-B-H

Eli Kesef

Jan 9, 2024, 7:47:36 PMJan 9
Bs"d

So here an 1800 didn't wanna say die: https://lichess.org/CxEjRdG8bDif so I gave him the bishop-horse treatment.

It's always a risk, I'm not always successful, but this one went very smooth, in 20 moves, which is really fast. Normal is about 35 moves.

He offered a bunch of draws, but I just mated him.
A job well done is a good feeling.

http://tinyurl.com/kill-with-H-B

Eli Kesef

Jan 23, 2024, 8:39:11 AMJan 23
Bs"d

Got another one who didn't wanna say die. I got him with horse and bishop: https://lichess.org/TNLb14G7ApmB

I took me 40 moves, because I made at one point a mistake with my horse, went to the wrong square, had to reposition him, that costed me a bunch of moves.

Still I got him, with 10 moves to spare. Not too bad.

https://tinyurl.com/Kostenj-B-H