Re: Arthur Feuerstein dies at 86.

Ken Blake

Feb 23, 2022, 11:07:51 AM2/23/22
On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:20:26 -0500, cru...@example.org wrote:

>Very sad. I knew him.
>
>Arthur Feuerstein, Chess Player With a Comeback Gambit, Dies at 86
>
>Once one of the country's best young players, he became a top player
>again after a car crash left him slipping in and out of consciousness.
>
>By Dylan Loeb McClain
>Feb. 22, 2022
>
>Arthur Feuerstein, who was once one of the best young chess players in
>the United States, even managing to hold his own against Bobby
>Fischer, and who survived a horrific head injury to once again become
>a top player, died on Feb. 2 in Mahwah, N.J. He was 86.
>
>His wife, Alice Feuerstein, said the cause was pancreatic and liver
>cancer.

Yes, very sad. I've known this for several days.

I also knew him, and played against him many times. But as far as I
know, after the car crash, although he still played, he was far from
being a top player. I never played against him again after the crash,
but another close friend of both of us did, and said he was much
weaker.

William Hyde

Feb 24, 2022, 6:05:55 PM2/24/22
I didn't know him at all, but I was in one tournament with him, the 1971 CNE open in Toronto,
an event with six grandmasters (back when there were only 100 in the world).

I was weak, and playing even weaker than that, so there was no chance
we would be paired. I seem to recall watching his game against a
local IM, probably Larry Day.

Benko and R Byrne won with scores of 6-0, ahead of Spassky who could
only draw with Day. Feuerstein wrote it up with a very complimentary
article in CL&R in which among other things he complimented Toronto on
having classical music on AM radio (no more, though it lasted another
twelve years or so).

Great player and a gentleman.

William Hyde

Ken Blake

Feb 25, 2022, 10:42:44 AM2/25/22
On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 15:05:54 -0800 (PST), William Hyde
<wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 11:07:51 AM UTC-5, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:20:26 -0500, cru...@example.org wrote:
>>
>> >Very sad. I knew him.
>> >
>> >Arthur Feuerstein, Chess Player With a Comeback Gambit, Dies at 86
>> >
>> >Once one of the country's best young players, he became a top player
>> >again after a car crash left him slipping in and out of consciousness.
>> >
>> >By Dylan Loeb McClain
>> >Feb. 22, 2022
>> >
>> >Arthur Feuerstein, who was once one of the best young chess players in
>> >the United States, even managing to hold his own against Bobby
>> >Fischer, and who survived a horrific head injury to once again become
>> >a top player, died on Feb. 2 in Mahwah, N.J. He was 86.
>> >
>> >His wife, Alice Feuerstein, said the cause was pancreatic and liver
>> >cancer.
>>

>> Yes, very sad. I've known this for several days.
>>
>> I also knew him, and played against him many times. But as far as I
>> know, after the car crash, although he still played, he was far from
>> being a top player. I never played against him again after the crash,
>> but another close friend of both of us did, and said he was much
>> weaker.
>
>I didn't know him at all, but I was in one tournament with him, the 1971 CNE open in Toronto,
>an event with six grandmasters (back when there were only 100 in the world).

I played against him many times. Oddly enough, although he was
considerably stronger than me, we almost always drew.