Macintosh Chess Software links page

Richard A. Fowell

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
If you or anyone you know is looking for Macintosh chess software, go to:
http://directory.mozilla.org/Games/Board_Games/Chess/Software/Macintosh

There are links there to over 40 Macintosh chess software packages, including:

Chess Chess Chess Internet
Playing Databases Tutorial Interface
HIARCS 7.0 ChessBase1.1 Chess Mentor Internet Chess for Macintosh
ChsMstr 4000 ExaChess Dr. Schiller Fixation
SigmaChess 4 BookUp Maurice Ashley PowerICS-Z
Crafty 16.3 SmartChess Chess Mates
MacChess 5.01 Essentia Mac Think Like a King
CheckMate

Richard A. Fowell (fow...@netcom.com)
http://members.aol.com/macchess/

Whatever happened to Think C

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99

Any suggestions for links to pages with source code for Mac chess
programs?

William Bryant

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
In <3764f9ff.1216929@news> obvio...@twotincanswithastring.com

(Whatever happened to Think C) writes:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:28:27 GMT, fow...@netcom.com (Richard A.
>Fowell) wrote:
>
>>If you or anyone you know is looking for Macintosh chess software, go
to:
>>http://directory.mozilla.org/Games/Board_Games/Chess/Software/Macinto
>>
>>There are links there to over 40 Macintosh chess software packages,
including:

>>Chess Chess Chess Internet
>>Playing Databases Tutorial Interface
>>HIARCS 7.0 ChessBase1.1 Chess Mentor Internet Chess for
Macintosh
>>ChsMstr 4000 ExaChess Dr. Schiller Fixation
>>SigmaChess 4 BookUp Maurice Ashley PowerICS-Z
>>Crafty 16.3 SmartChess Chess Mates
>>MacChess 5.01 Essentia Mac Think Like a King
>>CheckMate
>>
>>Richard A. Fowell (fow...@netcom.com)
>>http://members.aol.com/macchess/
>
>Any suggestions for links to pages with source code for Mac chess
>programs?

There is a list of freeware/shareware chess engines available over the
internet at Gambitsoft, many of which also offer the source code, and
some of which are Mac-Centric.
http://www.gambitsoft.com

The newer G3 processors are excellent for chess programming because of
thier interger math support. Chess programs are interger based.

For a beginner, I would recommend Tom's Simple Chess Program. It is
written in ANSI C and provides all the basics for chess programming
without getting beginners lost in the details. I wrote a powerplant
based Macintosh interface which may also be at Tom's site (MacTSCP).
His web address should be on the list.

For chess programming, go to the Computer Chess Club at
http://www.icdchess.com/ccc. It is a free site, but moderated, and you
must register with a valid email address.

Finally,
I am currently using my interface for my own chess engine, Screamer.
The latest version is rated at approximately 2280 based on the LCTII
tests. It is fully compatable with the upcomming Exachess 2.0
interface standard. If you would like to try it, email me. The binary
is available in PPC601, PPC750(G3), and even for 68K (but very slow).

William Bryant

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
In <3764f9ff.1216929@news> obvio...@twotincanswithastring.com
(Whatever happened to Think C) writes:

>Any suggestions for links to pages with source code for Mac chess
>programs?

At the GambitSoft site there is a list of freeware/shareware computer
programs, many include source code, some are Mac-centric.
http://www.gambitsoft.com

For beginners, I recommend Tom's Simple Chess Program (TSCP) which is
in ansi-C and has all the basics without getting you lost in complex
details. I wrote a simple powerplant graphical interface which may be
at Toms's site (MacTSCP). I am now using the interface for my own
chess engine -- Screamer.

Tom's Site is on the gambitsoft list.

Finally, the Computer Chess Club is an excellent resource for anyone
wanting to venture into the world of chess programming. The new G3
processors are an excellent choice because of their integer support. A

chess program is nothing but integer based math.

Finally,
If you would like to try my program which is in the beta stages, email
me and I will send you a copy. (Compiled for PPC601, PPC 750(G3) and
even for 68K machines but runs slowly). The last version is
approximately 2280 strength based upon LCTII tests and is compatible
with the upcomming ExaChess 2.0 engine interface.

William
wbr...@ix.netcom.com