Let's stop wasting time on Vincent Diepeveen

Dap Hartmann

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

To all serious people in this newsgroup,

Let's face it, Vincent Diepeveen is a complete MORON.
I hate saying this (well, actually, I don't) but it's too bad the
time has come that I have ro speak up. It's just TOO annoying.
The guy has an ego the size of a Texas, and the social
skills of a 4-year old. He is, in fact, slightly older, although
there aren''t too many facts to prove that.

He has been A MAJOR pain in the ass, ever since he decided
to set foot in the computer chess world. When first participating
in the annual Dutch Computer Chess Championship, he managed
to annoy *so* many people that serious enquiries were made
whether or not he could be throw out of the tournament.
For a lot of people he has *really* taken the fun out of that
tournament. But apparently, that's not enough.

His latest 'accomplishments' are launching the most outrageous
innuendo against the CilkChess team (who won the last
edition of the Dutch CCC), and boasting that Diep
(which, in case you didn't know, is Dutch for 'deep') is the best
program in the world. Funny, how he came in somewhere in the
middle of the pack, and not dead first.

But never mind that. He himself claims in a recent posting:
"(Thanks, if you email me the chance you get a reply i quite huge.
If you just post in RGCCC, and i miss article ( i cannot read all
crap, sorry), after a week it is deleted on the University, so i
cannot read it anymore, and never will know there was an article
someone wanted me to respond on.)"

What is that RPN grammar, or what?
Not only should he have paid a little more attention during English
classes in highschool (mind you, he has had 6 years of English, but
noone would ever know if only he would keep his big mouth shut)
he also thinks that *other* people's postings might be a waste of
*his* time. I mean: what else is there left for him to do, after
writing the best chess program on the planet ...

So, I suggest we stop wasting our time, declare him an incorrigible
idiiot, and get on with more important issues in this group.

dap hartmann

Peter W. Gillgasch

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Dap Hartmann <d...@abitibi.harvard.edu> wrote:

> To all serious people in this newsgroup,
>
> Let's face it, Vincent Diepeveen is a complete MORON.

[ interesting rantings and ravings deleted for brevity ]

> So, I suggest we stop wasting our time, declare him an incorrigible
> idiiot, and get on with more important issues in this group.
>
> dap hartmann

Tap, eh, Dap,

you may be right, you may be wrong...

A casual observer maybe doesn't know you and will conclude that you are
just another moron who drops into this and flames poor Vincent.

I haven't seen a meaningful post by you for ages (JPEGs of Kasparov, FHH
and Deep Blue don't count) :)

I am sure you could have made a much better contribution :) In any case
I am subscribing to that mailing list now, you guys seem to be really
amusing 8^)

-- Peter

Ignore the voices
Discard the day
For the brand new darkness,
For the bright new way

Mic de Dik

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

d...@abitibi.harvard.edu (Dap Hartmann) wrote:

>To all serious people in this newsgroup,

[snip]

> ... and boasting that Diep

>(which, in case you didn't know, is Dutch for 'deep')

What does DAP mean, Dap?

laag ]-( hoor

Issie echt zo erg, die diep?

Ed Schroder

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Nee, Vincent valt best mee...

- Ed -

brucemo

Jan 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/24/97

Dap Hartmann wrote:

[pithy statements about Mr. Diepeveen snipped :-)]

> So, I suggest we stop wasting our time, declare him an incorrigible
> idiiot, and get on with more important issues in this group.

I've never been in the same tournament with Mr. Diepeveen, so I
haven't had cause to go on quite like this, but I think I have at
least some understanding of how someone could feel this way about
him.

Anyway, I'm satisfied with the progress in my "unsubstantiated claim"
thread. I've asked Mr. Diepeveen to provide evidence to substantiate
his claim to be the best analysis program. He's promised to provide
WAC info, which he hasn't done, and he hasn't provided any specific
Nolot information other than for one position, but he did post an
interesting position in his web page (Gipslis vs Sveshnikov).

I think at the very least he's written an interesting program. I
don't want to hear how great it is, and by implication how stupid
everyone else is, but I wouldn't mind hearing about how it works, and
seeing more test positions.

bruce

mclane

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

d...@abitibi.harvard.edu (Dap Hartmann) wrote:

>To all serious people in this newsgroup,

I am not sure if I am a serious guy, but I appreciate your comments on
Vincent because I really don't understand him, and not understanding
something is not satisfying me.

>Let's face it, Vincent Diepeveen is a complete MORON.

>I hate saying this (well, actually, I don't) but it's too bad the
>time has come that I have ro speak up. It's just TOO annoying.
>The guy has an ego the size of a Texas, and the social
>skills of a 4-year old. He is, in fact, slightly older, although
>there aren''t too many facts to prove that.

Sounds like a motherson !! :-)

>He has been A MAJOR pain in the ass, ever since he decided
>to set foot in the computer chess world. When first participating
>in the annual Dutch Computer Chess Championship, he managed
>to annoy *so* many people that serious enquiries were made
>whether or not he could be throw out of the tournament.

Aha!

>For a lot of people he has *really* taken the fun out of that
>tournament. But apparently, that's not enough.

Not ?

>His latest 'accomplishments' are launching the most outrageous
>innuendo against the CilkChess team (who won the last
>edition of the Dutch CCC), and boasting that Diep
>(which, in case you didn't know, is Dutch for 'deep') is the best
>program in the world. Funny, how he came in somewhere in the
>middle of the pack, and not dead first.

Funny !

>But never mind that. He himself claims in a recent posting:
>"(Thanks, if you email me the chance you get a reply i quite huge.
> If you just post in RGCCC, and i miss article ( i cannot read all
> crap, sorry), after a week it is deleted on the University, so i
> cannot read it anymore, and never will know there was an article
> someone wanted me to respond on.)"

>What is that RPN grammar, or what?
>Not only should he have paid a little more attention during English
>classes in highschool (mind you, he has had 6 years of English, but
>noone would ever know if only he would keep his big mouth shut)
>he also thinks that *other* people's postings might be a waste of
>*his* time. I mean: what else is there left for him to do, after
>writing the best chess program on the planet ...

Looking in a mirror is also always very nice for narcists.

>So, I suggest we stop wasting our time, declare him an incorrigible
>idiiot, and get on with more important issues in this group.

>dap hartmann

Thanks. BTW: how is your program doing ?
I will just look into the postings from the last dutch-tournament to
see how it has played....

mclane

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

FWI...@DATAWEB.NL (Mic de Dik) wrote:

>d...@abitibi.harvard.edu (Dap Hartmann) wrote:

>>To all serious people in this newsgroup,

>[snip]

>> ... and boasting that Diep

>>(which, in case you didn't know, is Dutch for 'deep')

>What does DAP mean, Dap?

>laag ]-( hoor

>Issie echt zo erg, die diep?

Can somebody translate this to a german reader , or an english one ?!

Chris Whittington

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

http://www.demon.co.uk/oxford-soft

mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de> wrote in article
<E4KLE...@news.prima.ruhr.de>...

Maybe he should desist from trying to read too much into other peoples
names.

Mic de Dik has loadsa potential for our amusement :)

Chris Whittington

Dap Hartmann

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>d...@abitibi.harvard.edu (Dap Hartmann) wrote:

>>Let's face it, Vincent Diepeveen is a complete MORON.
>>I hate saying this (well, actually, I don't) but it's too bad the
>>time has come that I have ro speak up. It's just TOO annoying.
>>The guy has an ego the size of a Texas, and the social
>>skills of a 4-year old. He is, in fact, slightly older, although
>>there aren''t too many facts to prove that.

>Sounds like a motherson !! :-)

Yes. Do you know the last song on "Sheik Yerbouti" ?
Very much like that.

>Thanks. BTW: how is your program doing ?
>I will just look into the postings from the last dutch-tournament to
>see how it has played....

I don't remember -- I wasn't there, but I think we ended up in the
middle of the pack -- beating Diep with tie-break points.
But that's not the issue.. The real issue is, whether or
not someone is an incredible pain in the ass. It doesn't
matter wether you come in first, or last. I know people who
come in first in the Dutch tournament, and they are very
amiable nive people; I know people who come in last, for may
years in a row, and *they* are nice people too.
The point is -- and it's hard to resist going inio the Homer Simpson
mode here (if anyone recalls *that* particulat episode, where HS says:
"I forgor that *too*", after first forgetting the point about "the
guy who " ..., well, never mind) that Everyone at the Duch Computer
Chess Championship used to had a *great* time, until
DickHead came along (anyone remember the Ghostbusters quote?).
I have onvce described the guys as 'cuntface', in an email that
wasn't intended to be read by the general public (it was one of these
unfortunate situations in which you do a 'reply' to an email from a
friend, only to discover that his email came from a mailing list --
and not directly. So, ever since, people know what I think
about VD (another high ridicule potention, Chris -- and I have
already exploited that on the Dutch cc mailing list; just too good
an opportunity too pass at ), and I won't ever deny it.
It's pretty CRUEL to call names the way I'm doing, but
please believe me, it's NOTHING compared to the evil it
relates to. If napalm were legal, I'd rather use that. Alas, words
will have to suffice for the moment.

Please feel free to flame me whenever you want.
I'm not such a darling myself.

dap

lensp...@aol.com

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

In article <32ec1...@cfanews.harvard.edu>, d...@abitibi.harvard.edu (Dap
Hartmann) writes:

>It's pretty CRUEL to call names the way I'm doing, but
>please believe me, it's NOTHING compared to the evil it
>relates to. If napalm were legal, I'd rather use that. Alas, words
>will have to suffice for the moment.
>
>Please feel free to flame me whenever you want.
>I'm not such a darling myself.

I can relate to that last comment, I've faced a few torches myself. It's
too bad I have to wade through posts from people like Vincent D. and Rolf
T. just to find the good information that most of us are here for to begin
with. Maybe we could send them over to a new group,
rec.games.chess.computer.bs or something like that. dB^)

Chris Whittington

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

http://www.demon.co.uk/oxford-soft

Dap Hartmann <d...@abitibi.harvard.edu> wrote in article
<32ec1...@cfanews.harvard.edu>...

VD gives you the Droop, doesn't it ? :)

Chris Whittington

Komputer Korner

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

brucemo wrote:

> Dap Hartmann wrote:
>
> [pithy statements about Mr. Diepeveen snipped :-)]
>
> > So, I suggest we stop wasting our time, declare him an incorrigible
> > idiiot, and get on with more important issues in this group.
>
> I've never been in the same tournament with Mr. Diepeveen, so I
> haven't had cause to go on quite like this, but I think I have at
> least some understanding of how someone could feel this way about
> him.
>
> Anyway, I'm satisfied with the progress in my "unsubstantiated claim"
> thread. I've asked Mr. Diepeveen to provide evidence to substantiate
> his claim to be the best analysis program. He's promised to provide
> WAC info, which he hasn't done, and he hasn't provided any specific
> Nolot information other than for one position, but he did post an
> interesting position in his web page (Gipslis vs Sveshnikov).
>
> I think at the very least he's written an interesting program. I
> don't want to hear how great it is, and by implication how stupid
> everyone else is, but I wouldn't mind hearing about how it works, and
> seeing more test positions.
>
> bruce

The upcoming Korrespondence Kup should shed some light on this
thorny question.
--
Komputer Korner
The komputer that kouldn't keep a password safe from

Vincent Diepeveen

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

In <32F68B...@netcom.ca> Komputer Korner <kor...@netcom.ca> writes:

>brucemo wrote:
>>
>> Dap Hartmann wrote:
>>
>> [pithy statements about Mr. Diepeveen snipped :-)]
>>
>> > So, I suggest we stop wasting our time, declare him an incorrigible
>> > idiiot, and get on with more important issues in this group.
>>
>> I've never been in the same tournament with Mr. Diepeveen, so I
>> haven't had cause to go on quite like this, but I think I have at
>> least some understanding of how someone could feel this way about
>> him.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm satisfied with the progress in my "unsubstantiated claim"
>> thread. I've asked Mr. Diepeveen to provide evidence to substantiate
>> his claim to be the best analysis program.

He's promised to provide
>> WAC info, which he hasn't done, and he hasn't provided any specific

I put some info on my homepage last
Monday like i promised.

>> Nolot information other than for one position, but he did post an
>> interesting position in his web page (Gipslis vs Sveshnikov).
>>
>> I think at the very least he's written an interesting program. I
>> don't want to hear how great it is, and by implication how stupid
>> everyone else is, but I wouldn't mind hearing about how it works, and
>> seeing more test positions.
>>
>> bruce
>
>The upcoming Korrespondence Kup should shed some light on this
>thorny question.

I didn't claim anything about winning games, but this tournament definitely
will be interesting to watch.

Diep of course supports autoplayer, so if anyone has 2 MMX computers, and
it prepared to let them search next 2 months just for 1 game, then this would
be interesting.

Vincent

| Vincent Diepeveen email: vdie...@cs.ruu.nl |
| http://www.students.cs.ruu.nl/~vdiepeve/ |