Help with WAC test suite

William Bryant

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
I have the FEN positions for the 300 position WAC test suite but not
the instructions. I think each test position is run at 10 seconds a
move. Is this correct?

William
wbr...@ix.netcom.com

Jeremiah Penery

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
It doesn't really matter how long you run them. I think Bob Hyatt tests
Crafty at 30 sec/move on it. There are a few problems (#100, 141, 230,
and maybe a couple others) that are very difficult to get even at longer
times (1 or 2 minutes).

bruce moreland

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
On 3 May 1999 15:10:23 GMT, wbr...@ix.netcom.com(William Bryant)
wrote:

>I have the FEN positions for the 300 position WAC test suite but not
>the instructions. I think each test position is run at 10 seconds a
>move. Is this correct?
>
>William
>wbr...@ix.netcom.com

No set time limit on this one. WAC is just a book called "Win at
Chess", written by Fred Reinfeld, published in 1945, for the benefit
of humans who want to practice their tactics.

You can run it however long you want. Most programs will get almost
all of them when run for a minute, and not too many less when run for
even a few seconds.

It is not a particularly challenging test suite. If you want a harder
one, try ECM. That's 879 positions. There are some cooks, but there
are a lot of fairly hard positions, too, which require quite a bit of
time to solve.

With WAC, you'll reach a point where you solve 297 or so, then you'll
get stuck there and not solve any more. With ECM, you should get
550-650 in 20 seconds on a decent machine, and if you let it search
longer you'll get more, and I haven't found a plateau yet.

bruce

Andrew Williams

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Jeremiah Penery (fl...@lords.com) wrote:
: It doesn't really matter how long you run them. I think Bob Hyatt tests

: Crafty at 30 sec/move on it. There are a few problems (#100, 141, 230,
: and maybe a couple others) that are very difficult to get even at longer
: times (1 or 2 minutes).

: William Bryant wrote:
: >
: > I have the FEN positions for the 300 position WAC test suite but not
: > the instructions. I think each test position is run at 10 seconds a
: > move. Is this correct?
: >
: > William
: > wbr...@ix.netcom.com

When testing my program, I run the suite at 1 second, 5 seconds or 60 seconds,
depending on how much time I want to wait.

A typical result for PostModernist (2500-ish on ICC) would be:

1 second : 230 correct
5 seconds: 250 correct
60 seconds: 280 correct

Hope this is helpful/interesting.