Combat Chess / Genius 5 /German Pricelist

MBecker880

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

I just got a copy of Empire's Combat Chess. (Don't blame me for that ;:} ).
It's like
the classic Battle Chess but with new great looking grafics & animations. As
stated in the manual, the Programm useses a Chess Engine from a World
Championship Programm Author, but didn't say from which Guy. So here's my
question:

Who has written the Combat Chess Engine?
How good is this Engine compared to others?

As I only has played 3 Games against it, it seems to play like an Richard Lang
Programm.

In Germay has the new Mephisto Genius 98 been released. It features the Pro-
gramm Chess Genius 5 by R. Lang and the Mephisto Schach Akademie which
is to my information Part 1 of the Tasc Chess Tutor. It's very low priced about
90 DM. Following the German Price Information on particular Programs, for Per-
sons who find it usefull: (by the way I am not related in any Software selling
business)

1.) Fritz 5.0 ---> 130 DM ----> Softsale
2.) Csystem Tal -----> 70 DM------>Karstadt
3.) Combat Chess---->90 DM------>Karstadt, Saturn
3.) Mephisto Genius 98------> 90 DM-----> Saturn
4.) Virtual Chess Platinum----> 50 DM----> Karstadt

Seifriz

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

MBecker880 wrote:

> I just got a copy of Empire's Combat Chess. (Don't blame me for that ;:} ).
> It's like
> the classic Battle Chess but with new great looking grafics & animations. As
> stated in the manual, the Programm useses a Chess Engine from a World
> Championship Programm Author, but didn't say from which Guy. So here's my
> question:
>
> Who has written the Combat Chess Engine?

It is an old REBEL!!!

> How good is this Engine compared to others?

How should ANYBODY know when the program is 5 days old???????

> As I only has played 3 Games against it, it seems to play like an Richard Lang
> Programm.
>
> In Germay has the new Mephisto Genius 98 been released. It features the Pro-
> gramm Chess Genius 5 by R. Lang and the Mephisto Schach Akademie which
> is to my information Part 1 of the Tasc Chess Tutor. It's very low priced about
> 90 DM. Following the German Price Information on particular Programs, for Per-
> sons who find it usefull: (by the way I am not related in any Software selling
> business)
>
> 1.) Fritz 5.0 ---> 130 DM ----> Softsale
> 2.) Csystem Tal -----> 70 DM------>Karstadt
> 3.) Combat Chess---->90 DM------>Karstadt, Saturn
> 3.) Mephisto Genius 98------> 90 DM-----> Saturn
> 4.) Virtual Chess Platinum----> 50 DM----> Karstadt

You only forget to mention that Mephisto Genius 98
is NOT the full version of Genius 5.
Whereas the Genius Gold collection which is more expensive
and NOT at Saturn contains ALL versions Genius 1-5!!!
And you may remember that last year an old Genius 3.5 came into
the department stores just exactly at the same time when chess
shops sold GENIUS 5!!!
The department stores are a good place to bring old versions
with new names. I could give you some more examples easily!

Same with VIRTUAL PLATINUM! In the next 2 weeks or so
you will see Virtual Chess 2, which was 2nd in Paris, whereas
Platinum is from April!!
And you forget that Saturn and Karstadt are not sending
anything to new York or Rio de Janeiro!!! Go to a German post office
and have a look what that costs!!
Bert/ gambitsoft.com

Philippe Jonckheere

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

>MBecker880 wrote:

>> 1.) Fritz 5.0 ---> 130 DM ----> Softsale
>> 2.) Csystem Tal -----> 70 DM------>Karstadt
>> 3.) Combat Chess---->90 DM------>Karstadt, Saturn
>> 3.) Mephisto Genius 98------> 90 DM-----> Saturn
>> 4.) Virtual Chess Platinum----> 50 DM----> Karstadt

Does Fritz 5 cost 130 DM only in Germany ? Man, I'm going to buy it there,
then !

Regards,

Philippe

Alastair Scott

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Philippe Jonckheere <philippe....@infoboard.be> wrote in article
<65fpne$s...@news3.euro.net>...

Even better - Chess System Tal is 24 UK pounds in Germany and 30 UK pounds
in the United Kingdom! I knew the exchange rate was favourable at 1 UK
pound = DM 2.93, but things are getting a bit out of hand if UK products
are cheaper in Germany than in the UK ...

As for Fritz 5, it's half the price !!! in Germany (45 UK pounds there, 90
here).

There are continual grumblings here about prices being marked up between
the USA and the UK; from this I think the grumblers should look closer to
home. [Also, in the UK, chess programs are difficult to find in 'chain
stores'; I haven't looked for a long time, but last time I looked CM5000
was easy to find yet its then main competitors Virtual Chess and Power
Chess were virtually impossible to get].

Alastair

MBecker880

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

> You only forget to mention that Mephisto Genius 98
>is NOT the full version of Genius 5.
>Whereas the Genius Gold collection which is more expensive
>and NOT at Saturn contains ALL versions Genius 1-5!!!
>And you may remember that last year an old Genius 3.5 came into
>the department stores just exactly at the same time when chess
>shops sold GENIUS 5!!!
>The department stores are a good place to bring old versions
>with new names. I could give you some more examples easily!
>Same with VIRTUAL PLATINUM! In the next 2 weeks or so
>you will see Virtual Chess 2, which was 2nd in Paris, whereas
>Platinum is from April!!
>And you forget that Saturn and Karstadt are not sending
>anything to new York or Rio de Janeiro!!! Go to a German post office
>and have a look what that costs!!
>Bert/ gambitsoft.com
>
>So, sadly I maked some mistakes:

1.) Mephisto 98 are not equal to Genius 5. My wrong conclusion
about that, based on the fact that the Retail Box of this Pro-
gram shows Genius 5 screen shots!
2.) Of course, can you obtain new stuff only from qualified dealers
and not from department stores. But on the other
hand do you really need always the last version??
3.) You said Combat Chess uses an old Rebel Engine, but you
can't tell how strong it is, since it's only 5 days old? I guess
you mean you don't know how much the grafics slows the
calculation of moves down and there for the ELO rating, right?
4.) About Pricelist: I can surely admit your point of view, but
this was just a compilation of the cheapest prices on the
market. Of course at these prices you won't get any Support!

The strengh of dealers like yours (GAMBITSOFT) are:
1.) Support ---> which no department Store can provide
2.) An Internet Section---> which provides Updates etc
3.) The latest News about Chess
4.) Lightning fast delivery
and many more

This all together makes A LOT OF WORK, which you should consider befor your
next buy.

Mfg
Michael

Wolfgang Krietsch

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:28:05 +0100, Seifriz <sei...@gambitsoft.com> wrote:

> You only forget to mention that Mephisto Genius 98
>is NOT the full version of Genius 5.

Can you tell what's the difference? And how much is the Gold Collection?

Ciao,
Wolfgang

Keine Werbung - NO SPAM!
Finger me for my PGP-Key!
39 0A ED A8 83 A7 29 0C FA 48 22 54 83 0F CF 96