Phalanx III - chess playing program for Linux

Dusan Dobes

Jul 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/8/97

... C sources available at
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/strategy/phalanx-3.tar.gz
(and mirrors)

Licensing policy is GPL

Dusan Dobes
xe...@econ.muni.cz

Tom Kerrigan

Jul 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/8/97

Could somebody post a quick review of this program? I.e., what sort of
move generator, piece list, etc.

Cheers,
Tom

Dusan Dobes (do...@bart1.math.muni.cz) wrote:
: ... C sources available at

Dusan Dobes

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

Tom Kerrigan (kerr...@deimos.frii.com) wrote:
: Could somebody post a quick review of this program? I.e., what sort of

: move generator, piece list, etc.

Internal structure is "10x12". Phalanx uses iterative alphabeta with
null-move and forward (similar to GNU) pruning, hash table, static-eval
cache, modified history killers, .... No prescan - static evaluation is done
at terminal nodes. I'm trying to wite a 'slow thinker' with a lot of
chess-specific knowledge. You will find more in README.

This version scores 78% at large Reinfeld's 1001 test set (on a 486/150,
10s/move). It's the first version that proved to be able to beat Gnuchess
4.0pl75 in a match (26:24; 40 moves in 10 minutes via Xboard; 486/150).