KnightCap v1.8

Andrew Tridgell

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

I've just released KnightCap v1.8.

This one has a pile of bug fixes. Its play has improved
quite a lot in the last couple of days, mostly due to more
accurate evaluation.

KnightCap is tending now towards a slow/shallow searcher
with a fairly smart eval fn. I've also experimented with
selective searching with mixed results.

It still has no opening book or endgame tablebases, and often
suffers quite badly in openings, but its midgame play seems
reasonable. Against crafty on equal hardware with craftys
opening book disabled it got about 50% in some testing I did
last night (using xboard to arbitrate game-in-15 matches). I
suspect that luck helped a bit tho :-)

Source etc available from:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/KnightCap
ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/KnightCap

Cheers, Andrew

PS: I only started on KnightCap in February, so don't
expect a finely tuned chess monster!