Where is NEW Wchess??

Jouni Uski

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

There were promises about totally new version of Wchess already last
year, but where is it? Is Dave Kittinger working on it?

regards Jouni

Robert Hyatt

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Jouni Uski (Jouni...@nce.nokia.com) wrote:
: There were promises about totally new version of Wchess already last

: year, but where is it? Is Dave Kittinger working on it?
:
: regards Jouni

Visit ICC. I think it may be the best program around. It's playing
fairly evenly with Crafty, yet Crafty is on a P6/200 and WchessX is on
a P5/133. Pretty amazing, as I've said before...

Bob

Komputer Korner

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

It is in the new program Power Chess, which I am trying to hold up from
being released because of bugs that have not been corrected. I was the
beta tester.
--
Komputer Korner
The komputer that couldn't kompute the square root of

Moritz Berger

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Al,

did you test the engine of Power Chess and did you compare it to the older
Wchess 1.0x versions? I don't know if Dave Kittinger will completely give
up his old UI in favour of a "colourful" mass-market program that would
compete with CM 5000. In this case, he might hold back the Wchess-X engine
for another release of his "high-end" Wchess while selling the already very
strong old engine to be used in Power Chess. If Power Chess has a new
engine, I'm sure that all Wchess users will buy the new program! BTW: Do
you know anything about Power Chess' copy protection?
--
-------------
Moritz Berger

Komputer Korner <kor...@netcom.ca> schrieb im Beitrag
<326C27...@netcom.ca>...

Komputer Korner

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Moritz Berger wrote:

> Al,
>
> did you test the engine of Power Chess and did you compare it to the older
> Wchess 1.0x versions? I don't know if Dave Kittinger will completely give
> up his old UI in favour of a "colourful" mass-market program that would
> compete with CM 5000. In this case, he might hold back the Wchess-X engine
> for another release of his "high-end" Wchess while selling the already very
> strong old engine to be used in Power Chess. If Power Chess has a new
> engine, I'm sure that all Wchess users will buy the new program! BTW: Do
> you know anything about Power Chess' copy protection?
> --

No, I don't have the time to test strength when I am beta testing. I
played against it just to make sure that it can crush me and it certainly
did. For $39.95 I wouldn't worry what version Kittinger put in it. It
has bugs in the GUI and pgn export and position setup though. I am not
sure whether the company will correct these. It looks like another case
of rushing it out before XMAS. I don't know anything about the copy
protection other than it comes on a CDROM and is a full multi media
program that does not interfere with your system's audio drivers,
contrary to what CM5000 and Corel Chess do.