King's Indian Attack after 1. e4 e5?

Eduardo Suastegui

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

I am studing the KIA, and have seen that it can be played after 1. e4, if
Black chooses from the Sicilian, Caro-Kann, or French defense. However, I
am curious if a KIA proper may be played after Black's 1... e5. Any sample
games would be greatly appreciated.
--
esc...@aol.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~esuastegui

Najdorf

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

If you really want to play the KIA after black responds with e5, then you
should transpose by d3, Nd2, g3, Bg2, Nf3, 0-0

Alexander Baron

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

In article <01bc9f0c$cfcd6660$1613d9cf@ELN/esuastegui>
esc...@aol.com "Eduardo Suastegui" writes:

> I am studing the KIA, and have seen that it can be played after 1. e4, if
> Black chooses from the Sicilian, Caro-Kann, or French defense. However, I
> am curious if a KIA proper may be played after Black's 1... e5. Any sample
> games would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it may! A player at my club plays it. But here are a couple of recent
victories against the French and Caro-Kann.

Crystal Palace & Croydon Chess Club, Club Championship

June 30, 1997

Round 4

Black: Mark Staunton

King's Indian Attack v French Defence

1. P-K4 P-K3
2. P-Q3 P-Q4
3. N-Q2 P-QB4
4. P-KN3 P-QN3

I felt this was a very poor move but failed to exploit it. I'll
have to play another line against the French in addition to the
King's Indian Attack, probably the Advance Variation.

5. B-N2 B-N2
6. KN-B3 N-KB3
7. o-o

Inviting complications with 7...PXP, 8. N-N5

B-K2
8. P-K5 KN-Q2
9. R-K1 N-QB3
10. N-B1 Q-B2
11. B-B4 P-KR3
12. P-KR4 o-o-o
13. P-B3 QR-N1
14. Q-Q2 Q-Q1
15. P-R5 P-KN4
16. PXPep RXP
17. P-R3 B-N4
18. P-QN4

I wasn't the slightest bit concerned about his antics on the
kingside; he's got nothing, so I tried to open up the queenside.

R(1)-N1
19. BXB PXB

Closing the king's knight file, now he has absolutely nothing.

20. P-Q4 P-B5
21. P-R4 P-KN5
22. N-R4 R-N4
23. Q-B4 Q-K2
24. P-R5 P-N5

Not 24...PXP? 25. P-N5!

25. P-R6 B-R1
26. N-K3 N(3)-N1
27. R-R5 B-B3
28. N-B2 N-N3
29. Q-K3 N-R5
30. N-R3 Q-Q2

I didn't play the last few moves particularly well but I was in
time trouble - yet again. There's no doubt though that my posi-
tion is superior.

31. B-B1 K-B2
32. R-N1 K-Q1
33. B-K2 K-K2
34. B-Q1 N-N3
35. Q-B4 K-K1
36. N-B2

Adjourned.

Resumed July 7, 1997 with Black's sealed move

36... Q-B2

I'd analysed this position in considerable depth over the pre-
vious week, but I hadn't counted on him playing such a terrible
move.

37. N-K3 P-KB4
38. PXPep QXQ
39. PXQ

I didn't mind the tripled pawn at all because I planned on picking
off his king's knight's pawn, and because my knights have the
potential to become very strong.

40.... R-R4
41. N(4)-N2 R(1)-R1
42. K-B1 R-R8ch
42. K-K2fcd N-R5
43. RXN

This exchange sacrifice is virtually forced here, but I'd consid-
ered it during the preceding week; I'd also looked at a possible
exchange sacrifice for black on my KR4 but decided I had nothing
to worry about.

43... PXR
44. P-N5 B-Q2
45. NXNP K-B2

I hadn't realised but because my bishop is pinned he could have
caused severe problems for my by advancing his queen's rook's
pawn; fortunately he missed this entirely!

46. P-N6 PXP?
47. N-K5ch K-K1?

He should have played KXP losing a piece after P-R7 but even then
his position is hopeless.

48. P-R7 N-B3
49. P-R8=Qch BLACK RESIGNS

Club Championship

July 28, 1997:

Round 6

Black: Dave Fewkes

King's Indian Attack v Caro-Kann

This guy was graded 111 though the Club Secretary said he had been as high
as 160.

1. P-K4 P-QB3
2. P-Q3 P-Q4
3. N-Q2 P-K4
4. KN-B3 B-Q3
5. P-KN3 N-B3
6. B-N2 o-o
7. o-o P-KR3
8. R-K1 Q-B2
9. P-B3 B-N5
10. P-KR3 B-R4
11. Q-K2 QN-Q2
12. N-B1 PXP
13. PXP N-B4
14. P-KN4 B-N3
15. N-R4!?

The obvious move is KN-Q2 but I thought that was a retrograde
step and had this idea of a (spectacularly unsound) pawn sacri-
fice to whip up a kingside attack. These exchange variations
always cause me far more trouble (in the King's Indian Attack and
as Black in the King's Indian Defence/Modern Defence) than the
usual P-Q5 advance, particularly here because Black's Q4 square
cannot be occupied by a White Knight.

...BXP
16. P-N5 PXP
17. BXP BXB
18. BXN BXN?

BXP leaves White with nothing.

19. Q-N4! N-K3
20. KXB B-K2

He said after the game that he returned the pawn because he
wanted to get some breathing space; now all the play belongs to
White.

21. BXKP Q-R4
22. N-B5 Q-N4ch
23. P-B4 Q-B4
24. BXP B-N4

I thought I'd won after my 24th move but he was very resourceful.
Simpler would have been NXBch, QXN, BXP! winning at least the
exchange.

25. R-K5 Q-N5
26. P-R3 Q-Q7
28. BXR

This was obviously far from the best move but I was in serious
danger of losing on time so I grabbed the exchange simply to make
the requisite 30 moves.

...KXB
29. R-Q1 QXP
30. RXN Q-B7
31. R(6)-Q6 BLACK RESIGNS

He resigned after I beat the clock; he said he had thought I
might lose on time.

--
"He who does not bellow the truth when he knows the truth makes himself
the accomplice of liars and forgers." - Charles Peguy

york...@sympaticon.ca

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

On Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:59:56 +1000, Nick Nestorowycz
<nick...@labyrinth.net.au> wrote:

>From what I've read in the past and from logic, the KIA is not so
>effective against 1...e5 mainly due to White not having the option of
>pushing e4-e5 later. While it is certainly playable it seems to me to be
>a gutless plan and shows limited knowledge. Black equalizes easily after
>moves like d5, Bc5 etc., again because White does not have e5 at his/her
>disposal.

Dunnington's book on the KIA recommends that it be played against
French, Sicilian, etc.

He recommends that you ready something else against 1...e5.

Dave B.

*************************

To reply, remove the n from my email address.

jeff kish

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97

from what i read on the kia at least half all games start with 1.e4 and
the books act like you only go into the kia if black doesn't play 1.. e5
it seems that if you want to ply the kia as much as possible you may
want to consider 1.Nf3 instead
in atricle<hmeizea3...@marlow.demon.co.uk> monica vale wrote

>From what I've read in the past and from logic, the KIA is not so
>effective against 1...e5 mainly due to White not having the option of
>pushing e4-e5 later. While it is certainly playable it seems to me to be
>a gutless plan and shows limited knowledge. Black equalizes easily after
>moves like d5, Bc5 etc., again because White does not have e5 at his/her
>disposal.

There are a number of decent plans for Black with the French against the
Kings Indian Attack. One of the safest plans is for Black to play an
arly exchange with dxe4 , follow up with e5 and Bc5. If you run into 1
e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d3, then simply play the same plan with an extra
tempo.

There's also the option of a reverse Latvian ( 1.e4 e5 2 d3 Nf6 3 f4)
which can also arise from an Alekhine (1. e4 Nf6 2. d3 e5 3 f4 ) This
gets very sharp after 3 .. Bc5 because after 4 fxe5 Nxe4 is playable.
(5 dxe Qh4+ )

Here's some examples

The plan with dxe4 and e5 in the French Kings Indian

de Coverly,RD - Crouch,CS
Isle of Man (4), 1990

1.e4 e6 2.d3 d5 3.Nd2 Nc6 4.Ngf3 Nf6 5.g3 dxe4 6.dxe4 Bc5 7.Bg2 e5 8.0-0
a5 9.a4?! 0-0 10.Qe2 b6 11.c3 Ba6 12.Nc4 Qe7 13.Bg5 h6 14.Bxf6 Qxf6
15.Nfd2 Rad8 16.Rfd1 Rd7 17.Qf3 Qxf3 18.Bxf3 Rfd8 19.Kg2 Rd3 20.Rac1 Be7
21.h4 g5 22.Be2 Rxd2 23.Rxd2 Rxd2 24.Nxd2 Bxe2 25.Re1 Ba6 26.hxg5 hxg5
27.Kf3 Nb8 28.Kg4 Nd7 29.Nf3 f6 30.Kf5 Kf7 31.Rh1 Nf8 32.Kg4 Kg6 33.Nd2
Bc8+ 34.Kf3 Ne6 35.Nc4 Nc5 36.Ne3 Bb7 37.Nd5 Bxd5 38.exd5 Nxa4 39.Rb1 f5
40.Ke2 e4 41.Kd2 Kf6 42.b3 Nc5 43.b4 axb4 44.cxb4 Nd3 45.b5 Nxf2 46.Ke2
Ng4 47.Rc1 Bd6 0-1

Adams,JB - de Coverly,RD
Nat club plate sf, 1984

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d3 Nf6 4.g3 Bc5 5.Bg2 d5 6.Nbd2 dxe4 7.dxe4 0-0
8.0-0 a5 9.Qe2 b6 10.Nc4 Ba6 11.b3 Qe7 12.a4 Rad8 13.Bb2 Nd4 14.Nxd4
Bxd4 15.c3 Bc5 16.Rfe1 Qe6 17.Bf3 Rd6 18.Rad1 Rfd8 19.Rxd6 Rxd6 20.Rd1
h6 21.Rxd6 Bxd6 22.Bc1 Bxc4 23.Qxc4 Qxc4 24.bxc4 Nd7 25.Be3 Bc5 26.Bg4
Bxe3 27.Bxd7 Bd2 28.c5 Bxc3 1/2

The reversed Latvian

Turner,DJ - de Coverly,RD
Bucks League, 1988

1.e4 e5 2.d3 Nf6 3.f4 Bc5 4.fxe5 Nxe4 5.d4 Qh4+ 6.g3 Nxg3 7.Nf3 Qe4+
8.Be2 Nxh1 9.dxc5 Qb4+ 10.Nc3 Qxc5 11.Qd4 Qxd4 12.Nxd4 Nc6 13.Be3 Nxe5
14.Ndb5 Kd8 15.Nd5 c6 16.Ndc7 cxb5 17.Nxa8 b6 18.0-0-0 Bb7 19.Nxb6 axb6
20.Bxb6+ Kc8 21.Bxb5 Re8 22.a4 Bf3 23.Rf1 g5 24.a5 Kb7 25.Bd4 g4 26.a6+
Ka8 27.c3 h5 28.Kd2 h4 29.b4 g3 30.Bxe5 Rxe5 31.hxg3 hxg3 32.Rxf3 g2
0-1

in the game against the french i seen white play 5.c3 instead of 5.g3
against the caro-khan is's better for black to wait for white to play g3
before playing dxe4 i preume it would be the same for the french if
black plays dxe4 without white playing g3 then white moves the bishop to
c4 or b5
i did search a database for the postion after
1.e4 e6 2.d3 d5 3.Nd2 Nc6 4.Ngf3 Nf6 5.c3 found something like out of
177 games
white won 81 and lost 37

the line you mention and some of the ones i seen where the bishop goes
to c4 or b5
i seen mentioned in books but really talked about or covered so i am not
sure which lines are better for the french player to go for what you
mention or what are in the books on the kia i got thr impression that
you feel black is going for an early dxe4 followed by e5 white should
play not g3

jeff

Nick Nestorowycz

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

Alexander Baron wrote:

> In article <01bc9f0c$cfcd6660$1613d9cf@ELN/esuastegui>
> esc...@aol.com "Eduardo Suastegui" writes:
>
> > I am studing the KIA, and have seen that it can be played after 1.
> e4, if
> > Black chooses from the Sicilian, Caro-Kann, or French defense.
> However, I
> > am curious if a KIA proper may be played after Black's 1... e5. Any
> sample
> > games would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Yes it may! A player at my club plays it.

From what I've read in the past and from logic, the KIA is not so

Monica Vann

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

In article <33E4D52C...@labyrinth.net.au>, Nick Nestorowycz
<nick...@labyrinth.net.au> writes

>From what I've read in the past and from logic, the KIA is not so
>effective against 1...e5 mainly due to White not having the option of
>pushing e4-e5 later. While it is certainly playable it seems to me to be
>a gutless plan and shows limited knowledge. Black equalizes easily after
>moves like d5, Bc5 etc., again because White does not have e5 at his/her
>disposal.

There are a number of decent plans for Black with the French against the

Here's some examples

The reversed Latvian

--
Monica Vann

Roman Parparov

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

Najdorf (naj...@elite.net) wrote:
: If you really want to play the KIA after black responds with e5, then you

: should transpose by d3, Nd2, g3, Bg2, Nf3, 0-0

The problem here is that black counters with Nf6 & d5, thus you obtain
a reverse Philidor and a =/+ estimation.

R.
--
# Roman M. Parparov, EE department, Technion. | The most dangerous thing
# Email & phone:ro...@tochna.technion.ac.il, | to do while riding a

Eschess

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

>from what i read on the kia at least half all games start with 1.e4 and
>the books act like you only go into the kia if black doesn't play 1.. e5

I agree. I did a bit more studying on it this weekend, and White seems to
be in a lot of trouble by forcing the KIA against 1... e5. Studying
possible positions against the computer, Black seems to gain the
initiative with ease. The moral of the story then is don't play 1. e4,
unless you are ready to respond to 1... e5 with something other than the
KIA.

Eduardo Suastegui
http://home.earthlink.net/~esuastegui

Олейников Дмитрий

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

york...@sympaticon.ca wrote:

>Nick Nestorowycz

> <nick...@labyrinth.net.au> wrote:
>
> >From what I've read in the past and from logic, the KIA is not so
> >effective against 1...e5 mainly due to White not having the option of
> >pushing e4-e5 later. Black equalizes easily after

> >moves like d5, Bc5 etc., again because White does not have e5 at his/her
> >disposal.
>
> Dunnington recommends that you ready something else against 1...e5.

Dear chess friends!

What do you think about the line in Vienna: 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 or
2...Nf6 3.g3. The plan looks like one in the KIA - to attack on the king's
side with a pawn storm. Only one line is out of the idea: 2..Nf6 3.g3 d5, but
only one is very good for white. And if you don't like play it, try 1.e4 e5
2.Nc3 Nf6 3.d3 with the Chigorin idea 3...d5 4.Qe2 (4...d4 5.Nd1 and in a good moment
f4 and Nf2).

Dmitry Oleynikov, Moscow.

Dale Eckert

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

Eduardo Suastegui wrote:

> I am studing the KIA, and have seen that it can be played after 1. e4, if
> Black chooses from the Sicilian, Caro-Kann, or French defense. However, I
> am curious if a KIA proper may be played after Black's 1... e5. Any sample
> games would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> esc...@aol.com
> http://home.earthlink.net/~esuastegui

The KIA is certainly playable after 1. .... e5 but in my experience not
nearly as effective as it is against the Sicilian, French or Caro-Kann.
In order to play the KIA as much as possible, 1. Nf3 is a good choice
for the first player.

Regards,
Dale Eckert
ADF Custom Computer Consulting
o Custom Programming o Virtual Servers
o Web Design o Disaster Planning

WWW: http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/eckert/adf.htm
E-Mail: dwec...@sk.sympatico.ca

David Regis

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

A_B...@abaron.demon.co.uk writes:
> In article <01bc9f0c$cfcd6660$1613d9cf@ELN/esuastegui>
> esc...@aol.com "Eduardo Suastegui" writes:
>
> > I am studing the KIA, and have seen that it can be played after 1. e4, if
> > Black chooses from the Sicilian, Caro-Kann, or French defense. However, I
> > am curious if a KIA proper may be played after Black's 1... e5. Any sample
> > games would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, but it's not wonderful in that setting. So much so, in fact,
that in the straight French approach Black often loses a tempo to play
...e6-e5.

e.g. Csom,I - Fuchs,R 1968

1.e4 e6 2.d3 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.g3 dxe4 5.dxe4 e5 6.Ngf3 Bc5 7.Bg2 Nc6
8.0-0 0-0 9.c3 a5 ... 0-1

> Yes it may! A player at my club plays it. But here are a couple of recent
> victories against the French and Caro-Kann.
>

> Crystal Palace & Croydon Chess Club, Club Championship
>
> June 30, 1997
>
> Round 4
>
> Black: Mark Staunton
>
> King's Indian Attack v French Defence
>

> 1. P-K4 P-K3
> 2. P-Q3 P-Q4
> 3. N-Q2 P-QB4
> 4. P-KN3 P-QN3
>
> I felt this was a very poor move but failed to exploit it. I'll
> have to play another line against the French in addition to the
> King's Indian Attack, probably the Advance Variation.

The original enquiry was about 1...e5.

But I'm also anxious about this ...b6 idea, which I think has been
advocated by Uhlmann.

I find it very difficult to show anything for White in the lines

1. e4 e6 2. d3 d5 3. Nd2 Nf6 4. g3 b6! (idea ...Ba6) or
1. e4 e6 2. d3 d5 3. Nd2 Nf6 4. Nf3 b6
--
May your pieces harmonise with your Pawn structure and
your sacrifices be sound in all variations

D _
/ "()/~ Dave Regis &8^D* Exeter Chess Coaching Page etc.:
|| \_/| = DrDave on BICS http://www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR/chess.html
~\ / "...what else exists in the world but chess?"
_|||__SHEU ~/sheu.html -- NABOKOV "Contribute!" -- Doug Attig

George Clifton

Oct 10, 2021, 2:57:04 PM10/10/21
i am replying over 20 years later :)