What is your call?

peter

Jun 21, 2021, 11:22:15 AM6/21/21
Hi all,
you are playing MPs at club tourney level. Both sides NV.
You hold: 42, J974, QJ94, 987.
LHO opens 1nt (15-17), Partner bids 2S Multi Landy (agreement 5M, 4m)
RHO passes.
Thank you very much for your input.
Peter

Kenny McCormack

Jun 21, 2021, 12:33:48 PM6/21/21
In article <ce62cccb-2aae-4c58...@googlegroups.com>,
I think I would pass, since his suit is probably spades, and any bid by me
is likely to make things worse.

If LHO doubles, and this gets passed back to me, I'll try 2N, to get
partner to name another suit.

--
A 70 year old man who watches 6 hours of TV a day, plays a lot of golf
and seems to always be in Florida is a retiree, not a president.

johnson

Jun 21, 2021, 12:50:20 PM6/21/21
On 2021-06-21, Kenny McCormack <gaz...@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> In article <ce62cccb-2aae-4c58...@googlegroups.com>,
> peter <seidn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>you are playing MPs at club tourney level. Both sides NV.
>>You hold: 42, J974, QJ94, 987.
>>LHO opens 1nt (15-17), Partner bids 2S Multi Landy (agreement 5M, 4m)
>>RHO passes.
>>Thank you very much for your input.
>>Peter
>
> I think I would pass, since his suit is probably spades, and any bid by me
> is likely to make things worse.
>
> If LHO doubles, and this gets passed back to me, I'll try 2N, to get
> partner to name another suit.

His major suit *is* spades. I pass. Although he has a four-card minor
(more often played as 4+minor) the chances are that retreating
to his minor will result in playing a seven-card fit at the
three-level rather than at the two-level.

Kenny McCormack

Jun 21, 2021, 1:31:23 PM6/21/21
In article <er3AI.167205$gpy1...@usenetxs.com>,
Oh, OK. Then pass is even more clearcut.

I thought it was either major. In fact, I would argue that to make this
newsgroup thread even the least bit interesting, it is necessary to assume
that it means "a major", not, specically spades.

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/BestCLCPostEver

judyo...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2021, 3:18:36 PM6/21/21
Is 2S a serious attempt to buy the contract or is it usually destructive? I can't imagine you would agree to play this in a club tourney without an understanding about this.

Is it

KJ1098
KJ10
QJ106

or

K7653
K32
Q432

Carl

peter

Jun 21, 2021, 6:58:51 PM6/21/21
It ought rather look like the better one of the two hands and the agreement is actually 5M and 4+m.
Thank you all
Peter

judyo...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2021, 5:23:43 PM6/24/21
If "it ought" is not a specific agreement, it is a landmine.

Carl