A nice 4 table 24 board Howell

GLChi...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2007, 10:54:46 PM10/31/07
Read this in a fixed font. I spotted this movement as being the
neatest one for 4 tables. I haven't seen it published elsewhere. The
balance has been checked and is as good as can be got. It's better
than a 6 round 4-board round reduced Howell. It's based loosely on a
Worger movement as applied to a standard 7 round 4 table Howell. Put
the extra set (22-24) on a table next to table 3, and play the extra
set instead of the normal boards on rounds 1, 3 and 6. Enjoy, john
probst

The move for round 8 is

"NS, please move to EW; EW move up or down 2 and play as NS; find the
boards you didn't play at table 3" Move the 8th set of boards to
table 4.

Table 1 Table 2
Rd NS EW Boards Rd NS EW Boards
1 3 6 1- 3 1 7 2 7- 9
2 4 7 4- 6 2 1 3 10-12
3 5 1 7- 9 3 2 4 13-15
4 6 2 10-12 4 3 5 16-18
5 7 3 13-15 5 4 6 19-21
6 1 4 16-18 6 5 7 1- 3
7 2 5 19-21 7 6 1 4- 6
8 3 2 4- 6 8 7 6 16-18

Table 3 Table 4
Rd NS EW Boards Rd NS EW Boards
1 5 4 22-24 1 8 1 13-15
2 6 5 13-15 2 8 2 16-18
3 7 6 22-24 3 8 3 19-21
4 1 7 19-21 4 8 4 1- 3
5 2 1 1- 3 5 8 5 4- 6
6 3 2 22-24 6 8 6 7- 9
7 4 3 7- 9 7 8 7 10-12
8 5 4 10-12 8 8 1 22-24

Steve Foster

Nov 5, 2007, 9:36:55 AM11/5/07
GLChi...@gmail.com wrote:

Shouldn't table 4 round 8 be NS: 1 EW: 8, and not the other way around?

--
Steve Foster

Peter Smulders

Nov 6, 2007, 5:06:59 AM11/6/07
"Steve Foster" <steve...@invalid.invalid> schreef in

I have checked the balance of this movement with my programs (see
http://members.home.nl/p.j.m.smulders/BALANS/ ) and there is nothing wrong
with it. Round 4 of table 1 is definitely correct. But a considerably better
movement is obtained by switching all rounds except the last one at table 2.
In full:

3- 6 A 2- 7 C 5- 4 H 8- 1 E
4- 7 B 3- 1 D 6- 5 E 8- 2 F
5- 1 C 4- 2 E 7- 6 H 8- 3 G
6- 2 D 5- 3 F 1- 7 G 8- 4 A
7- 3 E 6- 4 G 2- 1 A 8- 5 B
1- 4 F 7- 5 A 3- 2 H 8- 6 C
2- 5 G 1- 6 B 4- 3 C 8- 7 D
3- 2 B 7- 6 F 5- 4 D 8- 1 H

where the numbers are the NS and EW pairs, and the letters are the board
sets.

Peter Smulders

Nov 6, 2007, 5:10:02 AM11/6/07
Peter Smulders <de...@home.nl> schreef in news:Xns99E0710B4FDFEpeterergensnl@
213.51.129.36:

> Round 4 of table 1 is definitely correct.

Ahem, round 8 is correct (round 4 too :-) )

Steve Foster

Nov 6, 2007, 7:16:28 AM11/6/07
Peter Smulders wrote:

Erm, I never mentioned Table 1, round 4.

I asked about Table *4*, round *8*, where, if the instructions are
followed, pair 8 (the up-to-then stationary pair) should get up off
their backsides and move to EW. However, the table card as given shows
them remaining stationary at NS.

> But a
> considerably better movement is obtained by switching all rounds
> except the last one at table 2. In full:
>
> 3- 6 A 2- 7 C 5- 4 H 8- 1 E
> 4- 7 B 3- 1 D 6- 5 E 8- 2 F
> 5- 1 C 4- 2 E 7- 6 H 8- 3 G
> 6- 2 D 5- 3 F 1- 7 G 8- 4 A
> 7- 3 E 6- 4 G 2- 1 A 8- 5 B
> 1- 4 F 7- 5 A 3- 2 H 8- 6 C
> 2- 5 G 1- 6 B 4- 3 C 8- 7 D
> 3- 2 B 7- 6 F 5- 4 D 8- 1 H

I was looking at some other Howell movements cards last night, and I
saw that the table 2 NS/EW were reversed compared to the other
movements I was reviewing.

--
Steve Foster