Double dummy oddity

Thomas Andrews

May 17, 2008, 5:14:47 PM5/17/08
Found this deal today (using Deal 3.1 with Bo Haglund's double dummy
solver):

S: AQJ74
H: ---
D: J542
C: AKT8
S: 952 S: KT86
H: K976542 H: ---
D: 6 D: KQT73
C: 95 C: QJ32
S: 3
H: AQJT83
D: A98
C: 764

The only game north/south can make is 4H.

Say west leads a diamond. South wins the ace, cross to a spade ace
and leads the spade queen.

If east covers the spade queen, south ruffs, crosses with a club, and
takes a spade winner and club winner. The situation is now:

S: 74
H: ---
D: J54
C: T8
S: --- S: T
H: K976542 H: ---
D: --- D: KQ73
C: --- C: QJ
S: ---
H: AQJT8
D: 9
C: 7

West is trump-tight, so declarer can throw west in to lead trumps, and
south scores the trump 8, the heart ace, two of the QJT of hearts,
three minor tricks, and two spades, and a spade ruff.

East not covering the spade queen doesn't change anything. You can
always get west trump-tight to score the trump 8.

So the only making game is in a 6-card fit with a 7-0 break.

This is similar to this deal:

http://bridge.thomasoandrews.com/deals/badfit/sacrifice5.html

but far less complicated.

=thomas andrews

Richard Pavlicek

May 17, 2008, 5:30:18 PM5/17/08
Thomas Andrews wrote:

> S: AQJ74
> H: ---
> D: J542
> C: AKT8
> S: 952 S: KT86
> H: K976542 H: ---
> D: 6 D: KQT73
> C: 95 C: QJ32
> S: 3
> H: AQJT83
> D: A98
> C: 764
>
> The only game north/south can make is 4H.
>
> Say west leads a diamond. South wins the ace, cross to a spade ace
> and leads the spade queen.
>
> If east covers the spade queen, south ruffs, crosses with a club, and

> takes a spade winner and club winner... [snip]

Even more curious is that the spade finesse is irrelevant.
Declarer can just ruff two spades and win six trump tricks.

--
Richard Pavlicek
Web site: http://www.rpbridge.net

Thomas Andrews

May 17, 2008, 5:44:27 PM5/17/08

Ah, yes, because then west can be thrown in three times to lead from
the king, and you score all of the AQJT.

=thomas

OldPalooka

May 17, 2008, 7:25:29 PM5/17/08
> =thomas- Hide quoted text -

As I recall, the rabbit found that play holding six side winners and
only AQJT opposite a void to score the only NS game.
8765432
---
AKQ
AKQ