Source of bridge poem?

bright...@yahoo.com

Apr 3, 2006, 3:27:16 PM4/3/06
When I first took bridge lessons (about nine years ago) we were given
this poem, which served as the entirety of the curriculum and
instructional materials. I have not run across it anywhere else since
then. Does anyone know the author or source?

BASIC BRIDGE BIDDING

With 14 or more points, I'm required to speak
And mention a short suit that's not very weak.
With five cards or longer, I need not be cute;
I merely will open with one in that suit.
But with four in a major, ah, that's the rub!
I know I must open, so I'll just say "one club." (Or one diamond.)
With 16 to 18, one no trump will do,
And with 21 or more, I'll open with two (no trump).
When opponents have opened, now I have trouble;
I've an opening bid and I say so by "double."
The opponents have opened, my back's to the wall!
I have good points and length, so I must overcall.
My partner has opened, and I'm in a fix
Because I must pass with less points than six.
But if my count is six points to ten,
I must respond once, but need not again.
Now eleven or twelve points is pretty nice;
I will plan to respond, not once, but twice.
With thirteen or more points, I would be to blame
If I let the bid end before we reach game.

Thanks!

Jon

Apr 3, 2006, 5:43:31 PM4/3/06

bright...@yahoo.com wrote:
> When I first took bridge lessons (about nine years ago) we were given
> this poem, which served as the entirety of the curriculum and
> instructional materials. I have not run across it anywhere else since
> then. Does anyone know the author or source?
>
> BASIC BRIDGE BIDDING

{snip}

> Thanks!

That's a great poem. I had never heard it before but a quick search
via Google led to a site that attributed it as:
BRIDGE IN A NUTSHELL
By Hildegard Rolland, Hi-Riser Columnist

I don't know if that's correct or not, though.

Amy Stellhorn

Apr 1, 2021, 12:08:06 PM4/1/21