Bidding quiz (hand)

Kenny McCormack

Jul 5, 2022, 2:47:23 PMJul 5
This time, you get to see two hands:

North has: AKxxx,QJx,x,Qxxx
South has: xx,Kxxx,Axx,AKJx

South dealer, vul and/or form of scoring unknown.

System: Assume SAYC, no other agreements.

What contract do you want to be in? How do you get there?
Note: Opps will bid (overcall) and raise diamonds if possible.

In particular, assume S will open a 15-17 1NT, and take it from there.

--
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance." - Steve Ballmer

John Hall

Jul 5, 2022, 3:53:45 PMJul 5
In message <ta20vp$2fa4p$1...@news.xmission.com>, Kenny McCormack
<gaz...@shell.xmission.com> writes
>This time, you get to see two hands:
>
>North has: AKxxx,QJx,x,Qxxx
>South has: xx,Kxxx,Axx,AKJx
>
>South dealer, vul and/or form of scoring unknown.
>
>System: Assume SAYC, no other agreements.
>
>What contract do you want to be in? How do you get there?
>Note: Opps will bid (overcall) and raise diamonds if possible.

Whilst 6C will make on a good day, as a lot of pairs are likely to be in
3NT going down I think I'll be conservative and settle for game. 4S
making will beat 5C and tie with 5C+1, but spades 4-2 could make 4S
tricky. I find it hard to decide between 4S and 5C.

>In particular, assume S will open a 15-17 1NT, and take it from there.

I came up with a plausible sequence, but then realised that I'd
forgotten about the EW diamond intervention that you mentioned. And now
I need to go and do something else.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,