3NT or TOX?

cshe...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2021, 7:10:09 AM11/9/21
In the Aces column in our local paper on Nov. 9, 2021, Bobby Wolff gives the hand 64-AQJ84-AK4-A62 with RHO opening 3C and asks what we would bid next.

Wolff says that the hand is too strong for 3H and that a TOX would force you to guess whether to bid 4H or 3NT if partner bids 3S, and that bidding 3N now "cuts out the middle man."

However, if you are willing to bid 3NT now without a spade stopper, it seems to me that it should be easy double and then bid 3NT over partner's 3S and this gives partner a chance to run to hearts or diamonds if he is 2-suited or to rebid spades if he is 1-suited.

So which is better, 3NT or double?

C. Johnson

Nov 10, 2021, 12:12:54 AM11/10/21
If you double and pard bids 4 spades, then what?

cshe...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2021, 7:31:27 AM11/10/21
Since my TOX doesn't promise 4 spades and since spades don't figure to break well even if I had 4, I take pard's jump to show a good hand with 6+ spades or a very good 5, so I would pass. I only have 18 HCP with no ruffing values and only 2 spades, so if pard has enough for slam (15+ points), he has to bid something stronger than 4S, IMO.

Fred.

Nov 15, 2021, 10:10:24 AM11/15/21
I think that lots depends on your exact understanding of the TOX. In the absence of previous
discussion I'd follow Mr. Wolff's lead and bid 3NT. Otherwise, the risk of a misunderstanding
is worse than the risk of the spade doubleton and the risk of missing a heart slam combined.
Double gives you no assurance of reaching the correct contract, but provides the defense with
added information.

Fred.

Fred.

Nov 15, 2021, 1:38:18 PM11/15/21
P.S. Intervener would prefer any spade honors to be on advancer's side of the table since a
club holdup may be needed preparation towards losing a heart. The weak spade doubleton is
likely good news.

F.

Charles Brenner

Nov 21, 2021, 4:43:44 AM11/21/21
It's desirable to have 5 or 6 spades to bid 4S but we don't get to choose how many spades we have; we only get to choose what bid to make given what we're dealt. Even when dealt only 4S it's common that a bid of 4S is the best gamble.

Angela 184jlwi

Feb 14, 2022, 4:53:10 AM2/14/22

John Hall

Feb 14, 2022, 5:39:31 AM2/14/22
In message <78c9913a-4ab9-416a...@googlegroups.com>,
Angela 184jlwi <angela...@gmail.com> writes
>Please unsubscribe me from this group:
>rec.game...@googlegroups.com

It doesn't work like that. You have to unsubscribe yourself. But not
being a user of googlegroups, I've no idea how you do that.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Bertel Lund Hansen

Feb 14, 2022, 6:04:30 AM2/14/22
Den 14.02.2022 kl. 11.29 skrev John Hall:

> It doesn't work like that. You have to unsubscribe yourself. But not
> being a user of googlegroups, I've no idea how you do that.

I suppose you can just stop opening the group.

--
Bertel

Jean Pierre Fontenille

Jun 7, 2022, 11:25:59 AM6/7/22
4S is a stop. 3S would be strong

John Hall

Jun 7, 2022, 12:08:07 PM6/7/22
In message <1d0f8618-9d7f-4c9a...@googlegroups.com>,
Jean Pierre Fontenille <fonten...@gmail.com> writes
>4S is a stop. 3S would be strong

It helps if you quote the post than you are responding to, especially if
- as in this case - it was made a long time ago.