Dark Tower Repair

Brian L

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Hello all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair the tower from Dark Tower?
My wife has one, and it won't start, even with a fresh set of batteries. I
took it apart, and everything looks good, all wires are connected. Of
course, if it's something chip related, I don't think that there's any
hope...

Any idea why these things seem to break so easily? Almost everyone I talk
to who owns a copy complains that the tower is broken.

Please reply to the group (e-mail is okay, but I'm sure that others would be
interested in knowing).

Thanks for any feedback!
/Brian

John Warner

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:45:06 -0400, "Brian L" <gree...@radix.net>
wrote:

Well, sorry i don't have the repair answers for ya about the dark
tower board, but i thought i'd chime in on your comment about them
breaking....

I've had mine for almost 20 yearsd now and never had a problem, just
dead batteries.
And i know a couple people who's towers have lasted very long, as
well.

Every time i pull it out, i consider myself fortunate that it still
works- hell, how long should a dispoable electronic device continue to
work, anyway? LOL

I'm amazed it's held up as well as it has..!

Just my 2 cents.

Can't resist any opportunity to talk about Dark TOwer...

John Warner

Kevin Kenney

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00

I've managed to resurrect mine a couple of times along the way.
Some tips (I don't have one in front of me, so I'll be general):

Be Gentle! The following can destroy your game if you don't know what
you're doing (in particular the soldering).

Unplug all plugs, polish the pins with an eraser, and replug. Ditto any
other connectors within reach. Be careful about bent pins and
reconnecting backwards.

Optional:Also use the eraser on any visable corrosion on any metalic part.
(It seems to have helped me in the past, possibly by pushing loose parts
into contact...)

Use a soldering iron to melt the solder at the most accessable points,
such as the wires connecting to the battery compartment. If you're used
to soldering, you might also do this to the components, but be careful of
overheating (small aligator clips make good heatsinks).

If you have a continuity tester (also part of most voltmeters), check the
ohmage of the wires (connect to both ends). If you get a non-zero value,
replace the wire - it may have corroded through. (Particularly true with
battery compartment wires if batteries had leaked into the system in the
past.)

Good luck,
KpK

Richard Burbage

Mar 11, 2022, 7:17:00 PM3/11/22
On Monday, April 3, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Brian L wrote:
> Hello all,
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair the tower from Dark Tower?
> My wife has one, and it won't start, even with a fresh set of batteries. I
> took it apart, and everything looks good, all wires are connected. Of
> course, if it's something chip related, I don't think that there's any
> hope...
> Any idea why these things seem to break so easily? Almost everyone I talk
> to who owns a copy complains that the tower is broken.
> Please reply to the group (e-mail is okay, but I'm sure that others would be
> interested in knowing).
> Thanks for any feedback!
> /Brian
Did you ever get this repaired? https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/1981-dark-tower/

Ninapenda Jibini

Mar 11, 2022, 7:52:27 PM3/11/22
Richard Burbage <rwbu...@gmail.com> wrote in
You replied to a post that's 22 years old? Do you actually expect an
answer?

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Andy Valencia

Mar 12, 2022, 9:26:29 AM3/12/22
Ninapenda Jibini <taus...@gmail.com> writes:
> You replied to a post that's 22 years old? Do you actually expect an
> answer?

First, Google News interface... am I right?

Second, I've been here decades. I'm sure there are lots of conversations
from the early days, where I wouldn't mind a follow up post!

Andy Valencia
Home page: https://www.vsta.org/andy/
To contact me: https://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html

Richard Burbage