Game called "Gusher"

Kevin

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Has anyone here heard of a board game called "Gusher?" It is based on the
concept of buying oil wells around a board and then drilling for oil. Very
simple to learn and easy to play. My wife and her sister have a copy between
them, but I'm wondering if it is common or a collector and if it is still
available anywhere.
--
Please reply here unless directed otherwise,
Kevin

ForlornH

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
>Has anyone here heard of a board game called "Gusher?" It is based on the
>concept of buying oil wells around a board and then drilling for oil. Very
>simple to learn and easy to play. My wife and her sister have a copy between
>them, but I'm wondering if it is common or a collector and if it is still
>available anywhere.

Sounds like an old board game called "Oil King" which gave the players little
derricks and they inserted them in holes in the board and the derrick raised to
a certain level depending on the worth of the drill. It's been almost 25 years
since I've seen it. Could this be the same game?

Rich Goranson (Lord Stephan Calvert deGrey)
Buffalo, NY (Barony of the Rhydderich Hael, Æthelmearc)
Diplomacy addict, F&E guru, Expos fan and medieval re-creationist

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - Henry
II

Kevin

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
I just found "Oil King" for auction on ebay. This isn't it, but a dead knock
off of the game with a different board design. "Gusher" was made by Carrom
in 1946 and "Oil King" by Milton Bradley in 1976.

--
Please reply here unless directed otherwise,
Kevin

Tony Nardo

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
"Kevin" <nu...@corp.com> writes:

>I just found "Oil King" for auction on ebay. This isn't it, but a dead knock
>off of the game with a different board design. "Gusher" was made by Carrom
>in 1946 and "Oil King" by Milton Bradley in 1976.

A couple corrections and additions:

1) That's "King Oil", not "Oil King". :-)

2) "Gusher" was printed by Carrom Industries as early as 1940. (That's
the copyright date on my copy.) I don't know if it was continuously
in print, but I've seen a copy of "Gusher" with a copyright date as
recent as the mid-1960s -- 1965, IIRC.
--
Tony Nardo, INET: t...@alexis.com, t...@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Johns Hopkins Univ./APL UUCP: {backbone!}mimsy!aplcomm!trn

Kevin

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Hello Tony,

You sound like someone that knows their games! You're right, I did transpose
the "King Oil" name and twice! Have you seen Gusher for sale anywhere lately
or even know what the approximate price would be?
--
Thanks,
Kevin

Tony Nardo

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
"Kevin" <nu...@corp.com> writes:

>You sound like someone that knows their games! You're right, I did transpose
>the "King Oil" name and twice! Have you seen Gusher for sale anywhere lately
>or even know what the approximate price would be?

I saw it a few times last year, on eBay and the Web. Depending on age, size
(it came in 14"x14" and 20"x20") and condition, prices ranged from $20 to $90.
I haven't seen it for sale recently.

Good luck!

by...@tarchuk.ca

May 2, 2015, 12:52:32 PM5/2/15
On Tuesday, 5 January 1999 01:00:00 UTC-7, Kevin wrote:
> Has anyone here heard of a board game called "Gusher?" It is based on the
> concept of buying oil wells around a board and then drilling for oil. Very
> simple to learn and easy to play. My wife and her sister have a copy between
> them, but I'm wondering if it is common or a collector and if it is still
> available anywhere.
> --
> Please reply here unless directed otherwise,
> Kevin

I have (5) 15.5X15.5 games and (1) 20.5x20.5 if anyone's interested.(403)678-7828

cheryl...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2017, 7:23:28 PM9/17/17
Do you still have and how much are you asking?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Sep 17, 2017, 9:44:48 PM9/17/17
cheryl...@gmail.com wrote in
You realize you're replying to a post from well over two years ago,
don't you? Don't yoU?

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

David Damerell

Sep 18, 2017, 2:55:42 PM9/18/17
Quoting Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com>:
>You realize you're replying to a post from well over two years ago,
>don't you? Don't yoU?

My thought when I read it was more "at least it's only from 2 years ago".
Normally with these Google Groups drivebys there's a serious chance the OP
is dead by now...
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Epithumia, September - a weekend.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Sep 18, 2017, 4:40:48 PM9/18/17
dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (David Damerell) wrote in

> Quoting Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com>:
>>You realize you're replying to a post from well over two years
>>ago, don't you? Don't yoU?
>
> My thought when I read it was more "at least it's only from 2
> years ago". Normally with these Google Groups drivebys there's a
> serious chance the OP is dead by now...

Very true. Even so, given the traffic in this group, the odds of the
original poster ever seeing a reply are indistinguishable from zero.

Rick Pikul/Chakat Firepaw

Sep 19, 2017, 11:02:34 PM9/19/17
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:55:39 +0100, David Damerell wrote:

> Quoting Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <taus...@gmail.com>:
>>You realize you're replying to a post from well over two years ago,
>>don't you? Don't yoU?
>
> My thought when I read it was more "at least it's only from 2 years
> ago". Normally with these Google Groups drivebys there's a serious
> chance the OP is dead by now...

Check the date on the next post back: That wasn't just a necropost, it
was a necropost of a necropost.

--
Chakat Firepaw - Inventor and Scientist (mad)

jrc...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2017, 11:13:22 AM12/27/17
On Tuesday, January 5, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Kevin wrote:
> Has anyone here heard of a board game called "Gusher?" It is based on the
> concept of buying oil wells around a board and then drilling for oil. Very
> simple to learn and easy to play. My wife and her sister have a copy between
> them, but I'm wondering if it is common or a collector and if it is still
> available anywhere.
> --
> Please reply here unless directed otherwise,
> Kevin

Not available and not manufactured. I have one and made a version of it for my grown children. Changed the rules to suit today's economy and changed the board to make it last longer. My family bought this one in 1949.

kjs...@hotmail.com

Apr 11, 2019, 10:16:43 PM4/11/19
On Tuesday, January 5, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kevin wrote:
> Has anyone here heard of a board game called "Gusher?" It is based on the
> concept of buying oil wells around a board and then drilling for oil. Very
> simple to learn and easy to play. My wife and her sister have a copy between
> them, but I'm wondering if it is common or a collector and if it is still
> available anywhere.
> --
> Please reply here unless directed otherwise,
> Kevin

I have searched for many a nights to find the one you are talking about. WE had many a fun family nights playing that game when I was young and would love to find one. I see it but never one to buy. One was already sold for 149.00.Too rich for my blood but I might even consider it if I could find one.

kuntak...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2020, 11:29:06 AM4/10/20
Still looking for the game gushers .I have one

jimm...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2020, 6:15:27 PM6/7/20
Indeed I am looking for 1!
Jimm...@gmail.com