Super Scrabble Tile size

Michael Poplawski

Sep 11, 2008, 2:41:23 PM9/11/08
Starting from scratch, I would like obtain sets of wooden German and
English Scrabble game tiles and a turntable board with grid. (The
current retail offerings appear to make this more difficult than it
sounds.)

One option that appears to be open to me is to get a turntable & grid
version of Super Scrabble, which has 200 tiles (some which could be
converted to German characters as necessary), and use the central 15 x
15 spaces to play normal scrabble games.

Now, my question: are the tiles in Super Scrabble the same size as
those found in origninal Scrabble editions, in case I am ever able to
find suitable 15 x 15 grid boards?

My appreciation goes out to anyone who can confirm this.

--
Michael Poplawski
Victoria, BC Canada

Donald Sauter

Sep 18, 2008, 12:57:31 PM9/18/08
On Sep 11, 1:41 pm, Michael Poplawski <michael.poplaw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Over the years, Scrabble tiles have varied ever so slightly in size,
but we're only
talking a hair's breadth or two. The Super Scrabble tiles fall
within those error bars,
as far as I can tell. I have a bunch of Super Scrabble tiles and
pre-1980s Scrabble
tiles in from of me right now. Any difference in any of the three
dimensions could
only be called a hair's breadth. I'll stick my neck out and say you
will have no
trouble.

If you go with the Deluxe Super Scrabble board, could I make a
suggestion that
you don't completely disregard the extra three rows on each side of
the board?
Ignore all the premium squares in those rows, but open them up FOR
EXTENSIONS ONLY of words that start on the main 15x15 board. Try a
game
like that and see if it doesn't change your Scrabble life. If I've
misled you, you
can always go back to the classic boundaries.

To see how this simple adjustment changes the game, look at how boards
produced
by Scrabble champions compare to boards produced in the Dover Scrabble
Club:

http://www.geocities.com/donaldsauter/national-scrabble-championship.htm

Let me know if you're curious about the letter distribution in the
Super Scrabble game.

Donald Sauter