Pre-WW 2 game with cards? Help!

Lenona321

Aug 22, 2001, 8:06:34 AM8/22/01
All I have of this game from my grandmother's house is some of the cards, and
my baby-boomer mother and aunt say they don't remember them. Each has a picture
in bright colors. Number 1 says The Sun, 2: The Moon, 3 The House, 5 The Sick
Person, 13 The Letter (the woman in it with the letter wears a long white dress
with a low neckline and short puffed sleeves and gathered-up hair that makes me
think of the WW 1 era or earlier), 23 The Mice (with a burglar in the
background) 24 The Switch (a birch-switch; it also has a boy, a crying girl,
and toys in it), 26 The Star, 28 The Sword, 29 The Flame (a fireplace), and 36
The Safe.

I would be eternally GRATEFUL if you know anything about it and would tell me
every detail! Thanks.

Lenona.

leno...@yahoo.com

Jun 2, 2020, 2:25:34 PM6/2/20
______________________________________

Yeah, I know, hardly anyone will read this, especially nearly 20 years later....

A few years ago, I got the answer from some kind vendors at the annual Antiquarian Book Fair. They contacted someone else and emailed me the answer.

The cards were printed in 1940, by Whitman. (The design just LOOKS older than that.) The name was "Old Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards." Normally, instructions come with the cards, of course.

(Given the date, my grandmother was already in her early 20s when she got them. She liked cards in general - mainly bridge.)

This shows you the cards and the meaning of each.

https://curativearts.wordpress.com/2019/11/12/old-gypsy-fortune-telling-cards/

leno...@yahoo.com

Jun 2, 2020, 2:49:58 PM6/2/20
And, some years ago, I got the entire pack on Ebay - it was part of "40 Games: A Combination Game Box."

You can see many of the games here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Whitman-40-Games-1938-Bingo-Old-Maid-Rummy-Author-Game-Board-Game-/274355203265

There are three packs of cards, none of them being regular playing cards. Only thing is, while my box has the "Old Maid" pack (42 cards) and the "Rummy" pack (44 animal cards), the "Authors" pack was apparently replaced with the Gypsy pack.

Lenona.

leno...@yahoo.com

Jun 2, 2020, 3:06:44 PM6/2/20
However, there WERE instructions for the Gypsy cards - and the booklet was taller and wider than the pack was, which suggests it did in fact belong with the bigger box. Not to mention that the design on the back of the cards was the same as that of the other two packs - they were just different colors.