Any good solitaire games?

L. Tuxbury

Dec 11, 2001, 6:08:25 PM12/11/01
My brother- and sister-in-law asked me to come up with the name of a
good, relatively simple (no AH simulations!) solitaire game that does
not use a standard deck of playing cards. Can anyone out there help with
this one?

Steve

Dec 11, 2001, 7:38:52 PM12/11/01
"L. Tuxbury" <lt...@earthlink.net> wrote in news:3C16915A.9090207
@earthlink.net:

If they like word games, Letras by Grande Isle Games isn't bad, can be
played solitaire or with up to four players.
It's a bit like Scrabble using cards.

-Steve
www.boardsandcards.com

il Silvano

Dec 11, 2001, 8:01:45 PM12/11/01

"L. Tuxbury" <lt...@earthlink.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

Well, if you like Bohnanza, you should try Al Cabohne. It's for one or two
players.

il Silvano

Jim Bolland

Dec 11, 2001, 8:28:26 PM12/11/01
Sorcerer's Cave and Mystic Wood (unfortunately both out of print) can be
played solitaire. You try to beat your previous high score.

Jim

Robert Rossney

Dec 11, 2001, 8:29:31 PM12/11/01
"L. Tuxbury" <lt...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Al Cabohne is a really mediocre 2-player version of Bohnanza, but it's a
stellar solitaire game.

Bob Rossney
r...@well.com

RRI1

Dec 11, 2001, 10:07:31 PM12/11/01

It is not particularly simple, but Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is an
excellent solitaire game.

Richard Irving rr...@aol.com
Made with recycled electrons!

Stefano Gaburri

Dec 12, 2001, 4:48:27 AM12/12/01

RRI1 wrote:

> It is not particularly simple, but Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is an
> excellent solitaire game.

really? I always thought the fun was to discuss the plot/crimes/suspects with your
frineds, the more the better. Playing alone would feel (to me) kinda sad - I'd rather read
the books instead.

I'm not even going to cite Mosby's Raiders, Raid on St. Nazaire etc (and what about
Republic of Rome?), but for a solitaire game with a bit more "meat" in it, there's Down in
Flames. I remember there are plenty of extra solitaire campaigns in C3i and 8th Air Force.
With a bit of patience you can probably get both boxes for 40$ or little more on ebay or
somewhere.

ciao

Jeff Abramson

Dec 12, 2001, 12:28:18 PM12/12/01

"L. Tuxbury" <lt...@earthlink.net> writes:

If they like logic puzzles, then I recommend the puzzles from Binary Arts:
Rush Hour, Stormy Seas, Lunar Lockout, etc. Also SET and Ricochet Robot.

(note that email-reply to this post will FAIL - use emailID below)

Jeff Abramson, co-owner
Rainy Day Games - Aloha Oregon
503 642-4100
http://www.rainy-day-games.com
in...@rainy-day-games.com

Richard Heli

Dec 12, 2001, 4:09:01 PM12/12/01

There is also Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident, but probably like
all of the above, not particularly simple. I suppose one could go to
the Luding search page and put in 1 for the number of players and see
what comes up:

http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/cgi-bin/luding/HTML_Search.py?lang=EN

Stefano Gaburri

Dec 12, 2001, 7:13:19 PM12/12/01

Richard Heli wrote:

> There is also Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident, but probably like
> all of the above, not particularly simple.

yes, but very fun if you like alien(s)-type movies! And not too hard to learn after all. A
bargain for 10$, for the fun if not the components (altough the cut-em-yourself counters
are full-color after all, and quite thick). I was going to suggest it too, I though of it
after my last post. Check it out here:

http://www.fatmessiahgames.com/fmg/vesuvius/index.html

or you can get "the artifact" from SMG and get 4 complete copies of it to give them away
to your friends and/or play together the 4-way blind game (the artifact does include 4
complete copies of Vesuvius incident for 25$)

http://www.io.com/~wasson/smg/artifact.html

ciao

PS speaking of minigames, there's a few of 'em supporting solitaire playing: but it would
too long to mention them here, if you're interested check out the web Microgame
lists/museums.

Steve

Dec 13, 2001, 7:53:50 AM12/13/01

> There is also Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident, but probably like
> all of the above, not particularly simple.

That's an understatement - the basic rules are 20 pages long - I've had the
game for years but have only played it twice, because it's tiring to have
to have a 45-minute study session whenver I want to pull it out.
Admittedly though once you get playing, it IS fun - especially if you've
recently seen the movie "Aliens" - very similar feel to the game.

-Steve
www.boardsandcards.com

Richard Heli

Dec 13, 2001, 12:33:31 PM12/13/01
Good information, Stefano.

Meanwhile I thought of some more simple, solitaire game suggestions:

Ebbe & Flut
Ricochet Robot
Safe Return Doubtful

Rick Heli
http://www.best.com/~heli/game/list/nights

Tom Alaerts

Dec 16, 2001, 5:47:04 AM12/16/01

"L. Tuxbury" <lt...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Personally, when playing solitaire I think that a computer game is more
interesting... For example, you could download GF1, the depressingly strong
playing computer version of the excellent abstract boardgame GIPF (I believe
there should be a link on www.gipf.com).

However, 2 card games come to mind that are quite ok when solitaired:
Chrononauts (when played with more players I was actually somewhat
disappointed by this one, while it has such a great topic) and Ebbe & Flut
(one of those small card games from Adlung).

There is one solitairable game that works really well: Peloponnesian War by
Victory Games. It's actually the kind you don't want as recommendation since
it's a simulation, but the complexity in fact also very doable. I was
surprised and disturbed to find that an A.I. that fits on ONE PAGE of paper
could prove such a tough opponent! The trick here is that as long as you're
playing worse than the system, you continue with your side, but as you
improve, you may have to switch sides. I read that this game is often used
in the strategy courses at military schools.

Tom

Allan Rothberg

Dec 16, 2001, 7:29:56 PM12/16/01
Tom,
From what I understand the game has been ported into a PC version for use in
military training. I do not believe it will be made available to us mere
civilian types.
Oh well.
Allan

tomas

Dec 16, 2001, 8:57:58 PM12/16/01
)

> Might want to try LETRAS and/or EQUALS. More info at grandislegames.com.

Christian Beijner

Dec 17, 2001, 9:37:52 AM12/17/01

IMO, the problem with most "solitaire" games is the complexity. I
consider myself a hardcore gamer but to me complex solitaire games
simply do not work. I sold my "Tobruk Express" for this reason. Rules
are actually simpler to remember when playing more players as any solo
player must remember all rules by himself. And in multiplayer games,
idle players can check the rulebook without such an action delaying the game.
This said, any low complexity game that does not rely on hidden
information can be played solitaire, just play both/all sides to the
best of your ability.
There were a lot of those in past, simple wargames etc. Today the simple
"euro" games often relies strongly on betting or bidding mechanism that
simply do not work solitaire.
A "euro" game that works with with up to 6 players, is Vinci. I have not
played it solitaire, but have played it with 2 players and a few "dummy"
players. This worked suprisingly well, as the "dummy" players will
simply maximise their score. It should work solitaire without problems,
but I recommend playing it with live opposition first.