Two-Handed Backgammon

1 view

Michael Strato

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
I first started playing Backgammon in the seventies with a group of friends
my own age. We got the basics from a Hoyle's Book of Rules and played for
the fun of the game. During the eighties, I played often with an Arab friend
who was much older than me. This man was also my employer at the time and we
worked together on his plantation in the Costa Rican rainforest.

It was customary to take a siesta after lunch but sometimes we would get out
the old Backgammon board and play a few matches. He had been a tournament
player in Florida during the seventies and it was very difficult to win
against him unless I got lucky. He never really offered to teach me the
game, I had to learn by studying his moves.We usually played for very small
stakes, in Costa Rican currency (colones) probably equivalent to10 cents a
point and we did use the doubling cube.

Well, to make a long story short, I got really excited one day when I got
doubles to hit him and close my homeboard and I used both my hands to make
different moves at the same time. He got a little upset and said, "If you do
that in my country, you're liable to lose a few fingers in the process."

I know that tournament rules state that "Players should move clearly, using
only one hand to play the checkers." and I can understand that two hands
and/or arms over a board will hamper an opponent's view of what is going on.
However, in a few places I have checked for the general rules of Backgammon
(in books and on the Internet) there is no mention restricting the use of
both hands by a player.

Do you think this rule should be standard so that people start out right?

By the way, I went to Costa Rica a couple of years ago and had the
opportunity to visit my friend and play him once again. We played an
11-pointer. I won 11-7. We played for 1,000 colones ($12.USD).
Watch out Monte Carlo! Here I come.

Michael Crane

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Michael,

The Biba Rules For Tournament Play clearly state; 4.3 Moving: "Players
should move clearly, using only one hand to move the checkers."

This is a tournament rule, but, as far as I know not a rule of backgammon.
Perhaps it should become one. I must admit that I don't know of any
definitive rules for backgammon. Do any exist? If not then we, as a
backgammon community might consider writing some and set about getting them
accepted as 'official' . Any comments?

Michael Crane
Biba Director

* Backgammon For Everyone *
* Biba & Mind Sports Worldwide *
Check out our web pages on:
www.cottagewebs.co.uk/biba/
www.msoworld.com/mindzine/news/classic/bg/bg_index.html

Michael Strato <dic...@videotron.ca> wrote in message

Andrew Grant

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00

Michael Crane <bi...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Michael,
>
> The Biba Rules For Tournament Play clearly state; 4.3 Moving: "Players
> should move clearly, using only one hand to move the checkers."
>
> This is a tournament rule, but, as far as I know not a rule of backgammon.
> Perhaps it should become one.

Questions of personal etiquette such as how many hands (or other appendages)
you use to move the checkers are a fit subject for tournament rules, but not
for the rules of the game itself, which should be regarded as an abstract
entity. By your suggested rule someone who is disabled and unable to use
their hands cannot play legal backgammon. Neither can a computer, which has
no hands. I feel sure this is not what you intended.

Andrew Grant.

Michael Crane

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
Good point about disabled players.

Biba member, Jeremy Limb was born without any arms and so therefore plays
using his left foot! In his case we add an over-ride on the rules and
change it to "Players should move clearly, using only one foot to move the
checkers." ;-)))

Michael

Andrew Grant <a...@honinbo.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Bob Hoey

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00
BH> You Arab teacher was good enough to teach you the game itself, why would
you doubt him about the protocol of using one hand only. It has been an
accepted standard in virtually all tournaments that I have directed or been a
part of. You may use both hands, but only one at a time.
Bob

dic...@videotron.ca writes:
>I first started playing Backgammon in the seventies with a group of friends
>my own age. We got the basics from a Hoyle's Book of Rules and played for
>the fun of the game. During the eighties, I played often with an Arab friend
>who was much older than me. This man was also my employer at the time and we
>worked together on his plantation in the Costa Rican rainforest.
>
>It was customary to take a siesta after lunch but sometimes we would get out
>the old Backgammon board and play a few matches. He had been a tournament
>player in Florida during the seventies and it was very difficult to win
>against him unless I got lucky. He never really offered to teach me the
>game, I had to learn by studying his moves.We usually played for very small
>stakes, in Costa Rican currency (colones) probably equivalent to10 cents a
>point and we did use the doubling cube.
>
>Well, to make a long story short, I got really excited one day when I got
>doubles to hit him and close my homeboard and I used both my hands to make
>different moves at the same time. He got a little upset and said, "If you do
>that in my country, you're liable to lose a few fingers in the process."
>

>I know that tournament rules state that "Players should move clearly, using

Michael Strato

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00
Hi Bob,

I never said I doubted my Arab friend. I also said I understand the reason
for it, and I do agree on it being a tournament rule. I am just wondering if
it anyone else thinks it should be in the regular rules that people first
read when they begin to play socially so that they acquire good playing
habits from the start.

Regards,

Michael

"Bob Hoey" <bob...@mlsonline.com> wrote in message

EdmondT

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
My experience is that any middle Easter player would think it rude if, as you
said in the initial post, you rolled a great double, then used both hands to
hit a number of his pieces.

My father who is from the middle east, never fails to comment when I use two
hands.

He really doesn't think of it as a rule, just manners.

Edm...@aol.com

Walt Swan

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Regarding etiquette,
This is frequently not followed, and is somewhat annoying.

Please keep dice cup above playing surface at all times.

Not sure if its in the tournament rules.