Average Number Of Rolls In A Game?

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 29, 2015, 3:46:41 PM1/29/15

Does anyone know the average (median would be nice) number of rolls,
with contact, in a game? Actually, any summary of rolls-per-game
stats would be interesting, if nicely tabulated (Yes, I'm lazy).

--bks

Michael Petch

Jan 29, 2015, 6:38:23 PM1/29/15
I may be able to dig up about 10k-15k matches that I did dice studies on
from SHG. The matches were played among a wide variety of skill levels
and different match lengths. I had recorded every move into a database
and I might be able to do some relevant queries. I think I even had a
notation for contact/non-contact/bearoff.

One observation I will make is that I do know that the length of a game
will differ greatly based on the score. DMP games are generally longer
than earlier games that may end in Double/Drop.

Wasn't clear whether you were considering money sessions or match play.
The database I had was match play (3pts to 21 pts as I recall)

Bradley K. Sherman

Jan 29, 2015, 7:06:00 PM1/29/15
Michael Petch <mpe...@capp-sysware.com> wrote:
>On 2015-01-29 1:46 PM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> Does anyone know the average (median would be nice) number of rolls,
>> with contact, in a game? Actually, any summary of rolls-per-game
>> stats would be interesting, if nicely tabulated (Yes, I'm lazy).
>One observation I will make is that I do know that the length of a game
>will differ greatly based on the score. DMP games are generally longer
>than earlier games that may end in Double/Drop.

I'm sure that DMP games are longer, but quantifying that would
be interesting. I'm really just interested in a rough estimate
of how long games go before they become a pure race, and I doubt
that money and match play differ significantly, but quantifying
any discriminant would be interesting.

--bks

michae...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2015, 5:24:31 PM2/1/15

michae...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2015, 5:25:34 PM2/1/15
26 each

Bradley K. Sherman

Feb 1, 2015, 5:41:09 PM2/1/15
<michae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 10:46:41 PM UTC+2, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>> Does anyone know the average (median would be nice) number of rolls,
>> with contact, in a game? Actually, any summary of rolls-per-game
>> stats would be interesting, if nicely tabulated (Yes, I'm lazy).
>
>http://zooescape.com/backgammon-stats.pl

Thanks. So about 26 rolls per player per game. So
average rolls with contact is probably between 10
and 20 per player per game.

--bks

michae...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2015, 4:39:59 PM2/2/15
I think 10 is too little for the lower limit I would say around 15, but that's just my opinion a have no data to support it.

bananab...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2015, 7:08:15 AM3/2/15

Sorry I didn't click this thread before. I did this study a long time ago and believe my results were 23 rolls was the length of the average money game.

Stick

mu...@compuplus.net

Mar 2, 2015, 7:06:38 PM3/2/15
I meant to post in this thread also but had never found
the time. Here is something I had posted 17 years ago,
for a different reason but on the very same subject,
that you may find useful/interesting.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.games.backgammon/_wwuww7YIaY/Mr9FhnqrtRgJ

MK