"Backgammon Master Games" by Kenedy and Papazian

Ben Fairbank

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Today on my lunch hour I visited a used book store and browsed their backgammon
section (7 books -- :-) ) and found the above-titled book, a 1981 book
published by Shima in Palo Alto. It mixes 64 annotated tournament games with a
few problems in each chapter.

I'd be glad to hear of the esteem, or lack of it, in which the Backgammon
community holds this book (which I had never heard of). Have others found it
useful? Has anyone reported what Jellyfish analysis says about the included
problems? Some of the commentaries about the problems seem thin and glib, but
perhaps they are sound.

Ben Fairbank (If replying by email, please delete the .antispam from address.)

Rechtsanwalt Martin Fischer

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Dear Ben,

about 15 years ago this book was my first backgammon book and I learned the game by

playing through all games and analysed them deeply. If you do the same, you may
realize very soon, that the analyses are very often wrong or superficial. On the
other hand, the ganes are interesting and there are covered the most important
types of positions and games in backgammon. If you really work with the book in an
open minded manner and invest some time to go over and think about the games (by
your own at first - and oly after this job is done with JellyFish or Snowie), I'am
sure your backgammon will improve a lot. If used in this way, I recommend the book
because of his interesting games.

Martin

Martin Lee

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
BUY BUY BUY!

This was the first breakthrough book I read after reading Magriel's
masterpiece again and again for over a year.

Dont hesitate!! It was this book that was instrumental in my first
tournament success

,''. : __
\|_.' `: _.----._//_
.' .'.`'-._ .' _/ -._ \)-.----O
'._.'.' '--''-'._ '--..--'-`
. .'.'___ /`'---'. / ,-'`
'_\/ _<__.-._))../ /'----'/.'_____:'.
. /\ : Martin Lee \ ] 01535-670368 : '.
\_: aka \\ : '. "Look on my dice, ye Mighty,
: YLee on GG \\0831-493440 : .' and DESPAIR!"
:_______________|__]__________: .'
Yahoo Pager ID: vlhurg :.' JGS

Donald Kahn

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:13:43 GMT, ml...@legend.co.uk (Martin Lee)
wrote:

>BUY BUY BUY!
>
>This was the first breakthrough book I read after reading Magriel's
>masterpiece again and again for over a year.
>
>Dont hesitate!! It was this book that was instrumental in my first
>tournament success
>

>On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:56:57 +0200, Rechtsanwalt Martin Fischer
><kanz...@lynet.de> wrote:
>
>>Dear Ben,
>>
>>about 15 years ago this book was my first backgammon book and I learned the game by
>>
>>playing through all games and analysed them deeply. If you do the same, you may
>>realize very soon, that the analyses are very often wrong or superficial. On the
>>other hand, the ganes are interesting and there are covered the most important
>>types of positions and games in backgammon. If you really work with the book in an
>>open minded manner and invest some time to go over and think about the games (by
>>your own at first - and oly after this job is done with JellyFish or Snowie), I'am
>>sure your backgammon will improve a lot. If used in this way, I recommend the book
>>because of his interesting games.
>>
>>Martin

I don't remember seeing this book in the early 80's but anything that
Chuck Papazian has a hand in is well worth one's attention. He was a
top player then, was a top player ten years before that, and still is
top!
Along with Paul Magriel, he has a 25+ year career at the highest level
- and these two stand alone.

dk

Grafix8888

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
Is this the same Chuck Papazian who wrote the joy of homebrewing series, and is
considered a top authority on homebrewing matters as well?

Talk about a new idol :) a top backgammon player and a top brewer to boot.

If his backgammon book could teach me as much about the game as "the new
complete joy of homebrewing" taught me about brewing beer, it would definately
be worth picking reading.

MIKE