Fall Tournament Odds 18/10

Darren O'Shaughnessy

Oct 18, 1994, 12:52:44 AM10/18/94

Shock! Horror! Rourke, 400/1 shot, loses to murder in the third round!
Oh well, life goes on. And here are the latest odds of winning the tournament:

ODDS Players
11-2 champion
15-2 yogi
8-1 murder
10-1 simonw, igor
16 davide
25 RichardG, mary_b, towanda, indianajones
33 klammer
40 Mika, MH
50 JackWood, lancaster, DavidH, hanse, JoeMontana
66 wking, MIKAL, ekw
80 duffy, Patti, Albert
125 slug, jaydubb, toni
150 Satan
250 GLH
330 lev, kimf
400 c_kerr
660 shake
2500 margotk

To make the quarter-finals:

ODDS Players
QF simonw
8-15 champion
8-11 murder, RichardG
9-10 davide
13-8 yogi
15-8 indianajones, igor
9-4 hanse
11-4 towanda
3-1 duffy, mary_b
7-2 JackWood, Albert
9-2 DavidH, klammer, Mika
5-1 lancaster, slug
11-2 wking
7-1 JoeMontana, Patti, MIKAL
15-2 MH
8-1 ekw
9-1 jaydubb, c_kerr
11-1 toni
15-1 kimf, lev, shake
16-1 Satan, GLH
25-1 margotk

--
Signed, | The Horror of Modern Life - Part XVII
Pat Rourke | Instant lottery tickets
| - a discriminatory tax on stupidity.
For suggestions/requests re HOML series, contact dar...@tauon.ph.unimelb.edu.au

Anthony R Wuersch

Oct 22, 1994, 2:32:09 PM10/22/94
It's time to discuss a Calcutta Auction for the final 8. For, against?
How much buyback is usual? Could payments be trusted? How would bidding
be done? Lots of fun questions.

Final eight, don't scuttle the Calcutta by playing just yet!

Toni
--
Toni Wuersch
a...@world.std.com {uunet,bu.edu,bloom-beacon}!world!arw

Kit Woolsey

Oct 23, 1994, 4:59:37 AM10/23/94
Anthony R Wuersch (a...@world.std.com) wrote:
: It's time to discuss a Calcutta Auction for the final 8. For, against?

: How much buyback is usual? Could payments be trusted? How would bidding
: be done? Lots of fun questions.

While a calcutta auction might be a good idea (although I can think of
several drawbacks), I think we should wait until the next tournament
rather than rush into one now. This will give us time to prepare the
ground rules carefully, which is very important. If we try to throw one
together at the last minute, there are too many things which can go wrong.

Kit

Frank Bommarito

Oct 24, 1994, 7:52:09 AM10/24/94
>Anthony R Wuersch (a...@world.std.com) wrote:
>: It's time to discuss a Calcutta Auction for the final 8. For, against?
>: How much buyback is usual? Could payments be trusted? How would bidding
>: be done? Lots of fun questions.

I agree with Kit - We should wait until the next tourney. It is not only
important to get the ground rules down. But - it is equally important to
sort out some of the following issues:

1. How bidding would proceed (not every one has time or ability to bid via
r.g.b)
2. We would have to have some trustee to not only collect all funds
before start of play - but - also track the player buypack and insure
those funds are collected as well.

I feel that the biggest obstacle would be number 1. Bidding is a complex
process. There are many different ways to bid. Folks overseas have said
that it takes a least a week for them to see my posts. That would seem to
kill the idea of bidding on r.g.b (forgetting that most cant post). Email
is an idea - but - who gets to be on the list of possible bidders (maybe
a general message on FIBS saying send mail to trustee if you wish to be a
bidder?)

Anyway - the pt of waiting is that there is so much to work out - that
starting on these details now would more than likely provide good timing
for the next tourney.

Frank Bommarito (champion)

Launchpad is an experimental internet BBS. The views of its users do not
necessarily represent those of UNC-Chapel Hill, OIT, or the SysOps.

Anthony R Wuersch

Oct 24, 1994, 7:11:50 PM10/24/94
Thanks, Kit Woolsey (kitwoolsey) and Frank Bommarito (champion), for your
suggestions.

In article <38g759$1e...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,

Frank Bommarito <Frank.B...@launchpad.unc.edu> wrote:
>>Anthony R Wuersch (a...@world.std.com) wrote:
>>: It's time to discuss a Calcutta Auction for the final 8. For, against?
>>: How much buyback is usual? Could payments be trusted? How would bidding
>>: be done? Lots of fun questions.
>>

>I agree with Kit - We should wait until the next tourney. It is not only
>important to get the ground rules down. But - it is equally important to
>sort out some of the following issues:
>
>1. How bidding would proceed (not every one has time or ability to bid via
> r.g.b)
>2. We would have to have some trustee to not only collect all funds
>before start of play - but - also track the player buypack and insure
>those funds are collected as well.

>Anyway - the pt of waiting is that there is so much to work out - that
>starting on these details now would more than likely provide good timing
>for the next tourney.
>
>Frank Bommarito (champion)

In any case, I strongly recommend that a Calcutta Auction happen, if not
now, then in the next tournament, and I'd propose that it be limited to
the quarter finalists (final 8) in the main flight.

The main flight finishes much earlier than the consolation, because what
slows this network-based tournament down is not the length of each match,
but rather the total number of rounds and the player-to-player rendezvous
that each round requires.

A delay to hold a Calcutta auction in the main flight would not delay the
end of the tournament, even if this auction took longer than two weeks.

Proposed Calcutta Rules:

I agree with Frank (champion), the auction should be conducted via email,
not via r.g.b..

One difference between an Internet auction and a face-to-face auction is
that the face to face auction sells players off one at a time, while an
Internet auction could sell off all players at once.

A bids file would report bids received and highest bid received for each
player in the auction. Email requests for status would receive a dated
copy of this file.

Once the auction is done, the collection phase would begin. A time limit
on collections could be set, to receive all moneys two weeks of the end of
bidding. Bidders with problems sending in money must find a surrogate who
can send in the money for them so that play is not delayed. If moneys are
not received in time, the next bidder in line would be asked, and so on.

Buybacks would be collected at the same time. If the next bidder in line
is required (hence the high bid would be lowered), then the player would
get a refund of the difference. The same time limit would be imposed for
buybacks as for the receipt of bidder money.

An auctioneer would take responsibility for receiving bids and reporting
bid statuses. A banker would take responsibility for depositing and then
distributing Calcutta money. Bidders and people who want to watch would
email to the auctioneer that they are interested, along with their email
and postal addresses.

If the Calcutta auction is limited to eight players, then the problems of
collecting and paying out money is limited to a maximum of sixteen people.

An automatic system to receive bids and to answer requests for bids made
and highest bids would be nice, but not needed if we limit the auction.

Comments on this scheme are of course very welcome.

Cheers,

Lev Mendelson

Oct 24, 1994, 2:01:20 PM10/24/94
Frank.B...@launchpad.unc.edu (Frank Bommarito) writes:

>>Anthony R Wuersch (a...@world.std.com) wrote:
>>: It's time to discuss a Calcutta Auction for the final 8. For, against?
>>: How much buyback is usual? Could payments be trusted? How would bidding
>>: be done? Lots of fun questions.
>>

>I agree with Kit - We should wait until the next tourney. It is not only
>important to get the ground rules down. But - it is equally important to
>sort out some of the following issues:

Can somebody explain, what Calcutta Auction is? I have no idea! :(

Lev Mendelson (lev on FIBS)

Anthony R Wuersch

Oct 25, 1994, 10:24:22 PM10/25/94
In article <38gspg$k...@uropax.contrib.de>,

Lev Mendelson <l...@uropax.contrib.de> wrote:
>Can somebody explain, what Calcutta Auction is? I have no idea! :(

Calcutta Auction is a way for people to bet on who will win the tournament.
Traditionally, it is done at the beginning of the tournament, or at some
point where a final eight or sixteen players are left.

Auction happens before rounds start. An auctioneer who runs the auction
goes down the list of players one by one, asking who wants to bid on each
player. Each person who bids highest for a player pays money into a fund.

This "Calcutta" fund is won by the person whose player wins the tournament.

My proposal for the FIBS tournament is a simple auction for the top eight
remaining in the main flight of the tournament, with funds going to the
backer of the winning player, or to the backer/s of the 2 top players.

A buyback would also be offered to players. That is, each player bid
for in the auction may pay up to some percentage of the total money bid
for that player, in exchange for an equally proportionate share of the
Calcutta winnings.

The contribution of the backer of a player to the fund would be reduced
by the buyback amount, if the player buys back.

Calcutta auctions often take place in larger tournaments. The bidding
and auctioning process is a lot of fun.

Patti Beadles

Oct 25, 1994, 11:24:38 AM10/25/94

Why not just do it online? Have the auctioneer start an unlimited
match with someone, bidders watch and kibitz.

Timezones are a problem, but one could have designated bidders or
pre-bidding.
--
Patti Beadles |
pat...@netcom.com | Most of my friends are

Stephen Turner

Nov 1, 1994, 8:08:09 AM11/1/94
In article <Cy37H...@world.std.com>, a...@world.std.com (Anthony R Wuersch) writes:
|> It's time to discuss a Calcutta Auction for the final 8. For, against?
|> How much buyback is usual? Could payments be trusted? How would bidding
|> be done? Lots of fun questions.

And can we do it in pounds instead of dollars for a change?

Stephen R. E. Turner
Stochastic Networks Group, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
e-mail: sr...@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/home.html
Sale! 1/3 off! Example: Price #6 You Pay #4 You Save #2! (Shop in Cambridge)