Name of this Backgammon-like game?

Danne

Dec 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/16/95
I posted this on r.g.board a few days ago, but I was probably too tired
to notice that I was thinking of Backgammon, NOT Othello, when comparing
these two games.

I'm posting the "corrected version" here, but from all the answers
I got (thanks to each and every one of you!!!) I think the name of
the game is "Acey-Deucey"... If anyone else has something to add,
please do!

I'd ve very thankful if someone could email and/or post the complete
rules for "Acey Deucey", its history and so on.

//Daniel

--- corrected re-post:
A friend of mine got this board game she got from her father when he
was on UN-duty somewhere in Saudi Arabia. I don't know if it's an
arabic game or not, but she has been told it is called 'Tric Trac'
(Trick Track?).

The layout reminds me somewhat of Backgammon, but there are a few
differences in the game play.

There are always two players playing against eachother. Two dices are
used and each player has a set of round chips that you are supposed to
get to the opposite side of the board.

When both dices show the same amount, you have twice that amount to
move around with.
If you get the combination 1 & 2 you must move 1 step, then 2, then
you can move any value between 1 & 6 twice, and you are allowed to
throw the dices once more.

The game is mostly strategic, but the dice-throwing adds a little
randomizing to who is going to win.

When all chips are on the opposite side of the board, you must
"throw out" all your chips by throwing the dices, and then remove the
chips standing on the according positions.

layout:

-------------------------------------
MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ | \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ | /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
-------------------------------------

/\
MM
MM
Note: the MM is supposed to be the triangle-
shaped figures, very similar to the "Backgammon"-triangles.

//Daniel

PS. Please respond via Email or both News- & Email since I can't
scan this group very frequently.

Stephen T MacGregor

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
Tajpis lastatempe Danne jene:

>I posted this on r.g.board a few days ago, but I was probably too tired
>to notice that I was thinking of Backgammon, NOT Othello, when comparing
>these two games.

>-------------------------------------

>MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
>MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
>MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
>\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ | \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
> |

>/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ | /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
>MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
>MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
>MM MM MM MM MM MM | MM MM MM MM MM MM
>-------------------------------------

The game is "Backgammon" -- "Tric-trac" is the French name.
The name "Acey-Deucey" may refer to an optional rule (which a friend
mine and I used when playing the game in college back in the late '60s):
if you role an acey-deucey (1-2), and are able to use it, you may then
choose any double you want and play it, and if you are able to use all of
the double, you may roll again. But if you throw three acey-deucies in
one turn, you lose your most advanced stone to the bar and your opponent
gets to use the acey-deucey.

I know everything; I just can't remember it all at once.

David Holmes

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
snip

>Tajpis lastatempe Danne jene:

> The game is "Backgammon" -- "Tric-trac" is the French name.
> The name "Acey-Deucey" may refer to an optional rule (which a friend

snip

Acey Deucy is not an optional rule, but a different game using Backgammon
pieces. All pieces start off the board. You roll to bring them on in your
opponents home area. The game then works like backgammon except for the
acey-ducey rule described. Also, I believe you have to roll the exact number
to get your men back off the board.

David C. Holmes The views expressed by the author are
Texas Instruments not necessarily those of TI. The
Plano, TX views expressed by TI are not
David....@dlep1.itg.ti.com necessarily those of the author.

John_Da...@cup.portal.com

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
Acey-Deucey is a complete variant, with several rule changes from regular
backgammon:

1. All pieces start off the board. They enter as if they were on the bar,
but you don't have to enter them all before you can start moving them.
However, you can't move past your opponent's 12 point (that is, onto your
own side of the board) until you have entered them all.

(Men which are "hit" go to the bar and must be entered before you do
anything else, just as in regular backgammon. Therefore, they are treated
separately from men which have not been entered.)

2. If you roll doubles, AND use all four of the moves, you get an extra
turn immediately.

3. If you roll 1-2 ("acey-deucey"), AND use both moves, you may then
choose any "doubles" roll, and continue as if you had rolled THAT,
including the possibility of an extra turn as above.

There is NO LIMIT on how many times you can do either or both of #2 and #3
in succession. Thus, no matter how far ahead the other guy gets, it is
always possible to win the game. Which, I think, is the whole point of
this variant.

4. Men must be "borne off" by exact count; that is, if all your men are
on your own 1, 2, and 3 points, you can't use a "6" at all.

John David Galt