BG

s.w.a....@hccnet.nl

Sep 29, 2002, 11:37:48 AM9/29/02
Good Morning Fellow Students,

In various media I have read that approximately 30% of Barclay Cooke's
solutions in his book "Paradoxes and Propabilities" are wrong. Is
there an article on line that deals with this in detail ? Thanks.

Regards,
Peter van Arkel

PS sorry if this message enters the premises more than once, I am new
at this newsgroup stuff

Back4U2 BBL

Sep 29, 2002, 11:57:38 AM9/29/02

<s.w.a....@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

> Good Morning Fellow Students,
>
> In various media I have read that approximately 30% of Barclay Cooke's
> solutions in his book "Paradoxes and Propabilities" are wrong. Is
> there an article on line that deals with this in detail ? Thanks.

You can check it out by yourself:
http://www.bgblitz.com/download.html

(and the Position-Databases are full featured in the freeware version)

Louis Nardy Pillards

s.w.a....@hccnet.nl

Sep 29, 2002, 3:51:17 PM9/29/02

>> In various media I have read that approximately 30% of Barclay Cooke's
>> solutions in his book "Paradoxes and Propabilities" are wrong. Is
>> there an article on line that deals with this in detail ? Thanks.
>
>You can check it out by yourself:
>http://www.bgblitz.com/download.html
>
>(and the Position-Databases are full featured in the freeware version)
>
>Louis Nardy Pillards

Hi Louis,

Uhh....I recently downloaded that program, but as far as I can see it
only contains a database with Tim Holland's answers versus Jellyfish's
answers to a series of positions.
Please enlighten ?

Kind Regards,
Peter van Arkel

Hank Youngerman

Sep 29, 2002, 7:13:47 PM9/29/02

You might look at Jeremy Bagai's new (and excellent) book "Classic
Backgammon Revisited."

Frank Berger

Sep 30, 2002, 4:39:39 AM9/30/02
Am Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:37:48 +0200, hat s.w.a....@hccnet.nl geschrieben:

> Good Morning Fellow Students,
>
> In various media I have read that approximately 30% of Barclay Cooke's
> solutions in his book "Paradoxes and Propabilities" are wrong. Is
> there an article on line that deals with this in detail ? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Peter van Arkel
You might look at BGBlitz (http://www.bgblitz.com). On its downloadpage is a database with rollouts of all positions from "Paradoxes and Propabilities".Some other
interisting databases are there too.

Frank Berger

Sep 30, 2002, 4:45:21 AM9/30/02
Am Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:51:17 +0200, hat s.w.a....@hccnet.nl geschrieben:
Hi Peter,
in the installer is just Hollands "Beter Backgammon" as an example database. At http://www.bgblitz.com/download.html you find:
Cooke: "Paradoxes and Propabilities"
Dwek: "Backgammon for Profit"
Woolsey/Heinrich: "New Ideas in Backgammon"
Kulseth: "Quiz from Oslo Open 1999"
and the quizzes from Webby's Backgammon site.

enjoy
Frank

P.S. as Nardy already pointed out, this is fully functional in the free version

gary powrie

Sep 30, 2002, 4:12:33 AM9/30/02
Red...@RedTopBG.com (Hank Youngerman) wrote in message news:<3d97890a....@news.charter.net>...
can anyone tell me where to find a game of bg against the computer.

s.w.a....@hccnet.nl

Sep 30, 2002, 11:42:48 AM9/30/02

Thanks to all people who posted suggestions in regards to Barclay
Cooke game research.

Regards,
Peter van Arkel

"Trolls can smell the rainbows, trolls can smell the stars ... Trolls
can smell the dreams you dreamed before you were ever born.
Come close to me and I'll eat your life."
-- Neil Gaiman

Frank Berger

Sep 30, 2002, 6:20:19 PM9/30/02
Am 30 Sep 2002 01:12:33 -0700, hat garyp...@hotmail.com (gary powrie) geschrieben:

BGBlitz (http://www.bgblitz.com) is good (naturally I'm biased), GNU is good. Depending on your expectation Jellyfish may fit. Snowie is strong but expensive.
You can find links at www.back-gammon.com

ciao
frank

Jive Dadson

Oct 8, 2002, 11:00:20 PM10/8/02

I was playing BG for a living when that book came out. I and a couple
of other players had a field day playing propositions with people who
thought if it was in print it must be true. I remember one guy who was
playing the wrong side of one of those props becoming rather irritated
and saying, "You're just winning because you're a better player than
me." How could he reach such a conclusion without also drawing the
conclusion that my understanding of the proposition was also better?
The only way was to assume that the opinions of the writer were better
than mine -- because he wrote a book.

That's not the only book that was good for prop bets. Remember that
backgammon was a big craze, so publishers wanted to rush into print with
backgammon books.

nikos albanopoulos

Oct 9, 2002, 11:35:42 AM10/9/02
Perhaps it has already been answered or perhaps you are not interested
in books (you ask about online articles). But just in case you don't
know it and may be useful to you, Jeremy Bagai's "Classic Backgammon
Revisited" deals with the mistakes of Cooke's "Paradoxes..." (as well
with these of 4 more classic books.)
Nikos

s.w.a....@hccnet.nl

Oct 11, 2002, 4:10:31 AM10/11/02
On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:35:42 +0300, nikos albanopoulos
<nika...@yahoo.gr> wrote:

>Perhaps it has already been answered or perhaps you are not interested
>in books (you ask about online articles). But just in case you don't
>know it and may be useful to you, Jeremy Bagai's "Classic Backgammon
>Revisited" deals with the mistakes of Cooke's "Paradoxes..." (as well
>with these of 4 more classic books.)
>Nikos

Thanks Nikos, but this was answered last week in various ways. I am
working my way through Cooke's book with BGBlitz on the side. I find
it interesting.
Greg Dadson mentioned in another email that even at the time of
publication it was clear that certain proposals were way off. I agree.
I never took Cooke's books as the holy bible, but he gave more insight
in the background of game play than most of the contemporary
literature, and I think he influenced my play to some extent, It is,
almost two decades later, interesting to look back at where we all
went wrong .

Regards,
Peter van Arkel