yahoo games

Steve Fiete

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Yahoo now has a games area which includes backgammon. It should work with
any java-enabled browser. It's free of charge, and free of lag as far as I
have experienced. However, it lacks some important features. The biggest one
is that it does not recognize the crawford rule. Another, is that you don't
"pick up your dice". As soon as you have moved your entire roll, your
opponent can roll for his turn. Despite these drawbacks, I'll play there on
a bad fibs lag day.

If yahoo fixes these things it should be an excellent server for bg. Some
will think it an advantage that there are multiple "game rooms" (I think so
anyway). There are two social lounges, an intermediate lounge, and an
advanced lounge.

--
Steve Fiete
sfi...@ix.netcom.com

Marie1948

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

>Another, is that you don't
>"pick up your dice". As soon as you have moved your entire roll, your
>opponent can roll for his turn.

I've played a few games at Yahoo.
You can undo a turn, but you have to do it before your
opponent rolls.
It's not a bad place to play. Much quieter than FIBS, as you
don't see shouts, game reports, or log ins/outs.
And yes, I KNOW you can toggle these on FIBS. :)

Rodrigo Andrade

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

> The biggest one
> is that it does not recognize the crawford rule. Another, is that you don't

> "pick up your dice". As soon as you have moved your entire roll, your
> opponent can roll for his turn.

All Java backgammon games do that. FunCom and PlaySite have the same problem. It
sucks!!!

Rodrigo.

Dan Frank

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

Subject: Re: yahoo games

>> The biggest one is that it does not recognize the crawford rule.

>> All Java backgammon games do that. FunCom and PlaySite have the same problem.

IRONY: software defficiencies compensate BG-tournament rules defficiency!

The Crawford convention is only an awkward botch, but no one seem willing to reject
it, less because it's opportune and more because he is used to it, since he plays
tournament BG.

(For more see former postings, incl. commentary to Kit Woolsey's posting to this
subject - found in DejaNew or Backgammon Gallore.)

--
Dan Frank

editor & publisher of ESSENTIAL BACKGAMMON

e...@yahoo-inc.com

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

In article <35158901.49042F3C@_R_E_M_O_V_E_wt.net>,

Rodrigo Andrade <candrade@_R_E_M_O_V_E_wt.net> wrote:

> > The biggest one
> > is that it does not recognize the crawford rule. Another, is that you
don't
> > "pick up your dice". As soon as you have moved your entire roll, your
> > opponent can roll for his turn.
>
> All Java backgammon games do that. FunCom and PlaySite have the same
problem. It
> sucks!!!
>
> Rodrigo.

We have upgraded our software to support the Crawford rule now.
Let me know if it works ok.

BTW, I'm the engineer for Yahoo! Games. Anyone here should feel free to send
me an email if you have problems with the backgammon game at Yahoo!.

-eron