New MSG Game: Gyre

marks...@gmail.com

May 13, 2015, 10:50:13 PM5/13/15
Gyre: http://www.marksteeregames.com/Gyre_rules.pdf

Gyre came to me years ago and for some reason I didn't release it. I may have suspected Gyre vulnerable to first turn advantage because, as in many games, center cell ownership confers an advantage. And I may have thought the pie rule insufficient to balance the game. But I recently revisited Gyre and toyed with it on a base 5 board - using the pie rule. Note: I haven't actually play tested Gyre in the usual sense of playing on a larger board and concentrating on one's moves. Btw, people have complained to me about my releasing games without having play tested them first. I made them waste their precious time playing my (free) game only to realize it wasn't what they expected. How absurd. As though I have a moral obligation to spoon feed greedy retards. If you're so fearful of wasting a precious moment of your beautiful life playtesting my game, fuck off.

Anyway, it seems to me, from my cursory perusal of Gyre gameplay, that the pie rule may even out the game. I.e. there should be equitable first moves available. Just as in Hex, first move values will be more finely graded and more equitable on larger boards.

If Gyre does turn out to have some issue, I'm sure someone will gleefully point it out. I don't expect to hear from Nick though. He's been pretty busy crusading to dispel black stereotypes. And who better to represent black people than Nick Bentley. [?] Of course he's in cahoots with Joe, who believes that "we're all the same" because, on a scale of modern primates, humans are all squished together. Not super complimentary. Like, "We're practically equal because you're a lot different from a lower primate." Gee, thanks...

Gyre is kind of Hex-like, kind of Y-like. Kind of. They're remotely similar. But the Gyre board is super clean. Absent are the colored edges of Hex and the orientation they mandate. Absent are the corner cells of Y and the pre-designated perimeter segments they demarcate. Gyre obviates all that by making the center cell "something to surround." There's more freedom in Gyre.

There are no missing board cells or any other aesthetic Hiroshimas in Gyre. There's no math. When somebody wins you know it. Check your calculator at the door.

Gyre is super simple. So simple that I'm a little worried someone else already thought of it. Yet I have hope because there's only one me.

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://www.marksteeregames.com

raidin...@gmail.com

May 14, 2015, 7:44:25 AM5/14/15
If I understand the rules correctly, Gyre may have some resemblance to Mark Thompson's Gaia, although the two games are certainly not identical. Gaia was described in Cameron Browne's book Connection Games. There's also a Zillions zrf to play it, but unfortunately it has no AI.

Steve

marks...@gmail.com

May 15, 2015, 12:36:13 PM5/15/15
Gaia and Gyre are two different solutions to the same problem. Gaia relies on a gimmick, placing two stones in one turn on opposite edge cells, a concept Mark Thompson borrowed from earlier games. There's also Gaia's gratuitously stylized board. Simplicity is everything in this narrow class of games.

Luis Bolaños Mures

May 15, 2015, 6:56:07 PM5/15/15
As I understand it, this is Free Y with the provision that a tied game (impossible in that game thanks to the odd number of perimeter cells) is considered a win for the player who occupies the center cell.

I wonder if it would just be preferable to allow the occasional race by awarding the win to the player who made the "winning" chain first in those cases. After all, being the first to occupy the center cell is also a race, and one that the first player always wins (without the pie rule), which means that the first player advantage is necessarily larger here.

raidin...@gmail.com

May 15, 2015, 7:58:25 PM5/15/15
Where can I find the rules for Free Y? A Google search yielded nothing.

marks...@gmail.com

May 16, 2015, 2:24:16 AM5/16/15

Free Y is basically equivalent to Begird (http://www.marksteeregames.com/Begird_rules.pdf). The only difference is that Begird uses "islands" of various lengths, including single cell islands, and Free Y only has single cell islands.

Luis said:

> As I understand it,

I'm not sure if you do, Luis. Twice you mentioned occupying the center cell which is neither necessary nor sufficient to win at Gyre, as is readily apparent from Figures 1 and 4.

> this is Free Y with the provision that a tied game (impossible in
> that game thanks to the odd number of perimeter cells) is considered
> a win for the player who occupies the center cell.

That's like saying a bird is a monkey with wings and feathers. As I said, it's a narrow class of games. I.e., they're going to have a lot in common.

These games solve a problem, which is something like* "What geometric principals can we use to divvy up the perimeter and prevent draws. Y, Free Y, and Begird use boards with an odd number of perimeter cells. Problem solved, but in a blue collar way. It's the easy way out, and there's a price. Aesthetic ding for the eccentric and triangular boards.

On a regular hex hex board, you have to find other, more creative ways to prevent draws. Atoll (http://www.marksteeregames.com/Atoll_rules.pdf), of which Hex is but a special case, uses colored edge segments. Gaia uses double, opposite edge placements to fill in the perimeter (effectively creating irregular, colored edges). Gyre requires you to surround the center.

> I wonder if it would just be preferable to allow the occasional race...

Not to me. It's all about the geometry. Not racing. That's what Havannah's for. But, if you are into racing (ding) and you don't care about draws (ding), you could eliminate the center cell (ding) from Gyre.

> without the pie rule

That's a pretty big "without"! The pie rule is an essential, if homely, workhorse in innumerable games, including Hex and Y. What the pie rule lacks in elegance it makes up for in utility.

If Gyre is reasonable balanced by the pie rule, then "if it works don't fix it."

*Lariat (http://www.marksteeregames.com/Lariat_rules.pdf) should be mentioned in a discussion of simple connection games. It's more of a concept than a game, due to first turn advantage, but its simplicity is unparalleled. "Form a path that surrounds the center and connects to an edge." Boom. No "such that's," "alternatively's", or "half the perimeter's" of Free Y. Perimeter distances are irrelevant in Lariat. The winning path need only touch the perimeter in one place. Simple just got simpler. Bill Taylor laughably proclaimed Free Y the world's "simplest game" while knowing about Lariat.

I feel like I've forgotten to insult someone... Don't worry. It'll come to me.

Luis Bolaños Mures

May 16, 2015, 6:42:04 AM5/16/15
Mark said:
> Luis said:
>
> > As I understand it,
>
> I'm not sure if you do, Luis. Twice you mentioned occupying the center cell which is neither necessary nor sufficient to win at Gyre, as is readily apparent from Figures 1 and 4.

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that playing Free Y on a hexhex board and considering ties as wins for the player who occupies the center cell yields Gyre. Of course you don't need to occupy the center cell if your winning chain is a win in Free Y as well, which should be most of the time.

Mark said:

> Luis said:
>
> > this is Free Y with the provision that a tied game (impossible in
> > that game thanks to the odd number of perimeter cells) is considered
> > a win for the player who occupies the center cell.
>
> That's like saying a bird is a monkey with wings and feathers. As I said, it's a narrow class of games. I.e., they're going to have a lot in common.

That's true, and Gyre is a legitimate contribution to that class.

Luis Bolaños Mures

May 16, 2015, 6:48:29 AM5/16/15
El sábado, 16 de mayo de 2015, 1:58:25 (UTC+2), raidin...@gmail.com escribió:
> Where can I find the rules for Free Y? A Google search yielded nothing.

I found them by searching in this group. Here's the link:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.abstract/free$20y/rec.games.abstract/kzWw8FUbG08/7NMmASWwitIJ

marks...@gmail.com

May 16, 2015, 10:19:52 AM5/16/15
On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 3:42:04 AM UTC-7, Luis Bolaños Mures wrote:

> What I'm saying (please correct me if I'm wrong)...

Happy to oblige, Luis. You're wrong. Or, I should say, still wrong.

> ...is that playing Free Y on a hexhex board and considering ties as
> wins for the player who occupies the center cell yields Gyre.

Nope. You could be tied at hex hex Free Y, occupy the center cell, and lose at Gyre. You could also be tied at hex hex Free Y, with an enemy stone on the center cell, and win at Gyre.

Anything else? Believe it or not, there's more to Gyre than winning the coin toss, placing a stone on the center cell, and proclaiming victory.

Luis Bolaños Mures

May 16, 2015, 10:44:55 AM5/16/15
El sábado, 16 de mayo de 2015, 16:19:52 (UTC+2), marks...@gmail.com escribió:
> On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 3:42:04 AM UTC-7, Luis Bolaños Mures wrote:
> >
> > What I'm saying (please correct me if I'm wrong)...
>
> Happy to oblige, Luis. You're wrong. Or, I should say, still wrong.
>
> > ...is that playing Free Y on a hexhex board and considering ties as
> > wins for the player who occupies the center cell yields Gyre.
>
> Nope. You could be tied at hex hex Free Y, occupy the center cell, and lose at Gyre. You could also be tied at hex hex Free Y, with an enemy stone on the center cell, and win at Gyre.

Oh, right. I was assuming that the center cell was occupied by one of the tied chains, which of course needn't be the case.

http://gc1.iggamecenter.com/gm.php?sid=564651&place=2&lang=es

Here there are two tied chains and blue loses despite having occupied the center cell.

Interesting.

marks...@gmail.com

May 16, 2015, 10:49:27 AM5/16/15
> Interesting.

Thanks :)

Moh Bel

May 17, 2015, 9:16:05 AM5/17/15
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 10:50:13 PM UTC-4, marks...@gmail.com wrote:
Good game! Elegant! Drawless! Simple! Easy to learn! But? Here is the big BUT! What about the gameplay?
My hope is that Gyre will not add up to other boring games.
Let us test it!
Sometimes game designers focus on the rules the elegancy and other things but forget the core of the game : fun!
If a game is not funny it will be buried quickly.

marks...@gmail.com

May 17, 2015, 11:28:07 AM5/17/15
Thanks Moh. Gyre probably won't be fun to play, but if you want to give it a try, I can play you at iggamecenter using the sandbox.

Moh Bel

May 17, 2015, 12:53:59 PM5/17/15
On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:28:07 AM UTC-4, marks...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Moh. Gyre probably won't be fun to play, but if you want to give it a try, I can play you at iggamecenter using the sandbox.

I do not know if the game is funny.
When I say funny I mean for the majority of the players.
I could find it funny but is it for the majority of the players?
I do not know how to use the sandbox (at iggamecenter).
For now I`m still very ill.
So no play no headache.
I read the news I explore the art galleries (because I love sepecially the sculpture art and the architecture) I read the forums facebook ans twitter (maths art litterature games science politics chessgames and so on).
From time to time I play chess against the computer.

Moh Bel

May 17, 2015, 12:57:31 PM5/17/15
On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:28:07 AM UTC-4, marks...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Moh. Gyre probably won't be fun to play, but if you want to give it a try, I can play you at iggamecenter using the sandbox.

Another aspect of the game to worry for is that once you build a winning game your opponent have no mean to reverse it and hence will abandon sooner.
I like the games where you could change the game direction until the last moves.

Moh Bel

May 17, 2015, 1:00:07 PM5/17/15
On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:28:07 AM UTC-4, marks...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Moh. Gyre probably won't be fun to play, but if you want to give it a try, I can play you at iggamecenter using the sandbox.

I play chess against computer here :
http://www.shredderchess.com/play-chess-online.html

I play hard + black.
When I take the white I often win.
I experiment many ideas at the same time.

marks...@gmail.com

May 17, 2015, 3:19:05 PM5/17/15
The sandbox is a board with no rules. I.e., you can move wherever you want. People use it to test new game ideas. Nice feature of iggc. I'm going there now to see if I can strike up a game.

marks...@gmail.com

May 17, 2015, 4:05:46 PM5/17/15
Moh, let's play here. Our game will only be one data point, but one data point can be informative.

# 0
---
. . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .

marks...@gmail.com

May 17, 2015, 4:29:13 PM5/17/15
Let me put some coordinates on that

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
G . . . . . . . . . . . . .
H . . . . . . . . . . . .
I . . . . . . . . . . .
J . . . . . . . . . .
K . . . . . . . . .
L . . . . . . . .
M . . . . . . .

Moh Bel

May 17, 2015, 5:19:52 PM5/17/15
The problem is that I told that I`m still ill so headache for now.
More than that I`m not always on my computer.
Today is sunny day so I stay mainly in the backyard smoking and watching squirrels birds and butterflies.
I use Excel to test games.
It is better.

marks...@gmail.com

May 17, 2015, 5:22:13 PM5/17/15
Ok, well the board is there if anyone wants to play Gyre.

Moh Bel

May 18, 2015, 8:45:57 AM5/18/15
On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 5:22:13 PM UTC-4, marks...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ok, well the board is there if anyone wants to play Gyre.

Hi Mark,

I have another fear.
The game is maybe easy to solve.
I mean the winning strategy is somewhat tricky.
Either you "surround" your opponent either he surrounds you.
The best way to win is to play "sparse". As you are the first player you will have hudge advantage.
To understand what I want to say you simulate the game by playing randomly.
My first thoughts for now.
Not deep but some sort of sketch.
I think that with little AI no human player can beat a computer.
Good luck to you anyway.

Moh Bel

May 18, 2015, 9:46:25 AM5/18/15
On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 5:22:13 PM UTC-4, marks...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ok, well the board is there if anyone wants to play Gyre.

If you want to have a confirmation of the existence of winning strategy post your game Gyre here :

- Forum projecteuler
or forum xkcd puzzles
or AoPS forum "combinatorics"

you will surely find some graph theorist interested. I think that the problem is not hard to solve.

I wish you good luck.

Moh (Hazen)

marks...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 6:25:03 PM5/21/15
Moe (Hazen) wrote:

> I have another fear.
> The game is maybe easy to solve.
> I mean the winning strategy is somewhat tricky.
> Either you "surround" your opponent either he surrounds you.
> The best way to win is to play "sparse". As you are the first player
> you will have hudge advantage.

Hi Hazen,

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting analysis. If Player 1 is allowed to claim the center cell, i.e. no pie rule, I think he could win by mirroring all of Player 2's moves after that. I'm sure there would be a huge first turn advantage without the pie rule. What the pie rule attempts to do is to convert a huge first move advantage into a small second turn advantage. The tradeoff is that Player 1 has to make a crappy enough first move that it it doesn't matter if Player 2 invokes the pie rule or not. If Player 2 doesn't invoke the pie rule, Player 1 continues to lead by a half turn, but has made a half crappy first move to compensate for this advantage.

The pie rule works in Hex, and I believe it would work in Gyre, but that's only my guess.

> To understand what I want to say you simulate the game by
> playing randomly.
> My first thoughts for now.
> Not deep but some sort of sketch.
> I think that with little AI no human player can beat a computer.
> Good luck to you anyway.

I filled the board randomly with stones three times, just to test the geometric principle and to see what I could discover. Of course it works, and the winning paths were kind of tortuous, not as direct as in the rule sheet diagrams.
I'll check in with them in a couple weeks. Starting a new hobby. Remote control helicopters.

I'll make the first move. Let's play out a couple of moves just to see what happens.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
G . . . . . # . . . . . . .
H . . . . . . . . . . . .
I . . . . . . . . . . .
J . . . . . . . . . .
K . . . . . . . . .
L . . . . . . . .
M . . . . . . .

marks...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 8:28:05 PM6/9/15
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
G . . . . . # 0 . . . . . .
H . . . . . . . . . . . .
I . . . . . . . . . . .
J . . . . . . . . . .
K . . . . . . . . .
L . . . . . . . .
M . . . . . . .

Maybe I'll play

marks...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 8:39:45 PM6/9/15
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
G . . . . . # 0 . . . . . .
H . . . . . # . . . . . .
I . . . . . . . . . . .
J . . . . . . . . . .
K . . . . . . . . .
L . . . . . . . .
M . . . . . . .

...play against myself. Just like old times when I was talking to myself here.

marks...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 9:12:08 PM6/9/15
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
G . . . . . # 0 . . . . . .
H . . . . . # 0 . . . . .

marks...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 9:24:57 PM6/9/15
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . # . . . . . . 13

marks...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 10:04:43 PM6/9/15
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . # . . . . . . 13
G . . . . . # 0 . . . . . .
H . . . . . # 0 . . . . .
I . . . . . 0 . . . . .

marks...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 10:35:07 PM6/9/15
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . # . . . . . . 13
G . . . . . # 0 . . . . . .
H . . . . . # 0 . . . . .
I . . . . # 0 . . . . .
J . . . . . . . . . .
K . . . . . . . . .
L . . . . . . . .
M . . . . . . .

Seems like black might have the advantage here, at least the way I'm playing. Maybe that first move was too good.

marks...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 11:36:01 PM6/9/15
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A . . . . . . . 8
B . . . . . . . . 9
C . . . . . . . . . 10
D . . . . . . . . . . 11
E . . . . . . . . . . . 12
F . . . . . # 0 . . . . . 13
G . . . . . # 0 . . . . . .
H . . . . . # 0 . . . . .
I . . . . # 0 . . . . .
J . . . . . . . . . .
K . . . . . . . . .
L . . . . . . . .
M . . . . . . .

Actually, no. I guess white wins this. Hmmmm...

Friendly Neighbourhood Vote Wrangler Emeritus, DoW #1

Sep 30, 2016, 3:00:02 AM9/30/16
Time to spin the kooks up again. Melt, kooks, melt. <snicker>

Some pencil-necked ass-kicked half-witted moron tried and yet again failed
to forge his Usenet Lord and Master the Friendly Neighborhood Vote Wrangler
Emeritus, DoW #1, in <f837b591-e392-4227...@googlegroups.com>
and fell into the wood clipperz:
--

Remember this, Sister Fister?

"I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 model camera 6.0 Megapixels and 12x
zoom with an in-camera microphone along with a Velbon tripod."
So at least we know what equipment you used to take piccies of yer
sister's tits. Even went to the trouble of setting up a tripod, eh?
Professional. LOL

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.nerd.obsessive/K84e5-
h4130/Fs1OgPJsbQcJ
"There is OBVIOUSLY something you want to tell us, cain. Someone
mentions the word "sister-fister" on this newsgroup and you just
couldn't keep yourself from responding and making an ass out of
yourself once again"

DinkleFail copyrights his last name, so he can get exclusive rights to
his sisterporn movies:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.sport.pro-
wrestling/lYhkOsZCFLs/dG4igl8F81gJ
"This is to announce that heanceforth no one is allowed to use the
Cain family name in usenet except myself, Alex Cain, the one and
only."

Dinkle McSisterFister starts a poll:
Subject: [POLL] Ever see your sister naked?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/a-
zCK84hSFk/VkmjRYDmzikJ

https://web.archive.org/web/20040820191757/http://www.insurgent.org/~kook-
faq/dink/index.html
"IRL, Dink has two younger sisters. Some of his more disturbing
comments about them include his boasts to Richard Bullis (see #22) of
having seen both of them naked. While it would be overly critical to
suggest that children of a similar age in a family don't see each
other nude on occassion (most readers with close siblings will
probably have shared a few baths in their childhood), bragging about
it to an unquestionably proven pedophile certainly suggests a dramatic
lack of judgement, if nothing else."

Dink wasn't talking about seeing his sisters naked as a child... he
was talking about what happened that day. LOL

Durh-de-duuurrrrhhh!
http://i.imgur.com/N8LIJit.jpg
https://web.archive.org/web/20040820191757im_/http://www.insurgent.org/~kook
-faq/dink/images/logo.gif

Mama Cain always said "put the plastic sheets on the bed before you
pop your sister's cherry".

Dink fucks his sister:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.pizza.delivery.drivers/QdqCP4
jxadM/YEZmAbdIZF4J

Dink fucking his sister:
http://goo.gl/VsDhDm
Note the short strokes. LOL

And now, just to rub salt in the loser's wounds:
He is a fat ugly inbred racist piece of jobless redneck trash.
He is 5 foot 3.
He is 40 years old and *still* doesn't have a car or job.
He has been molested by every male member of his family, dog included.
He perpetually fails out of college, which his poor mother pays for.
He masturbates to pictures of Chad Bryant, Emmett Gulley and his
sister.

"My I.Q. is in the 170 + range. I am, for all intensive purposes, a
creative genius."
Alex Cain mistakes his weekly gay midget porn masturbation frequency
as his IQ: <1559b599.0203...@posting.google.com>

For all intents and purposes, DinkleTard is an idiot who can't even
properly use the term "for all intents and purposes".

Especially like this blurb:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.sport.pro-
wrestling/lYhkOsZCFLs/dG4igl8F81gJ
"Since I know that one day I will be a millionaire, I want no one
claiming to be related to me so that they may atempt to use my good
family name for their profit and gain."

15 years on and Bwahahahaaaa!
How'd that work out for you, Dink The Indigent?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.sport.pro-
wrestling/pqZB4HA1cUk/6Az2p0tUbcEJ
"I will be more successful than you could ever hope to be."

How'd that work out for ya, DinkleFailure? LOL

"I will have to go all the way to California, because that's where the
heart of the movie industry lies. I will be able to fully utilize my
creative abilities."

How'd *that* work out for ya, DinkleLoser? LOL

"Hopefully, I'll find this out within the next 2-3 years."

You never even left your momma's basement, let alone Georgia... poor
loserly Dink D. SisterFister will never make it to Hollywood, let
alone make it *in* Hollywood. LOL

"While it's currently on the sidelines, I still indeed have an
interest in entering the professional wrestling field"

Midget wrestling. LOL

> You have NO chance in the world.
"Yes, I do"

No. You don't. You're the failure known as Alex Cain. LOL
You're Emmett, with a mother who gives at least one shit about her
sprog. But when she's gone... you're Emmett. Mooch the money for a
tent off yer mama while you still can.

"When I think back
on all the tit photos in high school
It's a wonder
I could fap at all
Because my sister's tits are sagging, but
That don't stop me none
To get hard I punch myself in the balls.

JaaawwwwJuhhhChrome
They give me the nice fap photos
Sag-tits and herpes camel-toes
It makes me think all the girls
Are a wank away, oh yeah
I got a redneck sister
I love to take tit photographs
So mama, don't take my JaaawwwwJuhhhChrome away"

<snicker>

Luis Bolaños Mures

Jul 12, 2017, 7:19:34 AM7/12/17
Here's an equivalent way of formulating the Gyre rules:

"The perimeter cells and the single central cell of the hexhex board are designated as star cells.

"The game ends when there is a set of connected cells occupied by stones of the same color such that no set of connected cells outside of it includes a majority of star cells. The owner of the stones in the former set wins. Draws are not possible, and a board full of stones produces exactly one winner."

This allows for easy generalization: the game works with any odd number of star cells in any distribution. Seven star cells (the six corners plus the center cell) looks like a natural choice to me. Of course, three star cells on the corners of the Y board yields Y.

Also: turn star cells into movable neutral objects and you'll get a (hopefully interesting) Veletas-Gyre mix.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted