Vancouver, B.C.: hate crime capital of North America

risky biz

May 13, 2021, 1:28:10 PM5/13/21
'With more anti-Asian hate crimes than 10 of the most populous U.S. cities combined in 2020, Vancouver has reportedly become the “Anti-Asian Hate Crime Capital of North America.”

A feature article from Bloomberg looked into police figures collected by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism (CSHE) at Cal State San Bernardino.

What’s going on: Vancouver documented a total of 98 anti-Asian hate crimes in 2020, an eightfold increase from the previous year. This is more than triple the figure reported in New York (28), which recorded the most of any U.S. city in the same period.

* In a more recent study, CSHE noted that Vancouver saw a 717% increase in anti-Asian hate crimes from 2019 to 2020. This is the largest spike in Canada’s four largest cities.
* Canada uses “a more expansive” definition of hate crime than the U.S., according to CSHE. This could explain the significantly higher percentages.
* The Criminal Code of Canada says a hate crime is committed to intimidate, harm or terrify not only a person but also an entire group of people to which the victim belongs, according to CBC News. It can involve intimidation, harassment, physical force or threat of physical force against a person, a group or property.
* The Code has three sections that describe specific hate crimes. These include (1) hate propaganda advocating genocide, (2) public incitement or promotion of hatred and (3) mischief related to certain property, according to Global News.

Not so progressive: Bloomberg author Natalie Obiko Pearson, who lives in Vancouver herself, noted that the city may not be “the bastion of progressive multiculturalism it thinks it is,” given the disproportionate data.

* Vancouver has a population of about 700,000. Of this number, 42% are Asian and 25% speak Chinese.
* Trixie Ling, 38, is a Taiwanese-born immigrant running a nonprofit for refugee women. In May 2020, a man reportedly attacked her with “racist and sexist insults” before spitting in her face.
* Ling’s experience is not that different from incidents reported in the U.S. But she says her experience confirmed what she always felt in Vancouver.
* “COVID has just revealed what’s always been there,” Ling told Bloomberg. “There is so much anti-Asian racism in our past that carries through.”

Vancouver, according to Bloomberg, came to exist as the Pacific Coast terminus of Canada’s first transcontinental railroad. Records at the University of British Columbia reportedly show that two Chinese workers died for every mile during construction.

In 2017, California passed a resolution commemorating the labor of Chinese workers who built the United States’ first transcontinental railroad. An estimated 1,200 laborers died while working on it.'
https://news.yahoo.com/vancouver-named-anti-asian-hate-210043844.html

risky biz

May 13, 2021, 1:33:41 PM5/13/21
And you can't blame it on black people. Canadians make sure that only an infinitesimally small number of those can immigrate to Canada.

Satoshi Popinjay

May 13, 2021, 2:14:54 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:33:41 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

Hi Risky!

BillB

May 13, 2021, 2:57:03 PM5/13/21
Fun with dubious statistics. I wouldn't even know where to start with this nonsense. But make no mistake about it, as progressive as Vancouver is, we still have our share of racist right-wing fuckstains.

BillB

May 13, 2021, 2:58:17 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:33:41 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:28:10 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

> And you can't blame it on black people. Canadians make sure that only an infinitesimally small number of those can immigrate to >Canada.

Oh, really? How does it do that? Be specific.

BillB

May 13, 2021, 2:59:28 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 11:14:54 AM UTC-7, Satoshi Popinjay wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:33:41 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
>

> Hi Risky!

I can't believe they let him out.

risky biz

May 13, 2021, 3:05:57 PM5/13/21
- Fun with dubious statistics. I wouldn't even know where to start with this nonsense. But make no mistake about it, as progressive as Vancouver is, we still have our share of racist right-wing fuckstains.

You never know where to start so nonsense is what you usually fall back on. Go ahead- follow up with idiotic, dissimulating multi-posts. It's expected.

And count yourself among the 'racist right-wing fuckstains' of Vancouver.

risky biz

May 13, 2021, 3:11:31 PM5/13/21
Ah, there they are- the idiotic, dissimulating multi-posts which are expected.

Vancouver and Canada are less than 1% black (Yeah, I know- you claim they're all over the place in Vancouver. Try to get a handle on your black fright.)

Any American corporation with that low a percentage of black employees would be hauled into court on racial discrimination charges.

Satoshi Popinjay

May 13, 2021, 3:11:48 PM5/13/21
One of the smartest RGPers ever. RGP is nothing without him.

BillB

May 13, 2021, 3:23:34 PM5/13/21
You didn't answer my question....but that was entirely predictable. Nice dodge, though. I'm sure nobody noticed. LOL

BillB

May 13, 2021, 3:27:09 PM5/13/21
Oh, I'm a right-winger now? Just the day before yesterday I was a communist. Oh well, makes about as much sense as your original post, I guess.

Anyhow, congratulations on being out.

BillB

May 13, 2021, 3:28:26 PM5/13/21
lol...you wouldn't know a truly smart person if you tripped over one.

risky biz

May 13, 2021, 3:41:36 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:28:26 PM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:11:48 PM UTC-7, Satoshi Popinjay wrote:

> > > I can't believe they let him out.
> > One of the smartest RGPers ever. RGP is nothing without him.

~ lol...you wouldn't know a truly smart person if you tripped over one.

Mmm, hmmm . . you're a genius. That's why you have to keep multi-posting.

BillB

May 13, 2021, 4:01:12 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:11:31 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 11:58:17 AM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:33:41 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> > > On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:28:10 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> >
> > > And you can't blame it on black people. Canadians make sure that only an infinitesimally small number of those can immigrate to >Canada.
> > Oh, really? How does it do that? Be specific.
> Ah, there they are- the idiotic, dissimulating multi-posts which are expected.
>
> Vancouver and Canada are less than 1% black (Yeah, I know- you claim they're all over the place in Vancouver. Try to get a handle on your black fright.)

Try to get a handle on your facts. You only missed by 250% for Canada. LOL

According to wikipedia there are 13 US states and territories with a lower percentage of black people than Canada. So I suppose you think those are all racist places doing everything they can to keep black people out? You're a simpleton.

What is the percentage of Asians in your city? Is it less than Vancouver's 45%? I'm seeing only 7.2% for Las Vegas! How racist can you get?! What is Las Vegas doing to prevent Asians from moving there?

risky biz

May 13, 2021, 5:41:18 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 1:01:12 PM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:11:31 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

> > > Oh, really? How does it do that? Be specific.
> > Ah, there they are- the idiotic, dissimulating multi-posts which are expected.
> >
> > Vancouver and Canada are less than 1% black (Yeah, I know- you claim they're all over the place in Vancouver. Try to get a handle on your black fright.)
> Try to get a handle on your facts. You only missed by 250% for Canada. LOL

The latest census did come in at 3.5% blacks for all of Canada, but many of those blacks are descendants from when Canada was a colony of England, i.e., before Canada instituted immigration policies that have a very strong tendency to exclude black applicants. For example, a working-age black person must acquire an offer of employment to immigrate to Canada. That is, EMPLOYERS get to decide who to allow into Canada. Imagine that being put up for a vote in the U.S. Congress. LOL.

And those 3.5% blacks are DEFINITELY not in Vancouver.

~ According to wikipedia there are 13 US states and territories with a lower percentage of black people than Canada. So I suppose you think those are all racist places doing everything they can to keep black people out? You're a simpleton.

Mississippi is 39% black. Do you think that's because Mississippi is doing everything it can to keep black people IN? YOU'RE a simpleton.

~ What is the percentage of Asians in your city? Is it less than Vancouver's 45%? I'm seeing only 7.2% for Las Vegas! How racist can you get?! What is Las Vegas doing to prevent Asians from moving there?

My city, Las Vegas, hasn't been crowned as the 'Hate Capital of North America'. Vancouver has. Guess why?

> > Any American corporation with that low a percentage of black employees would be hauled into court on racial discrimination charges.

Any American corporation with only 3.5% black employees would be hauled into court on racial discrimination charges.

BillB

May 13, 2021, 6:23:14 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 2:41:18 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 1:01:12 PM UTC-7, BillB wrote:

> > > Ah, there they are- the idiotic, dissimulating multi-posts which are expected.
> > >
> > > Vancouver and Canada are less than 1% black (Yeah, I know- you claim they're all over the place in Vancouver. Try to get a handle on your black fright.)
> > Try to get a handle on your facts. You only missed by 250% for Canada. LOL

> The latest census did come in at 3.5% blacks for all of Canada

Then why did you lie? Or was it just your usual ignorance?>

, but many of those blacks are descendants from when Canada was a colony of England,

LOL@"many" You are quite the statistician! Regardless, that has nothing to do with your claim of the percentage of black people in Canada today.

> i.e., before Canada instituted immigration policies that have a very strong tendency to exclude black applicants. For example, a working->age black person must acquire an offer of employment to immigrate to Canada.

Who sold you that chub of bologna?

>That is, EMPLOYERS get to decide who to allow into Canada. Imagine that being put up for a vote in the U.S. Congress. LOL.

More risky ignorance.

> And those 3.5% blacks are DEFINITELY not in Vancouver.
>
> ~ According to wikipedia there are 13 US states and territories with a lower percentage of black people than Canada. So I suppose you think those are all racist places doing everything they can to keep black people out? You're a simpleton.
>
> Mississippi is 39% black. Do you think that's because Mississippi is doing everything it can to keep black people IN? YOU'RE a simpleton.

You make up a stupid risky-style comment, attribute it to me even though I never said anything like it, and then on that bogus basis call ME a simpleton. LOL You have the IQ of a turnip.

Now why don't you address what I ACTUALLY said. 13 US states and territories have a lower percentage of black people than Canada. Does that make them racist states and territories? Does that mean they are taking extraordinary measure to keep out black people?

> ~ What is the percentage of Asians in your city? Is it less than Vancouver's 45%? I'm seeing only 7.2% for Las Vegas! How racist can you get?! What is Las Vegas doing to prevent Asians from moving there?
>
> My city, Las Vegas, hasn't been crowned as the 'Hate Capital of North America'.

Neither has Vancouver, unless you want to count one writer in Bloomberg. But Vancouver as SIX TIMES more Asians per capita than Las Vegas. That's a FAR greater disparity than the percentage of black people in Canada than the US. So according to your " risky logic," that means Las Vegas is EXTREMELY racist against Asians. It's undeniable!

>Vancouver has. Guess why?

Because the writer of the Bloomberg article was almost as deficient as you in critical thinking skills?

> > > Any American corporation with that low a percentage of black employees would be hauled into court on racial discrimination charges.

> Any American corporation with only 3.5% black employees would be hauled into court on racial discrimination charges.

Really?? So if I incorporate a solo law practice in the US, I would be hauled into court? LOL. What a fucking moron. There are MILLIONS of corporations in the US with less than 3.5% black employees.

Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that % of employees has nothing to do with % of residents. Maybe Las Vegas should be hauled into court for having only .6% Indian residents? That's something like 1/17th the percentage in Vancouver!

Face it, risky...you're an idiot. Engage brain before putting keyboard in gear.

Clave

May 13, 2021, 9:02:07 PM5/13/21
I hope the dog's OK.

Dutch

May 13, 2021, 9:17:34 PM5/13/21
Neither would I.

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 4:32:08 AM5/14/21
'With more anti-Asian hate crimes than 10 of the most populous U.S. cities combined in 2020, Vancouver has reportedly become the “Anti-Asian Hate Crime Capital of North America.”

You're taking this poorly. Did you think your crude hypocrisy would live undisturbed in the damp darkness for all eternity?

BillB

May 14, 2021, 5:17:12 AM5/14/21
That's not what it said. The source was based on "reports," not crimes, as well as Canada's noted "expanded definition" of what constitutes a hate crime. In other words, you're comparing apples to oranges again.

BillB

May 14, 2021, 2:28:25 PM5/14/21
That reminds me....there was an incident here last year where a biker-looking dude pushed a 92-year-old man out of a 7-Eleven. The old guy fell and hit his head on the pavement. It was on the news non-stop till they found the fucker. All they could talk about was hate crime, hate crime, hate crime, and I have no doubt it was "reported" as one. They found the guy before long, but he wasn't charged with a hate crime, because it didn't meet the definition. Just because a white guy assaults an Asian guy, that doesn't make it a hate crime.

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 2:44:40 PM5/14/21
Yeah, sure- Canada's hate crimes are so much better than U.S. hate crimes. What an ass.

From the Bloomberg article:
'The Criminal Code of Canada says a hate crime is committed to intimidate, harm or terrify not only a person but also an entire group of people to which the victim belongs, according to CBC News. It can involve intimidation, harassment, physical force or threat of physical force against a person, a group or property.'

Wow. Not THAT bad.

LOL@ your 'flood the zone with shit' efforts.

As for your 'reports' bullshit- nah, it was:
'police figures collected by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism (CSHE) at Cal State San Bernardino'

You must be feeling pretty stupid right about now.

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 2:51:14 PM5/14/21
Yeah, sure- and lynchings of blacks in Alabama in 1930 were just a barbecue party.

It really is EXISTENTIALLY important for you to maintain a pure-as-snow image of yourself and your surroundings, isn't it?

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 2:54:24 PM5/14/21
Don't you really think 'Clave' that, at your age, you should have a higher ambition than existence as a perpetual butt-plug for BillBlabbermouth?

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 2:59:38 PM5/14/21
Congratulations. You get 10 points for duplicity/stupidity.

BillB

May 14, 2021, 3:05:10 PM5/14/21
Why would I feel stupid? You're the one who obviously didn't even read the source material.

From the CSHE report:

"In Canada, which uses a more expansive definition of hate crime than the U.S., CSHE found anti-Asian hate
crimes in four of that nation’s largest cities rose even more precipitously"

Then, if you look at the two graphs following that sentence (in which Vancouver is included) it is clear the data is based on "Anti-Asian Hate Crime Incidents *Reported* to Police" (my emphasis)

Why do you keep returning for more ass-kickings and proving to everyone that you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about?? I don't get it. Do you have no sense of shame?

VegasJerry

May 14, 2021, 3:06:38 PM5/14/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:28:10 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> 'With more anti-Asian hate crimes than 10 of the most populous U.S. cities combined in 2020, Vancouver has reportedly become the “Anti-Asian Hate Crime Capital of North America.”

Don' t forget they fuck over the Inuit people, too.
(My daughter-in-law's parents)

VegasJerry

May 14, 2021, 3:09:46 PM5/14/21
Same for his pool hall.....

VegasJerry

May 14, 2021, 3:11:15 PM5/14/21
It's either that, or he gets cornered to the point he has to start a new thread (of lies).

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 3:20:15 PM5/14/21
Hate crimes don't count if they're reported to police? How much more can you get?

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 3:21:43 PM5/14/21
That topic would have to be covered in a genocide thread.

BillB

May 14, 2021, 3:28:28 PM5/14/21
It's a "report" of a hate crime, and a huge percentage don't turn out to be "hate crimes" at all. You REALLY don't understand the difference between a hate crime and a report of hate crime?? LOL More risky stupidity. He's a bottomless pit of dumb.

You were proven wrong yet AGAIN. Aren't you going to apologize to everyone? People took the time to read your post, only to find out you were talking out your clueless ass again.

risky biz

May 14, 2021, 3:56:20 PM5/14/21
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 2:17:12 AM UTC-7, BillB wrote:

> That's not what it said. The source was based on "reports," not crimes, as well as Canada's noted "expanded definition" of what constitutes a hate crime. In other words, you're comparing apples to oranges again.

'With almost 1 out of every 2 residents of Asian descent in British Columbia experiencing a hate incident in the past year'
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-vancouver-canada-asian-hate-crimes/

Does Blabbermouth want you to believe that HALF the Asians in B.C. are reporting hoax hate crimes to the police? LOL.

BillB

May 14, 2021, 4:22:03 PM5/14/21
Uh, according to your source there were only 98 reports of "anti-Asian hate crimes" last year. I'm pretty sure there are more than 196 Asians in Vancouver. LOL

And I'm not saying the reports are necessarily "hoaxes". I'm only saying that most incidents that are *reported* as hate crimes turn out not to be hate crimes at all. Show me the number of charged hate crimes (let alone convictions).
If someone tells someone to "go back to China" it's all over the news here, yet for some reason I can't recall one conviction for an Asian hate crime. I don't doubt I might have missed a couple, but even charges are rare.

Clave

May 14, 2021, 9:37:05 PM5/14/21
So you're still fucking beagles?

They're going to catch you one of these days.

VegasJerry

May 15, 2021, 11:27:50 AM5/15/21
So you still hit, dodge, run & hide?

risky biz

May 15, 2021, 12:15:07 PM5/15/21
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 1:22:03 PM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
> On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 12:56:20 PM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> > On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 2:17:12 AM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
> > > That's not what it said. The source was based on "reports," not crimes, as well as Canada's noted "expanded definition" of what constitutes a hate crime. In other words, you're comparing apples to oranges again.
> > 'With almost 1 out of every 2 residents of Asian descent in British Columbia experiencing a hate incident in the past year'
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-vancouver-canada-asian-hate-crimes/
> >
> > Does Blabbermouth want you to believe that HALF the Asians in B.C. are reporting hoax hate crimes to the police? LOL.
> Uh, according to your source there were only 98 reports of "anti-Asian hate crimes" last year. I'm pretty sure there are more than 196 Asians in Vancouver. LOL

Bloomberg: 'British Columbia'
Blabbermouth: 'Vancouver'

That's a remarkable rudimentary logic error for someone that absolutely brags about their logic skills.

Hint: someone who brags about their skill at logic is probably pretty stupid.

BillB

May 15, 2021, 1:59:52 PM5/15/21
On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 9:15:07 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:
> On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 1:22:03 PM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
> > > 'With almost 1 out of every 2 residents of Asian descent in British Columbia experiencing a hate incident in the past year'
> > > https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-vancouver-canada-asian-hate-crimes/
> > >
> > > Does Blabbermouth want you to believe that HALF the Asians in B.C. are reporting hoax hate crimes to the police? LOL.
> > Uh, according to your source there were only 98 reports of "anti-Asian hate crimes" last year. I'm pretty sure there are more than 196 Asians in Vancouver. LOL
> Bloomberg: 'British Columbia'
> Blabbermouth: 'Vancouver'
>
> That's a remarkable rudimentary logic error for someone that absolutely brags about their logic skills.
>
> Hint: someone who brags about their skill at logic is probably pretty stupid.

LOLOL!! OMFG, this is too funny. Risky couldn't figure out how jerrytarded his comment was from the info I provided. I guess I have to spoonfeed it to him again??

Okay , I'll try, but this is like trying to teach a jerrytarded baby advanced calculus. I'm going to try to make it moron-proof by using round numbers where possible.

There are about 5 million people in British Columbia, about 25% of whom, or 1.25 million, are Asian. There are about 650,000 people in Vancouver proper, about 45% of whom, or about 300,000, are Asian. Therefore, there are approximately 950,000 Asians living in British Columbia but outside Vancouver.

Risky asserts (like the absolute moron he is) that approximately 50% of all Asians in British Columbia (including Vancouver), or about 650,000, registered complaints with the police last year for "hate crimes" (LOL! Is jerrytard even this stupid??). Yet, we know from the CSHE data that only .032% of all Asians in Vancouver, or 98, registered complaints with the police last year for "hate crimes."

Therefore, risky believes that while only .032% of Asians in Vancouver made "hate crime" reports to police, a whopping 68.4% of BC Asians living outside Vancouver made "hate crime" reports to police!
In other words, "risky biz" (hereinafter "riskytard") believes BC Asians living OUTSIDE Vancouver are approximately 2,138 times more likely to make a "hate crime" report to police than those living IN Vancouver. LOLOL!!

Is there ANYONE else on RGP, even jerrytard, stupid enough to believe this?? If so, please speak up so we can take up a collection for you to get you a lobotomy (if you haven't already had one). Don't worry, we promise we wont send you to riskytard's surgeon!

VegasJerry

May 16, 2021, 10:21:53 AM5/16/21
On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 10:59:52 AM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
> On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 9:15:07 AM UTC-7, risky biz wrote:

> > > Uh, according to your source there were only 98 reports of "anti-Asian hate crimes" last year. I'm pretty sure there are more than 196 Asians in Vancouver. LOL
> > Bloomberg: 'British Columbia'
> > Blabbermouth: 'Vancouver'
> >
> > That's a remarkable rudimentary logic error for someone that absolutely brags about their logic skills.
> >
> > Hint: someone who brags about their skill at logic is probably pretty stupid.

> LOLOL!! OMFG, this is too funny. Risky couldn't figure out how jerrytarded his comment was ...
> teach a jerrytarded baby advanced calculus...
> spoon feed to him again...
> make it moron-proof ...

Heh; having shamed him by destroyed babbling BillB's Superiority Complex,
he can't get me out of him mind... RUN! kid, RUN! (Make a new thread, HA)

risky biz

May 17, 2021, 5:11:55 PM5/17/21
On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 10:59:52 AM UTC-7, BillB wrote:
Stop the coverup.

BillB

May 17, 2021, 5:19:10 PM5/17/21
Uh, you are the one following me around like a puppy. I'm obviously living rent free in your head.
And yes, I am superior to you in every conceivable way.

BillB

May 17, 2021, 5:21:03 PM5/17/21
Why don't you stop the mathematical illiteracy? Get yourself enrolled in a GED program and go from there.

VegasJerry

May 18, 2021, 9:49:54 AM5/18/21
See, Risky? Yet another Dodge & Run..

> And yes, I am superior to you in every conceivable way.

Yea, right after we both taught and embarrassed you.... Again.

(Gee, babbling BillB get defensive when he embarrassed...)