Brain teaser

Dutch

Oct 23, 2021, 4:43:02 PM10/23/21
Apologies if you've seen this one before..

You are a contestant on 'Let's Make a Deal'. The host offers you a
choice of three doors. Behind one of the doors is a new car, behind the
others are Zonks. You make a choice, then the host, who knows where the
car is, reveals one of the doors you didn't choose to be a Zonk. He now
allows you to stay with your original choice or switch to the other
still-closed door.

The question is, do you 1) stay with your original choice, 2) switch, or
3) it doesn't matter, the odds are the same either way.

BillB

Oct 23, 2021, 5:04:57 PM10/23/21
I have to recuse myself. I think this has been RGP before.

Dutch

Oct 23, 2021, 5:13:14 PM10/23/21
Yeah, come to think of it.. I knew I'd seen it somewhere before.

risky biz

Oct 23, 2021, 5:29:47 PM10/23/21
~ I have to recuse myself. I think this has been RGP before.

'Let's Make a Deal' has been RGP before? Have you been skipping your psychiatric medication?

VegasJerry

Oct 24, 2021, 1:26:33 PM10/24/21
On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 1:43:02 PM UTC-7, Dutch wrote:
I already have a car. What's a Zonk?

Tim Norfolk

Oct 24, 2021, 6:31:14 PM10/24/21
I seem to recall the discussion. I do know that we analyzed the 'Monty Hall Problem' in Advanced Probability in 1979 or 1980, so this could have been a while ago.
Message has been deleted

Splashie

Oct 25, 2021, 1:38:36 AM10/25/21
On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 1:43:02 PM UTC-7, Dutch wrote:
2 of course. And 6/2(1+2) = 9.

Michael

Dutch

Oct 25, 2021, 2:39:32 AM10/25/21
You said that like it was obvious to you right away.

VegasJerry

Oct 25, 2021, 1:21:41 PM10/25/21
As has been previously stated; this is old news: Been there, done that, saw the multiple replies...

Splashie

Oct 25, 2021, 1:23:25 PM10/25/21
On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 11:39:32 PM UTC-7, Dutch wrote:
It wasn't obvious (the Monty Hall problem I mean) the first time I saw it, here and elsewhere. But that was many years ago. Why not start a "folding AA on the first hand of the WSOP when everyone else shoves all in" thread?

Michael

Tim Norfolk

Oct 25, 2021, 6:58:20 PM10/25/21
Well, 6/2*(1+2)=9, while 6/2(1+2) will give an error in most programming languages that I know.

halfpastdead9

Oct 26, 2021, 10:51:29 PM10/26/21
dont fuck with Splashie when it comes to his memory of what goes on here ..he is amazing.. and yes it has been on RGP before .