Bucket List Trip; Tombstone to the World Series of Poker

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2017, 2:20:16 PM7/19/17
About a month ago I took a trip to check a couple of items off my “Bucket List”.
I flew into Phoenix, rented a car and drove down to Tombstone. I checked off my first
Bucket List (BL) item when I watched the shoot-out at the OK Corral. Then visited
the Bird Cage, Big Nose Kate’s and had lunch and a shot of Jameson at the Crystal Palace.
The latter is said to be the most authentic western saloon in America.

On the way back to Phoenix, I stopped in to see St. Augustine’s Catholic
Cathedral in Tucson. A beautiful old church with some interesting
history. I drove on through Phoenix and up to Flagstaff, which is a scenic drive.

From Flagstaff, I drove over to Winslow, Arizona where I checked off BL item #2,
by “Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona”. That line from the Eagles’ 1972,
song, “Take It Easy” is the basis of Winslow’s whole economy. They have the
famous “corner”, they painted a mural, parked a flatbed Ford with a girl in it and
built a statue of Glenn Fry. They’re also building a park to honor the song.
Apparently it’s working because there were people there from all over the country.

Drove back to Flagstaff then took the scenic route up to Utah and on to
BL item #3, which was to see Bryce Canyon National Park and stay at the Lodge. I’ve been
to a lot of national parks, including the Grand Canyon four times. But Bryce Canyon is
uniquely beautiful plus I had a personal reason for wanting to see a particular view point.

BL item #4 was driving through Zion National Park and climbing up to the lookout point,
just before you enter the tunnel, for a stunning view of the huge rock formations.

From there I drove to Las Vegas and spent four days at the Bellagio. Certainly no BL items
there considering this was my 68th visit. However, Vegas is always an entertaining place,
especially if you’re a poker player and the World Series Of Poker (WSOP) is going on at the Rio.

The Bellagio poker room was packed because the WSOP brings in poker players from all over the world. They have 38 tables and every one of them was full with waiting lists 10 to 35 deep. Plus, they
put another 8 poker tables out in their Sports Book to handle the over-flow. No automatic
shufflers on those tables, and not the best lighting, but no one complained.

I saw several big-name poker players including 83 year old Doyle Brunson. He was playing
$1,500/$3,000 Texas Hold’em, at a high roller table in Bobby’s Room, and still wearing a white
Stetson hat. The Floor Man said the buy-in for that game is usually $100k - $150k.

I played some $2-$5, No Limit but mostly $9/$18 to $40/$80 Limit Hold’em.
The $40/$80 game doesn’t always play as high as it sounds given that the buy-in
is only $500. Plus, you get some tight, short-stack locals sitting there just trying
to wait for one big hand.

I put in 30+ hours at the poker tables, met some interesting characters
(you almost always do) and saw two arguments. Both of the arguments happened in
the $4/$8 game while I was on the waiting list for a higher limit game. Now $4/$8 is
the lowest limit game they spread but it is often full of clueless tourists who’ve been
drinking and grumpy locals with tiny bankrolls. A combination that can lead to friction.

Went over to the Rio to check out the WSOP and the place was pretty full.
Seems like every year there are more vendors, hawking cheesy WSOP souvenirs, at
higher prices. I had planned to play in the $365 buy-in no limit event but found that if
you made it through the first round, you had to come back in July to finish the
tournament – which sadly didn’t fit my travel schedule.

BTW, a couple of WSOP changes. No “November Nine” this year.
The main event just plays straight through to the conclusion, like the old days.
Also, Mike Sexton left the World Poker Tour and is the new head of Party Poker.

Bottom-line; had a grand trip, won a little at the poker tables but, most important,
checked some items off my Bucket List.

So, do you have a Bucket List and, if so, care to share any
of your “still pending” items?

Irish Mike

A person who never travels is like a person who buys a book
but never looks past the cover.

urinalcakes

Jul 19, 2017, 4:54:13 PM7/19/17
Outlive Hanoi Jane.

Locate grave.

Empty bladder.

da pickle

Jul 19, 2017, 5:11:48 PM7/19/17
Looks like you had a great trip, Mike. Am I going to see you at BARGE
this year? Maybe??? I have been to several of your stops but Dianne
has not seen them. I like your route ... I might use it myself. Glad
you had a good time.

---
http://www.avg.com

poopiejay

Jul 19, 2017, 6:11:56 PM7/19/17
On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 2:20:16 PM UTC-4, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> About a month ago I took a trip to check a couple of items off my “Bucket List”.
> I flew into Phoenix, rented a car and drove down to Tombstone.

Tombstone is the most repulsive half-ass attempt at a tourist trap ive ever seen. "Tombstone Wild West Theme Park and Mini Golf" lol.

Bea Foroni

Jul 19, 2017, 7:17:16 PM7/19/17
Want to see wild west? I can't say enough about Deadwood. Real building preserved. Walking tours showing you where who did what to whom when. Shootouts. Dinners and breakfasts. And poker! Not high stakes, but enough to keep you entertained wondering if the guy bluffing you is a descendent of someone buried up younder in Boot Hill. Send the kiddies out to gold mine, the missus antique shopping nd you can wander the town drinking beer, looking for a tournament, sitting in each of the half a dozen chairs Wild Bill was shot on holding his famous Aces 'n Eights.

Dutch

Jul 19, 2017, 11:32:43 PM7/19/17
Loved reading your story. What a breath of fresh air from the usual
sniping and snark that goes on here. The shootout is LOUD isn't it?

Dutch

Jul 19, 2017, 11:44:54 PM7/19/17
It's so cheesy that it's actually entertaining.

BillB

Jul 20, 2017, 12:38:48 AM7/20/17
On 19/07/2017 8:41 PM, Dutch wrote:

> It's so cheesy that it's actually entertaining.

Like your Islamophobia posts?

Dutch

Jul 20, 2017, 1:05:04 AM7/20/17
Islamophobia, a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to
manipulate morons. - Andrew Cummins

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:22:02 AM7/20/17
As a Vietnam combat veteran I have very negative feelings
about Jane Fonda. I sincerely hope you get to check this item off your Bucket List.

Irish Mike

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:24:10 AM7/20/17
On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 5:11:48 PM UTC-4, da pickle wrote:
Thank you but I've never been to a BARGE event.

Irish Mike

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:38:23 AM7/20/17
Yes, it is loud. One thing that impressed me was that it was 106 degrees and the
actors in the "shoot out" were wearing heavy three piece black suits!
But it didn't seem to bother them and they even posed for pictures with members
of the audience after the show.

Irish Mike

da pickle

Jul 20, 2017, 8:38:03 AM7/20/17
10/10

irishra...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:40:08 PM7/20/17
You might want to visit North Pole, Alaska.

Irish Mike

risky biz

Jul 21, 2017, 6:05:11 PM7/21/17
Does Irish Mike think the North Pole is in Alaska or did he know that there's a North Pole, Alaska? Decisions, decisions.

risky biz

Jul 21, 2017, 6:16:37 PM7/21/17
I've always wanted to introduce myself to Mike Sexton if I saw him in a local pool room. No longer pending.

I've always wanted to see you post an interesting socio/political comment. Still pending.

I recall that years ago there was a very knowledgeable poster here who was posting about limit poker. You told him to get out of the newsgroup. I assume you did that because you were too uninformed to understand what he was talking about. He promptly replied that he would never post here again and he hasn't. Great work. You touch it and it dies. I'd like to see him return. Still pending.

Santa C.

Jul 21, 2017, 6:18:52 PM7/21/17
He probably thinks that Alaska is the northernmost point on the Earth. After all he is a Trumpanzee. I'll bet Trump thinks Alaska is the northernmost point on Earth.

VegasJerry

Jul 21, 2017, 6:19:12 PM7/21/17
I saw him at our Pancake House a couple of years ago. He had his whole family with him...