Canada is safe

BillB

Sep 21, 2021, 12:01:24 AM9/21/21
Trudeau wins again. Conservatives spanked.

It's a minority government again, though, so Trudeau will need to enlist the support of the much further left NDP to pass legislation. Should work out just about right.

Why did Trudeau win?

1) Covid policy and performance (compared to US) .

2) Gun policy - it's very clear that Canadians wanted no part of the looser policy the further right parties were floating.

3) Vote splitting on the right between the Conservatives and the upstart People's Party of Canada.

4) Climate policy - Canadians care about future generations, even if it means making modest sacrifices today (i.e. morality).

5) Popular universal child care proposal.

Trudeau was heavily criticized for calling an election, but the results show he played it right. He fell short of his goal for a majority, but he was so far ahead of the Conservatives in seats that he really had not much to lose. Now he has a fresh four year mandate. Phew!

Dutch

Sep 21, 2021, 1:29:30 AM9/21/21
I think people see it as a colossal waste of money. The seat totals are
virtually the same as before.

BillB

Sep 21, 2021, 2:17:30 AM9/21/21
Yes, many people do see it that way. But then again, most people aren't all that bright. Trudeau took a freeroll shot at a majority government that would have been hugely beneficial for Canada. He fell just short (thanks to Alberta and Saskatchewan), but he extended his mandate for two years and made the right-wing reconsider their path and policies. Next time, maybe they won't court the gun lobby and advance moronic public health policies. Canada is a safer place for it.

Dutch

Sep 21, 2021, 3:11:18 AM9/21/21
I think it's clear the majority prefer Trudeau and Liberal policies over
the alternatives, but they don't trust him with a majority. We already
knew that. So what were the goals? The Liberals were trying for a
majority and they got slapped down, so they didn't accomplish their
goal, and they wasted all that money. The Conservatives had high hopes,
but at least they denied the Liberals a majority, a partial victory. The
NDP came out ahead, and are in a strong position, so a victory for them.
A waste of time. Of the three leaders Trudeau probably dropped in appeal
by comparison, but still holds the edge.

BillB

Sep 21, 2021, 3:24:03 AM9/21/21
On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 12:11:18 AM UTC-7, Dutch wrote:
> On 2021-09-20 11:17 p.m., BillB wrote:

> >> I think people see it as a colossal waste of money. The seat totals are
> >> virtually the same as before. And they've t
> >
> > Yes, many people do see it that way. But then again, most people aren't all that bright. Trudeau took a freeroll shot at a majority government that would have been hugely beneficial for Canada. He fell just short (thanks to Alberta and Saskatchewan), but he extended his mandate for two years and made the right-wing reconsider their path and policies. Next time, maybe they won't court the gun lobby and advance moronic public health policies. Canada is a safer place for it.
> >
> I think it's clear the majority prefer Trudeau and Liberal policies over
> the alternatives, but they don't trust him with a majority. We already
> knew that. So what were the goals? The Liberals were trying for a
> majority and they got slapped down, so they didn't accomplish their
> goal, and they wasted all that money. The Conservatives had high hopes,
> but at least they denied the Liberals a majority, a partial victory. The
> NDP came out ahead, and are in a strong position, so a victory for them.
> A waste of time. Of the three leaders Trudeau probably dropped in appeal
> by comparison, but still holds the edge.

lol...they didn't get slapped down. They just missed. And they've still got the NDP to team up with to pulverize the right-wing into a grease spot. He had nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is a poker newsgroup. You should understand the concept of a freeroll. But it was better than a freeroll, because his mandate has now been extended by two or three years. And don't give me this horseshit about a $600 million dollar election. That is not the real cost.

Dutch

Sep 21, 2021, 4:11:01 AM9/21/21
C'mon, they missed by 24 seats, that's not close, and he lost the
popular vote by 3 million. But you're right I don't think it'll cost
Trudeau politically. People have already forgotten this election. And I
don''t care if it cost 600 thousand, it was a waste of taxpayer's money.
What gets me is The Bloc got 34 seats with 7.7% of the vote, that's
fucked up.

BillB

Sep 21, 2021, 4:23:26 AM9/21/21
The popular vote doesn't mean much under our system. They lost the popular vote last time too. That's only because we have a couple of regions (provinces) that hate the Liberal party for historical reasons and vote in lockstep against them. Nobody cares if Alberta doesn't want to share some of their oil revenues with the rest of the country. They're going to, whether they like it or not. They've had plenty of time to separate, but somehow it never happens. They aren't that stupid.

To be honest, I haven't even looked at the final results yet, but earlier tonight the CBC was showing 155 seats. Was that just a projection?

BillB

Sep 21, 2021, 4:41:05 AM9/21/21
I'm confused...the National Post says the Liberals only missed the majority by 12 seats. They show the Liberals with 158 seats.

Dutch

Sep 21, 2021, 4:05:44 PM9/21/21
I just want to forget about the dumb election. At least Canada has the
sense to call an election, campaign for a few weeks, and get it over
with. The US is a never-ending soap opera, entertaining though..