Hold 'em Quiz

Fireholder

Mar 2, 2003, 10:43:55 PM3/2/03
Here are the facts of the case, you tell me what happened:

1. Heads up game.

2. Player A flops a full house using both hole cards.

3. Player B only gets one hole card, the other one falls of the table and
he can't reach it (just play along - the other card won't matter).

4. Player B's only card is a 3 of clubs.

5. Player B missed the entire board completely (no flush, straight or
pairing up of any kind).

6. Player B wins the hand.

What was on the board?

Note: This is not some sort of trick question. A real answer exists.

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com

Gary Carson

Mar 2, 2003, 10:48:21 PM3/2/03
four of a kind with a duece on the board

Gary Carson
http://www.garycarson.com

Octo the Genarian

Mar 2, 2003, 10:50:24 PM3/2/03
Flop was 22x, where player A had 2x.

Turn and river are 33, giving player B the bigger boat with his lone 3.

NEXT!

"Fireholder" <anon...@aol.com> wrote in message

Gary Carson

Mar 2, 2003, 10:59:36 PM3/2/03
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:50:24 -0600, "Octo the Genarian"
<thisis...@email.address> wrote:

>Flop was 22x, where player A had 2x.
>
>Turn and river are 33, giving player B the bigger boat with his lone
3.

No, he said he didn't pair up.

The other player had pocket 2's

2xx x x

>NEXT!
>

>"Fireholder" <anon...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Here are the facts of the case, you tell me what happened:
>>
>> 1. Heads up game.
>>
>> 2. Player A flops a full house using both hole cards.
>>
>> 3. Player B only gets one hole card, the other one falls of the
table and
>> he can't reach it (just play along - the other card won't matter).
>>
>> 4. Player B's only card is a 3 of clubs.
>>
>> 5. Player B missed the entire board completely (no flush, straight
or
>> pairing up of any kind).
>>
>> 6. Player B wins the hand.
>>
>> What was on the board?
>>
>> Note: This is not some sort of trick question. A real answer
exists.

>> Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com

Gary Carson
http://www.garycarson.com

Octo the Genarian

Mar 2, 2003, 11:13:56 PM3/2/03

> No, he said he didn't pair up.

Oops. I thought he was referring to the flop but he said for the whole
board. I had a nagging feeling my answer wasn't "neat" enough to be correct.

NEXT!

=)

Jim Rankin

Mar 2, 2003, 11:40:46 PM3/2/03
flop was 554, 54c, A had 44. Turn is 2c, river Ac (or 6c). Other
permutations of flop and A hole cards of course, but two of the flop
cards make a three card straight flush for B and turn and river complete
it. Just the typical 1000-1 beat.

Storm

Mar 3, 2003, 12:53:21 AM3/3/03
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:48:21 GMT, garyc...@alumni.northwestern.edu
(Gary Carson) wrote:

>four of a kind with a duece on the board

That's one way.

Unless criteria #5 below means no flush or straight DRAW, then it
could also go down like this:

Flop = Ac2c2d

(Player "A" holding AA)

Turn = 4c
River = 5c

Fireholder

Mar 3, 2003, 2:27:34 AM3/3/03
Some of you were right and some of you were wrong. The straight flushers
were wrong because B missed the board completely. What I had in mind was a
board like this:

AA2AA

Player A has 22
Player B wins with his crappy 3.

To complete this scenario, Player A bets out every round and Player B
calls all his bets.
Now that would be would horribly bad play and horrible beat - perhaps the
worst beat imaginable.

Terrence Chan

Mar 3, 2003, 4:25:42 AM3/3/03
On 03 Mar 2003 07:27:34 GMT, "Fireholder" <anon...@aol.com> wrote:

>Some of you were right and some of you were wrong. The straight flushers
>were wrong because B missed the board completely. What I had in mind was a
>board like this:
>
>AA2AA
>
>Player A has 22
>Player B wins with his crappy 3.
>
>To complete this scenario, Player A bets out every round and Player B
>calls all his bets.
>Now that would be would horribly bad play and horrible beat -

Generally, playing hold'em with one card and not retrieving the other
one off the floor to get a second card would constitute "horribly bad
play" in and of itself.

But, it's not hard to think of a betting sequence where this is the
final board and both players' play is reasonable. Say that A has 22
and limps and B has 32 in the big blind and checks. When the flop
comes AA2, B checks with the intention of check-raising (as he likely
has the best - but also vulnerable - hand, and frequently the opponent
will fold to the check-raise). A wants to slowplay and checks back.
The turn comes an A. B bets for value and A just calls (A's house is
counterfeited and now loses to any pocket pair). The river comes the
case ace and now B has been counterfeited as well, so it goes
check-check (although one of the two should probably bluff here).

perhaps the
>worst beat imaginable.

No beat in hold'em is worse than 989:1. 22 is only an 18:1 favourite
here (since the 32 has so many ways to chop)!

--
Terrence Chan
http://www.sfu.ca/~tchand/

lvdlrs

Mar 2, 2003, 10:55:40 PM3/2/03
Player A had pocket 2's and the flop was 277. Turn 7. End 7.
It doesn't have to be four 7's. It could be any four of a
kind on board.

Gary (...) Philips

lvdlrs

Mar 2, 2003, 10:58:42 PM3/2/03

Octo the Genarian wrote:
> Flop was 22x, where player A had 2x.
>
> Turn and river are 33, giving player B the bigger boat with his lone 3.
>
> NEXT!

Not hardly. He said "Player B missed the entire board completely (no

flush, straight or pairing up of any kind)."

Gary (take a number) Philips

lvdlrs

Mar 3, 2003, 12:11:46 AM3/3/03

Jim Rankin wrote:
> flop was 554, 54c, A had 44. Turn is 2c, river Ac (or 6c). Other
> permutations of flop and A hole cards of course, but two of the flop
> cards make a three card straight flush for B and turn and river complete
> it. Just the typical 1000-1 beat.

In your example, the longshot would be 495/1, if I'm not mistaken.
Knowing two sets of downcards and the three card flop leaves 45
unseen cards. The deuce of clubs must hit either on 4th or 5th
street with either the Ace or 6 being the other card.

2/45 x 1/44 + 1/45 x 2/44

reduces to

1/990 + 1/990

or

1/495

Gary (sure hope my math is correct) Philips

Terrence Chan

Mar 3, 2003, 4:43:42 AM3/3/03
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:25:42 -0600, Terrence Chan
<terren...@telus.net> wrote:

>But, it's not hard to think of a betting sequence where this is the
>final board and both players' play is reasonable. Say that A has 22
>and limps and B has 32 in the big blind and checks.

Oooh, forgot that B can't pair. Okay, make it 43 and a wheel draw.

Checkraiser

Mar 3, 2003, 5:37:48 AM3/3/03
> board like this:
>
> AA2AA
>
> Player A has 22
> Player B wins with his crappy 3.

I think that this riddle makes sense only if the flop is AAA. Player A
still flops his fullhouse, but there aren't any even backdoor straight
possibilities for player B (that exists with A2A flop).

here's another riddle, but is quite poker unrelated.

I am the beginning of the end, I am the end of time and space, I
surround every place. Who am I?

Warning: TRICKY ONE! :)

have fun, CR

Fireholder

Mar 3, 2003, 2:58:56 PM3/3/03
EEEEEEE
EE
EEEEE
EE
EEEEEEE

> I am the beginning of the end, I am the end of time and space, I
> surround every place. Who am I?
>
> Warning: TRICKY ONE! :)
>
> have fun, CR

lvdlrs

Mar 3, 2003, 3:25:50 PM3/3/03
Nice one. I would have said the edge of the universe.

Gary (...) Philips

Bing

Mar 3, 2003, 3:28:19 PM3/3/03
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:58:42 GMT, lvdlrs <lvd...@midsouth.rr.com>
wrote:

> > Flop was 22x, where player A had 2x.
> > Turn and river are 33, giving player B the bigger boat with his lone 3.

> Not hardly. He said "Player B missed the entire board completely (no

> flush, straight or pairing up of any kind)."

Player A couldn't have flopped a Full House (as stated in
the quiz) without the board having a pair. When he said,
"no pairing up of any kind," he obviously meant that the
'3' didn't pair up with anything.

So, the two solutions given, (2n + 22n33 + 3x) or
(22 + 2nnnn + 3x), are correct.

Although, since the quiz says that the value of the
second card in the '3's hand doesn't matter, that kind
of eliminates the 'four of a kind' answer, since the
other card would make a better (or equal) hand than
the '3'.

-- Bing Monopoly Expansion Set
Visit us at http://www.paxentertainment.com

Bing

Mar 3, 2003, 3:33:11 PM3/3/03
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:43:42 -0600, Terrence Chan
<terren...@telus.net> wrote:

> Oooh, forgot that B can't pair. Okay, make it 43 and a wheel draw.

Nope. You also said there was no straight or flush. Since
the board is paired, as stated in the quiz, I took that
to mean the player did not flop a 4-flush or 4-straight.

Baud Beat

Mar 3, 2003, 3:53:48 PM3/3/03
This one would work better as a verbal, rather than a written, riddle.
You are the letter e.

Terrence Chan

Mar 4, 2003, 1:17:33 AM3/4/03
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:33:11 GMT, pax...@yahoo.com (Bing) wrote:

>Nope. You also said there was no straight or flush. Since
>the board is paired, as stated in the quiz, I took that
>to mean the player did not flop a 4-flush or 4-straight.

Huh? All he said was, "Player B missed the entire board completely
(no flush, straight or pairing up of any kind)." Nothing about
4-flushes or 4-straights.

Bing

Mar 4, 2003, 4:50:36 PM3/4/03
On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 00:17:33 -0600, Terrence Chan
<terren...@telus.net> wrote:

> Huh? All he said was, "Player B missed the entire board completely
> (no flush, straight or pairing up of any kind)." Nothing about
> 4-flushes or 4-straights.

Then he was being needlesly repetitve. Since he stated
that Player A flopped a Full House, it was impossible
for Player B to have flopped a Straight or Flush.

There would be no reason to state "no flush, straight"
unless he wanted to tell us that the solution did not
involve Turning and Rivering a Straight Flush. By
telling us that there were no (3- or 4-card) flushes
or straights, he accomplished that.

Octo the Genarian

Mar 4, 2003, 10:14:57 PM3/4/03

> > Huh? All he said was, "Player B missed the entire board completely
> > (no flush, straight or pairing up of any kind)." Nothing about
> > 4-flushes or 4-straights.
>
> Then he was being needlesly repetitve. Since he stated
> that Player A flopped a Full House, it was impossible
> for Player B to have flopped a Straight or Flush.
>
> There would be no reason to state "no flush, straight"
> unless he wanted to tell us that the solution did not
> involve Turning and Rivering a Straight Flush. By
> telling us that there were no (3- or 4-card) flushes
> or straights, he accomplished that.
>
> -- Bing Monopoly Expansion Set

This may be the most important debate in the history of the world.

CharlieRed

Mar 5, 2003, 12:57:33 AM3/5/03
Sorry to jump into this thread late, but I just wanted to share that
something like this actually happened to me a year ago on PlanetPoker.
Was playing a 5-10 table 5-player max, but only one other guy was
there. I was holding either JJ or QJ and the flop came JAA. I bet
aggressively, and get called all the way. Turn and River come AA. The
guy shows something like K7o. Needless to say, I made quite a few
dents in the wall next to me.

Cheers,
-CR