Best Denominations for $10 Buy-in?

Xyress

May 20, 2004, 1:03:13 AM5/20/04
I'm pretty new to poker and am trying to start up a home game. I've
just bought 500 chips and was wondering what others have used for the
blinds (5c/10c or 25c/50c??) in Hold 'em and what denominations of chips
for a $10 buy-in.

I've been trying to figure out the best possible amount of chips I can
hand out to allow for multiple buy-ins when players go broke. With an
average of 6-7 players, what's the best chip denominations to use?

--
Xyress

Atheist #2167
http://red-pill.org

Davy Davis

May 20, 2004, 10:42:15 AM5/20/04
I run an almost identical game. For $10 each player gets
30 white chips nickels
14 red chips quarters
5 green chips dollars
this is 49 chips and I presort into the 10 racks in the case so if you
rebuy I can just grab an already presorted stack and hand it out. But
this won't work if you got a standard 500 because you probably won't have
300 whites but if it is really only 7 players then the 200 white you
probably got is close. I ended up buying 100 more whites and 50 more reds
and 2 of those acrylic chip racks where I store the extras in a drawer.
I felt it was important to give each player the most number of physical
chips as possible because it is fun to pull in a pot with lots of chips.
Davy

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com

nutN2Lewz

May 20, 2004, 1:49:00 PM5/20/04
"Xyress" <no...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

Don't issue $10 in chips ... issue each player 1000 in chips.

Go here : www.homepokertourney.com

nutn2lewz

David Maybury

May 20, 2004, 3:04:46 PM5/20/04
This is the typical # I use on my home game:

20 whites ($0.10 ea.)
20 red ($0.20 ea.)
4 blues ($0.50 ea.)
2 greens ($1.00 ea.)

As people re-buy through the night and the reds and whites become
exhausted, jsut do the re-buys with only greens and blue...has a nautral
sort of "coloring up" effect.

If you are running a tournament, not just a game, take nutn2lewz's advice
and pick some convenient numbet (I use $100, but $1000 is good).

Supe

May 20, 2004, 3:05:51 PM5/20/04
Me and my friends play $10 buy in games a few times a week with players
ranging from 8-20. We play with $10 in chips. I have 1k chips with 7
colors but mostly white, green and black. We use whites as $.10, green
as $.25 and black is $.50. this has worked really well for us. Hope it
works for you.

* New Poker Magazine:
http://www.liveactionpoker.com/magazine/magazine.html

** Free Daily WSOP Updates at http://www.liveactionpoker.com

chrishoo

May 20, 2004, 4:44:23 PM5/20/04
I also am part of a very similar game. Our normal blinds are .05/.10,
with betting being .10/.25/.25/.50 for hold'em, .1/.25/.25/.5/.5 for
stud. Each person generally just grabs $10 in chips, though we have
added some black .50 chips over the years on top of the normal
.05/.10/.25 chips that we started with, just to lowere the number of
chips on the table.

Linda K Sherman

May 20, 2004, 6:03:32 PM5/20/04
Xyress wrote:

Is $10 the minimum buy-in, the maximum buy-in, or both?

For a $10 max buy-in game, a good rule of thumb is to divide by 100 to
get the optimum big blind size. So .05/.10 would be ideal. But if it's
a $10 minimum buy-in, then you might want to play a little higher.

As for chips, 500 is not a lot, and without knowing what colors you have
it's hard to say how best to distribute them, although keep in mind that
you can always make change. You can also allow bills on the table, if
necessary. I would be okay with allowing $1 bills to play in a $10
game, using the chips to stand in for coin denominations.

You can get rid of the nickel denomination if you play with .10/.10
blinds instead of .5/.10 and require bets to be in dime-size increments.

Lin
--
Linda K. Sherman
linsherman [atsign] tampabay [stop] rr [stop] com

Xyress

May 21, 2004, 12:14:13 AM5/21/04
Linda K Sherman wrote:

> Xyress wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty new to poker and am trying to start up a home game. I've
>> just bought 500 chips and was wondering what others have used for the
>> blinds (5c/10c or 25c/50c??) in Hold 'em and what denominations of
>> chips for a $10 buy-in.
>>
>> I've been trying to figure out the best possible amount of chips I can
>> hand out to allow for multiple buy-ins when players go broke. With an
>> average of 6-7 players, what's the best chip denominations to use?

Just got back from our first game (can't host it at my place since I
don't have a table - just the chips). Details below.

> Is $10 the minimum buy-in, the maximum buy-in, or both?

$10 max, but it's pretty much assumed that everyone will put in $10.
Re-buys are only allowed after going broke.

> For a $10 max buy-in game, a good rule of thumb is to divide by 100 to
> get the optimum big blind size. So .05/.10 would be ideal. But if it's
> a $10 minimum buy-in, then you might want to play a little higher.

Cool - we ended up going with the .05/.10

> As for chips, 500 is not a lot, and without knowing what colors you have
> it's hard to say how best to distribute them, although keep in mind that
> you can always make change. You can also allow bills on the table, if
> necessary. I would be okay with allowing $1 bills to play in a $10
> game, using the chips to stand in for coin denominations.

I have 150 White, 200 Red, 100 Green & 50 Black. I think I might have
to order 300 more chips or so to fill in the smaller colors at some
point, but it worked well tonight with 6 people (no one ended up buying
back in - and 3 busted before the end of the night).

> You can get rid of the nickel denomination if you play with .10/.10
> blinds instead of .5/.10 and require bets to be in dime-size increments.

Hmm - not a bad idea. The nickels were pretty much only useful for the
small blinds anyway.

Okay - here's the wrap up. We had a few newbies to no-limit hold 'em,
but everyone had played various forms of poker before and most had
played some form of hold 'em.

I played pretty steady and ended up with $22.60 in chips. I was .50 out
of the lead which ended up with $23.10. I put in the $10 for my
girlfriend and she ended up with over $14, so it was a great night for
us ;-)

I think I've made some new converts to the more formal rules (they'd
been playing all kinds of wild games with cheap chips before). I'll
check out the Home Poker Tourney site and see if I need to buy any more
chips for the futre. Thanks to all.