Silly question about Vaccines.

BTSinAustin

May 5, 2020, 1:17:50 PM5/5/20
Something I have heard over the years bugs me. A news story will talk about anti-vaxxers putting everyone at risk. Measles is the most recent one I can think of.

Scenario: A classroom with 30 kids, 29 have been vaccinated and one is not. The kid with stupid parents gets the measles but all the others are vaccinated.

How does this put the other kids at risk?

VegasJerry

May 5, 2020, 1:27:26 PM5/5/20
Because they eventually leave the classroom.

BTSinAustin

May 5, 2020, 1:40:41 PM5/5/20
And what, infect other anti-vaxxers?

The question Jerry, is that if almost everyone is vaccinated and only a few fools aren't, logically who is at risk?

Tim Norfolk

May 5, 2020, 3:48:55 PM5/5/20
Because the vaccine is never 100% effective. In the most recent measles outbreaks, lots of vaccinated kids got it. However, proportionately, a lot less than the unvaccinated.

BTSinAustin

May 5, 2020, 4:08:29 PM5/5/20
Thanks, logical answer

popinjay

May 5, 2020, 4:52:30 PM5/5/20
And how effective is the fucking flu shot? Does the mercury help? No thanks, I'll take my chances with drinking bleach.

Clave

May 5, 2020, 7:28:10 PM5/5/20
Aside from that being a stupidly unrealistic scenario, suppose a kid in
that class has diabetes or some other autoimmune disease that prevents
them from from taking the virus.

Does that change your thinking at all?

risky biz

May 5, 2020, 9:06:57 PM5/5/20
Why would somneone want their kid to take a virus? Are you on anti-psychotic medication?

Clave

May 5, 2020, 9:44:28 PM5/5/20
On 5/5/2020 4:29 PM, Clave wrote:
> On 5/5/2020 9:17 AM, BTSinAustin wrote:
> Aside from that being a stupidly unrealistic scenario, suppose a kid in
> that class has diabetes or some other autoimmune disease that prevents
> them from from taking the virus.
>
> Does that change your thinking at all?

Apologies for the snotty tone. I misread your motives.

popinjay

May 5, 2020, 10:07:02 PM5/5/20
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 6:44:28 PM UTC-7, Clave wrote:

> Apologies for the snotty tone. I misread your motives.

We're used to it, fuckface, you always have a snotty tone. Because you're snotty. Where's my apology? You apologized to Brian, when do I get my apology? You're always snotty to me, and I don't deserve it. Maybe you misread my motives too, fucking asshole.

BillB

May 6, 2020, 4:26:04 AM5/6/20
The flu shot reduces your chances of contracting the disease by about half (most years). That's very significant.

When my wife had stage 3b ovarian cancer she underwent an experimental/optional treatment that involved 45 radiation treatments to her entire abdomen (the treatment nearly killed her, never mind the disease). That was said to increase her chances of survival by a couple of percent. Some of doctors said it might not be worth it, but I insisted she take the 2% edge (I also advised her chemo doctor to ratchet up her chemo dose to the max...lol).

A lot of the diet advice you hear that is supposed to reduce your chances of heart disease or cancer only gives you a 5-10% edge.

popinjay

May 6, 2020, 7:28:01 AM5/6/20
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 1:26:04 AM UTC-7, BillB wrote:

> When my wife had stage 3b ovarian cancer she underwent an experimental/optional treatment that involved 45 radiation treatments to her entire abdomen (the treatment nearly killed her, never mind the disease). That was said to increase her chances of survival by a couple of percent. Some of doctors said it might not be worth it, but I insisted she take the 2% edge (I also advised her chemo doctor to ratchet up her chemo dose to the max...lol).
>
> A lot of the diet advice you hear that is supposed to reduce your chances of heart disease or cancer only gives you a 5-10% edge.

Do what you want, but like I told Tim, I've eaten seven apricot seeds every day since I was 25, and I've never had ovarian cancer.

risky biz

May 6, 2020, 1:51:20 PM5/6/20
Misreading and snottiness. They go together.

BTSinAustin

May 6, 2020, 2:57:42 PM5/6/20
How is it a stupid scenario that one kid is not vaccinated? That is the very scenario people worry about. Lone anti-vaxxers, try to think for a change.

I get it from your knee jerk reaction that you think I am an anti-vaxxer, no surprise there.

BTSinAustin

May 6, 2020, 2:59:04 PM5/6/20
Noted. thanks

VegasJerry

May 6, 2020, 3:43:03 PM5/6/20
We're supposed to trust your word on that?

Tim Norfolk

May 6, 2020, 8:21:32 PM5/6/20
According to the CDC, they reduce the risk by 40-60%

Tim Norfolk

May 6, 2020, 8:22:17 PM5/6/20
Take what virus? Most vaccines are the shell of the virus, less the RNA inside.

Tim Norfolk

May 6, 2020, 8:23:16 PM5/6/20
That dose is unlikely to kill you. It might cause minor brain damage or heart palpitations.

risky biz

May 6, 2020, 9:51:14 PM5/6/20
Ahhh. That's why it's called a vaccine.

popinjay

May 6, 2020, 10:38:40 PM5/6/20
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 5:23:16 PM UTC-7, Tim Norfolk wrote:

> That dose is unlikely to kill you. It might cause minor brain damage or heart palpitations.

Unlikely? 40 years, every day. lol No cancer, ever. And I won't, either. Never.

I'm glad I'm not as smart as you are.

popinjay

May 6, 2020, 10:54:34 PM5/6/20
Don't eat any of these, professor.

apples
cherries
nectarines
peaches
pears
plums
prunes
squash
cashews
macadamia nuts
pecans
walnuts
flax seed
carrots
celery
wheat grass
yams
butter beans
lima beans
mung beans
buckwheat
cassava millet
fava beans
lentils
alfalfa
blackberries
boysenberries
rasberries

joeturn

May 7, 2020, 2:36:05 AM5/7/20
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 1:17:50 PM UTC-4, BTSinAustin wrote:
The CDC owns patents on more than 20 vaccines and you did not know they were pushing vaccinations?

joeturn

May 7, 2020, 2:40:12 AM5/7/20
“The CDC is a subsidiary of the pharmaceutical industry. The agency owns more than 20 vaccine patents and purchases and sells $4.1 billion in vaccines annually. Congressman Dave Weldon has pointed out that the primary metric for success across the CDC is how many vaccines the agency sells and how successfully the agency expands its vaccine program—regardless of any negative effects on human health.”

Robert F Kennedy, Jr

Tim Norfolk

May 7, 2020, 5:25:17 PM5/7/20
Apparently, it comes from the root word for 'cow' in Latin, because the first vaccinations were with cow pox.